Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by spinnerlys, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enjoyed the second episode more than the first. I don't think this storyline is too "big" for "Castle". The series is a mystery show. It is all about uncovering secrets and exposing lies and solving mysteries, at any level while revolving around the relationship between Rick and Kate. I thought these first two episodes did a great job of building upon that notion. I believe Lisa Edelstein is on board for a three episode arc?

Will be watching last night's episode sometime hopefully later this week.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Come back when you do. :lol:

Last night's episode, the third, was the best of the season but I didn't like the ending.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, the best episode of this season for now (not that it says much being 3 episodes in) but it felt like Castle again with the gang together.

As to the end.. well, breaking the rules might work in a local environment (as local as NYC can be) but with federal agencies it will get you fired because they don't know how awesome Becket is and how cute and how skilled etc.

It may have been justice but she still broke the rules which is kinda odd for Beckett to do but then last episode already made it clear that she can't "just do her job" and ignore possible ramifications.
    Beckett is about justice above all and in NYC she always made sure that justice was served (or maybe she just got lucky and justice + letter of the law always coincided).

Well.. may not have been the way she wanted to end things but she was already on the trajectory out by herself. She can count herself lucky if the Feds don't push a charge on her for obstruction or something like that.

However Castle found the solution i had ages ago.. he is not tied anymore to NYC once Alexis went to college, he's got enough money to afford two high class appartments and he can work anywhere where there is a computer, typewriter or pen/paper. It was still a very nice gesture and i'm happy Beckett accepted it without much discussion. It was the perfect solution after all.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I was happy to see Castle acting so maturely. Getting an apartment in DC was the obvious answer.

I was a little surprised that they had Beckett be fired. I was expecting her to go back to the NYPD her own accord. Of course it's possible she had a pretty good idea what was going to happen when she leaked that information and it was her way of quitting without actually quitting.

5. Admiral_Young

Great episode...and I agree too best episode of the season, although I didn't have a problem with the first two. I hope we will see Agent McCord again. An interesting way of starting off this season.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hate Pi (aka John Oates). I hope that they will be required to solve his murder very soon.

7. Admiral_Young

"Pi!!!!" *Says in Castle voice*. Yeah he can go any time now.

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked last night's episode. It was creative, and fun and for once a politician wasn't evil. I'm hoping Detective Sullivan and Pi run off together, never to be seed again. My favorite line: "She dotted the I".

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And for once the biggest-name actor (Tom Amandes) wasn't the killer, and for once it wasn't the first person they interviewed.

No surprise they got Beckett her job back, but it just occurred to me that it might've been interesting if they hadn't -- if Beckett and Castle had opened their own private detective agency. Although this show is too comfortable in its formula for that to have been a realistic prospect.

10. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now I don't know for a fact but wasn't the killer on Bones last night the same killer on Castle? If so that's awesome!

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am waiting for the episode where Beckett walks in and sees Castle standing over Pi's body.

"Of course I did it. Have you met him?"

12. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Id say the worst part of the entire DC arch is the Senator never made an appearance, and its very contrived that Andy got her job back. but its all fun.

13. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. It's not even the first time I thought it (the other time being the hiatus between seasons last year, when Beckett was suspended). But yeah, they're too comfortable in their formula and invested in the other characters to go for a change like that.

I was sort of disappointed in the preview for next week, though. After four really strong episodes, it looks like we're back to the "Castle signs onto every far-fetched and dopey theory just to get a rise out of Beckett" thing that plagued last season.

14. Admiral_Young

I'm not convinced that we're entirely done with DC. Have a feeling we will return to it later on in the season. Beckett and Castle forming their own agency would be an interesting idea, but no way would they totally abandon Espo or Ryan to do that, and I don't see either of them leaving the force either in order to do that.

Enjoyed Monday's episode. Captain Gates has mellowed a bit I've noticed, while still being "stern". Sully isn't that annoying, at least not as annoying as Pi is and obviously meant to be. The band looks back together again as well.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Might work better for me if "sully" didn't have such a horribly fake Boston accent. If you're going to be a Sully, shouldn't have to stretch it. I'm over him, he can go now...

16. Christopher

They wouldn't have to abandon them. Most fictional PI series have recurring or regular police characters who either work alongside the detectives or clash with them. Sherlock Holmes had Lestrade, Batman has Commissioner Gordon, Jim Rockford had Dennis, Jessica Fletcher had a couple of different Cabot Cove sheriffs, Harry Dresden has Murphy, etc.

Although, admittedly, it would be contrived for Beckett & Castle, PIs to keep getting the same homicide cases that Ryan and Esposito were assigned to. But series television is full of such contrivances. (How come every homicide case the prosecutors on Law & Order handled in a given season was investigated by the same pair of detectives from the same precinct?)

17. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I could see Castle just going ahead and getting a PI license at least - something to sorta give him a reason to hang around the cops BESIDES what he's done for the past 6 years. Although I think it would be funny albeit a tad cheesy if the Mayor just appointed him like a 'special deputy for the NYPD' or some kind of legit yet appointed title besides just 'consultant'

Not that Rick really needs the money, how much has he spent on cases over the years? LOL But still... be nice to see him recognized. I think if that happened in the real world where a book author took it upon himself to help murder victims' families find justice that would be front page news and that guy would get a badge by now.

18. Christopher

Arthur Conan Doyle actually did help the police solve crimes from time to time. But he was still more famous as a writer, I believe.

19. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

- Doctor Who reference

- Tim Russ

- The whole episode DIDN'T categorically deny that the time travel schtick was a schtick.

I smell SPINOFF! :)

Mark

20. Christopher

Kinda fun, but they went a bit too far with the "Yes, the time travel is real" gags at the end. They could've left it a little more ambiguous.

But they did surprise me. Since Tim Russ was a) the most famous guest star (at least as far as I knew, though a couple of the others looked familiar) and b) the first person they questioned, I expected he'd turn out to be the killer; but instead, he was a victim. So they subverted the formula there.