Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 16 2013, 04:01 PM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm not convinced that we're entirely done with DC. Have a feeling we will return to it later on in the season. Beckett and Castle forming their own agency would be an interesting idea, but no way would they totally abandon Espo or Ryan to do that, and I don't see either of them leaving the force either in order to do that.
They wouldn't have to abandon them. Most fictional PI series have recurring or regular police characters who either work alongside the detectives or clash with them. Sherlock Holmes had Lestrade, Batman has Commissioner Gordon, Jim Rockford had Dennis, Jessica Fletcher had a couple of different Cabot Cove sheriffs, Harry Dresden has Murphy, etc.

Although, admittedly, it would be contrived for Beckett & Castle, PIs to keep getting the same homicide cases that Ryan and Esposito were assigned to. But series television is full of such contrivances. (How come every homicide case the prosecutors on Law & Order handled in a given season was investigated by the same pair of detectives from the same precinct?)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:37 AM   #77
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I could see Castle just going ahead and getting a PI license at least - something to sorta give him a reason to hang around the cops BESIDES what he's done for the past 6 years. Although I think it would be funny albeit a tad cheesy if the Mayor just appointed him like a 'special deputy for the NYPD' or some kind of legit yet appointed title besides just 'consultant'

Not that Rick really needs the money, how much has he spent on cases over the years? LOL But still... be nice to see him recognized. I think if that happened in the real world where a book author took it upon himself to help murder victims' families find justice that would be front page news and that guy would get a badge by now.
Old October 17 2013, 01:37 PM   #78
Christopher
Writer

Arthur Conan Doyle actually did help the police solve crimes from time to time. But he was still more famous as a writer, I believe.

Old October 22 2013, 04:03 AM   #79
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

- Doctor Who reference

- Tim Russ

- The whole episode DIDN'T categorically deny that the time travel schtick was a schtick.

I smell SPINOFF!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 04:07 AM   #80
Christopher
Writer

Kinda fun, but they went a bit too far with the "Yes, the time travel is real" gags at the end. They could've left it a little more ambiguous.

But they did surprise me. Since Tim Russ was a) the most famous guest star (at least as far as I knew, though a couple of the others looked familiar) and b) the first person they questioned, I expected he'd turn out to be the killer; but instead, he was a victim. So they subverted the formula there.

Old October 22 2013, 05:20 AM   #81
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Okay, I know last week I said this episode looked like it was going to suck. I'm happy to admit I was totally wrong.

Usually when there's one of these conspiracy theory/paranormal phenomena episodes, Castle is decisively proven wrong at the end. I love that they left the door open just enough with Doyle vanishing and Beckett spilling the coffee on the letter. Really cool episode, and the guy who played Doyle gave an awesome performance. This is one I might watch again while it's available On Demand.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 05:58 AM   #82
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Castle is now Science Fiction.

Can we move this thread to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Subforum please?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 09:19 AM   #83
TimmyWl
Commodore

I thought the episode was good. The whole time travel thing was tempered by the loss of Castle's daughter. It was sad that Castle had the last words "too soon".
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 11:10 AM   #84
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Its a fun episode. Two sci-fi guest stars too, Tim Russ from Voyager and Joshua Gomez from Chuck. Its a pity neither are time travel shows... okay Voyager does have some time travel, but I don't remember any time traveling in Chuck.

I find it hard to believe that Esposito watches Doctor Who.
Old October 22 2013, 11:23 AM   #85
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Okay, I know last week I said this episode looked like it was going to suck. I'm happy to admit I was totally wrong.

Usually when there's one of these conspiracy theory/paranormal phenomena episodes, Castle is decisively proven wrong at the end. I love that they left the door open just enough with Doyle vanishing and Beckett spilling the coffee on the letter.
The stain was precisely the same shape and density though, so it's more a case of blowing the door off its hinges, since that is so unlikely it is as good as impossible.
Old October 22 2013, 01:52 PM   #86
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

^^ Just gotta roll with it. I really liked this episode, it was well written, and well acted. It's best they just leave the time travel alone and never bring it up again, but it was a lot of fun. The one (very minor) thing that bothers me is that Alexis says that she can get work study money. Bullshit. I work in the Financial Aid industry and unless she legally emancipated herself, Castle's money would never allow her to be eligible for financial aid, which does include work study.
Old October 22 2013, 03:40 PM   #87
Christopher
Writer

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Its a fun episode. Two sci-fi guest stars too, Tim Russ from Voyager and Joshua Gomez from Chuck.
Oh, was that the time traveler? Yeah, I knew I recognized him from somewhere, but I couldn't place him. I only watched the first 2-3 episodes of Chuck before losing interest, so that must be why.

The episode also featured Rod Rowland from Space: Above and Beyond, though I doubt he was cast because of that SF connection. And the lecturer/environmentalist guy was played by Sam Daly, who recently played Superman (following in the footsteps of his father Tim Daly) in the Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox animated DVD, which also featured Nathan Fillion as the Green Lantern.

Old October 22 2013, 05:40 PM   #88
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Kinda fun, but they went a bit too far with the "Yes, the time travel is real" gags at the end. They could've left it a little more ambiguous.

But they did surprise me. Since Tim Russ was a) the most famous guest star (at least as far as I knew, though a couple of the others looked familiar) and b) the first person they questioned, I expected he'd turn out to be the killer; but instead, he was a victim. So they subverted the formula there.
I admit, I was expecting Russ to be the killer, too.
Old October 22 2013, 05:54 PM   #89
Forbin
Admiral

MORGAN!!! My wife and I fell down laughing when we saw him.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 06:16 PM   #90
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed this episode and was delighted to see the light-hearted banter back. I liked the way that Castle admits that although the other explanations were more reasonable, his were more fun. I also liked the "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." type ending to the case. I have to admit I like the Alexis and Pi situation. (Yes, Pi is annoying but he's supposed to be. ) I like that we're seeing Alexis making decisions that don't sit well with dear old dad. Having an 18 year-old daughter myself, I can tell you it is an awkward transition to go from parenting a child to a more advisory role to a young adult.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie