RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,145
Posts: 5,434,166
Members: 24,936
Currently online: 523
Newest member: davidhan

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 20 2013, 10:10 PM   #16
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

I feel no guilt in my love for Event Horizon, and this thread has inspired me to watch it again. It builds a great, scary atmosphere and sense of dread. The Dead Space videogame pays great homage to it.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
Hellraiser Bloodline
The original Hellraiser is my favourite horror film, but the franchise overall really is a mess. Still, I find Bloodline very enjoyable and it would have been a really great movie if the studio hadn't butchered it so much.

It's the last movie of the series to really try to tell an interesting Hellraiser story, rather than just be a psychological thriller with Pinhead slapped on, until Revelations. And that film is depressingly rushed and cheap.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:18 PM   #17
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

I recently picked up EH on Blu Ray, but I don't want to watch it alone...unless I'm listening to the commentary track, then it's okay.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 11:43 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Just to show off, I actually edited the novelization of Event Horizon, which sold pretty well as I recall . . . .
I loved Event Horizon, the only thing that reduced the movie was the part where the rescue ship just about rams into the Event Horizon herself.

Does the book explain how this could possibly happen?

Honestly, that was sixteen years ago. I don't remember!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:02 AM   #19
WalkerBait
Trekker4747
 
WalkerBait's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

FUCKING GOOGLE IT!!!
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FUCKING GOOGLE IT!!!
I did, and to be honest the pickin's were slim.

But I did find this:

http://www.horrormovies.org/database...ds/Futuristic/
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:29 AM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

I believe Resident Evil IV is animated and about Zombies on a Spaceship
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:40 AM   #22
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I believe Resident Evil IV is animated and about Zombies on a Spaceship
Huh? Resident Evil IV the game is set in the present day, Resident Evil: Afterlife features no spaceships and set in the present day too.

Degeneration and Damnation (the CGI movies) are pretty contemporary too.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:45 AM   #23
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I feel no guilt in my love for Event Horizon, and this thread has inspired me to watch it again. It builds a great, scary atmosphere and sense of dread. The Dead Space videogame pays great homage to it.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
Hellraiser Bloodline
The original Hellraiser is my favourite horror film, but the franchise overall really is a mess. Still, I find Bloodline very enjoyable and it would have been a really great movie if the studio hadn't butchered it so much.

It's the last movie of the series to really try to tell an interesting Hellraiser story, rather than just be a psychological thriller with Pinhead slapped on, until Revelations. And that film is depressingly rushed and cheap.
Clive Barker has said that he wants to write the ultimate, absoutely final Hellraiser film where they completely and unequivocally kill off Pinhead for good this time, without the slightest possibility of bringing him back. I wonder if he's still working on that.

That being said, my favorite was the third film, I just got majorly creeped out by actually watching people being turned into Cenobites (and of course the nightclub massacre ).

And of course Terry Farrell.

Side note: Is there ANY truth to the rumor that Pinhead was supposed to appear in the final moments of Freddy vs. Jason? Supposedly he would have broken up a fight between them and calmly asked, "Gentlemen...what seems to be the problem?"
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:57 AM   #24
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I believe Resident Evil IV is animated and about Zombies on a Spaceship
Huh? Resident Evil IV the game is set in the present day, Resident Evil: Afterlife features no spaceships and set in the present day too.

Degeneration and Damnation (the CGI movies) are pretty contemporary too.
Hmmm. Degeneration was what i was thinking of, but, yea, that was a blunder

I wonder what I am mixing it up with
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:15 AM   #25
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain
 
ReadyAndWilling's Avatar
 
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Did somebody call for a horror expert?

Assuming you've seen Alien, which is easily the best, then I'd suggest the excellent Planet of the Vampires and Queen of Blood. If you're on the look-out for dumb fun, then go for Pandorum and Hellraiser: Bloodline.

Mr. Light wrote:
For some reason "Jason X" springs to mind...
It has some great moments but is largely bland and boring. New Line Cinema have never understood how to treat the franchise. I can watch the first 8 films over and over.
Alright, thanks!

I really enjoyed Daybreakers as well. I'd love to see something similar to this as well!
__________________
Star Trek: 1987-2002

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 08:17 AM   #26
EmoBorg
Captain
 
EmoBorg's Avatar
 
Location: in the 10 dimensions of reality
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

Pandorum was a spaceship based horror show and i would highly recommend it.

If you like animation, i would also recommend Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space Aftermath
Both movies are based on the horror space game Dead Space.
__________________
MAN WITH A MISSION - Emotions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; October 21 2013 at 08:36 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 05:42 PM   #27
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
Clive Barker has said that he wants to write the ultimate, absoutely final Hellraiser film where they completely and unequivocally kill off Pinhead for good this time, without the slightest possibility of bringing him back. I wonder if he's still working on that.
Well, Pinhead dies for good in the film Bloodline. Barker has finished work on a novel called The Scarlet Gospel, which is going to also kill him off forever, and has recently submitted it to his publisher. Sadly though, he's left it so long that it almost seems pointless killing off Pinhead forever, as the franchise has been essentially dead for years and years.

Side note: Is there ANY truth to the rumor that Pinhead was supposed to appear in the final moments of Freddy vs. Jason? Supposedly he would have broken up a fight between them and calmly asked, "Gentlemen...what seems to be the problem?"
I've heard this many times, but I don't fully buy it. Did they really think they'd be able to get the rights?

Freddy vs Jason has a lot to like about it, but is hindered by a cast of victims that are the worst in any slasher I've seen. Apart from scream queen Katherine Isabelle from the Ginger Snaps trilogy.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 06:08 PM   #28
Shawnster
Fleet Captain
 
Shawnster's Avatar
 
Location: Clinton, OH
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

It's not futuristic, but you might enjoy The Thing.

Lifeforce. Would Lifeforce qualify? It's got vampirism after all.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 06:31 PM   #29
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Pandorum was a spaceship based horror show and i would highly recommend it.

If you like animation, i would also recommend Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space Aftermath
Both movies are based on the horror space game Dead Space.
Hmmm...Maybe Dead Space was what I was thinking of.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 07:17 PM   #30
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral
 
I Am The Walrus's Avatar
 
Location: Saga
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus
Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I feel no guilt in my love for Event Horizon, and this thread has inspired me to watch it again. It builds a great, scary atmosphere and sense of dread. The Dead Space videogame pays great homage to it.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
Hellraiser Bloodline
The original Hellraiser is my favourite horror film, but the franchise overall really is a mess. Still, I find Bloodline very enjoyable and it would have been a really great movie if the studio hadn't butchered it so much.

It's the last movie of the series to really try to tell an interesting Hellraiser story, rather than just be a psychological thriller with Pinhead slapped on, until Revelations. And that film is depressingly rushed and cheap.
Clive Barker has said that he wants to write the ultimate, absoutely final Hellraiser film where they completely and unequivocally kill off Pinhead for good this time, without the slightest possibility of bringing him back. I wonder if he's still working on that.

That being said, my favorite was the third film, I just got majorly creeped out by actually watching people being turned into Cenobites (and of course the nightclub massacre ).

And of course Terry Farrell.

Side note: Is there ANY truth to the rumor that Pinhead was supposed to appear in the final moments of Freddy vs. Jason? Supposedly he would have broken up a fight between them and calmly asked, "Gentlemen...what seems to be the problem?"
i had always heard that rumor about Pinhead in Freddy vs Jason as well. i recently watched Crystal Lake Memories, a seven hour documentary about the films and they didn't mention this when they discussed alternate endings.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
horror

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.