CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 20 2013, 10:10 PM   #16
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Futuristic Horror Movies?

I feel no guilt in my love for Event Horizon, and this thread has inspired me to watch it again. It builds a great, scary atmosphere and sense of dread. The Dead Space videogame pays great homage to it.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
Hellraiser Bloodline
The original Hellraiser is my favourite horror film, but the franchise overall really is a mess. Still, I find Bloodline very enjoyable and it would have been a really great movie if the studio hadn't butchered it so much.

It's the last movie of the series to really try to tell an interesting Hellraiser story, rather than just be a psychological thriller with Pinhead slapped on, until Revelations. And that film is depressingly rushed and cheap.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:18 PM   #17
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I recently picked up EH on Blu Ray, but I don't want to watch it alone...unless I'm listening to the commentary track, then it's okay.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 11:43 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Just to show off, I actually edited the novelization of Event Horizon, which sold pretty well as I recall . . . .
I loved Event Horizon, the only thing that reduced the movie was the part where the rescue ship just about rams into the Event Horizon herself.

Does the book explain how this could possibly happen?

Honestly, that was sixteen years ago. I don't remember!
Old October 21 2013, 12:02 AM   #19
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

FUCKING GOOGLE IT!!!
Old October 21 2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FUCKING GOOGLE IT!!!
I did, and to be honest the pickin's were slim.

But I did find this:

http://www.horrormovies.org/database...ds/Futuristic/
Old October 21 2013, 12:29 AM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I believe Resident Evil IV is animated and about Zombies on a Spaceship

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:40 AM   #22
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Huh? Resident Evil IV the game is set in the present day, Resident Evil: Afterlife features no spaceships and set in the present day too.

Degeneration and Damnation (the CGI movies) are pretty contemporary too.
Old October 21 2013, 12:45 AM   #23
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I feel no guilt in my love for Event Horizon, and this thread has inspired me to watch it again. It builds a great, scary atmosphere and sense of dread. The Dead Space videogame pays great homage to it.

Hellraiser Bloodline
The original Hellraiser is my favourite horror film, but the franchise overall really is a mess. Still, I find Bloodline very enjoyable and it would have been a really great movie if the studio hadn't butchered it so much.

It's the last movie of the series to really try to tell an interesting Hellraiser story, rather than just be a psychological thriller with Pinhead slapped on, until Revelations. And that film is depressingly rushed and cheap.
Clive Barker has said that he wants to write the ultimate, absoutely final Hellraiser film where they completely and unequivocally kill off Pinhead for good this time, without the slightest possibility of bringing him back. I wonder if he's still working on that.

That being said, my favorite was the third film, I just got majorly creeped out by actually watching people being turned into Cenobites (and of course the nightclub massacre ).

And of course Terry Farrell.

Side note: Is there ANY truth to the rumor that Pinhead was supposed to appear in the final moments of Freddy vs. Jason? Supposedly he would have broken up a fight between them and calmly asked, "Gentlemen...what seems to be the problem?"
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:57 AM   #24
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Huh? Resident Evil IV the game is set in the present day, Resident Evil: Afterlife features no spaceships and set in the present day too.

Degeneration and Damnation (the CGI movies) are pretty contemporary too.
Hmmm. Degeneration was what i was thinking of, but, yea, that was a blunder

I wonder what I am mixing it up with

Old October 21 2013, 04:15 AM   #25
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Did somebody call for a horror expert?

Assuming you've seen Alien, which is easily the best, then I'd suggest the excellent Planet of the Vampires and Queen of Blood. If you're on the look-out for dumb fun, then go for Pandorum and Hellraiser: Bloodline.

Mr. Light wrote:
For some reason "Jason X" springs to mind...
It has some great moments but is largely bland and boring. New Line Cinema have never understood how to treat the franchise. I can watch the first 8 films over and over.
Alright, thanks!

I really enjoyed Daybreakers as well. I'd love to see something similar to this as well!

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 08:17 AM   #26
EmoBorg
Captain

Pandorum was a spaceship based horror show and i would highly recommend it.

If you like animation, i would also recommend Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space Aftermath
Both movies are based on the horror space game Dead Space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; October 21 2013 at 08:36 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 05:42 PM   #27
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
Clive Barker has said that he wants to write the ultimate, absoutely final Hellraiser film where they completely and unequivocally kill off Pinhead for good this time, without the slightest possibility of bringing him back. I wonder if he's still working on that.
Well, Pinhead dies for good in the film Bloodline. Barker has finished work on a novel called The Scarlet Gospel, which is going to also kill him off forever, and has recently submitted it to his publisher. Sadly though, he's left it so long that it almost seems pointless killing off Pinhead forever, as the franchise has been essentially dead for years and years.

Side note: Is there ANY truth to the rumor that Pinhead was supposed to appear in the final moments of Freddy vs. Jason? Supposedly he would have broken up a fight between them and calmly asked, "Gentlemen...what seems to be the problem?"
I've heard this many times, but I don't fully buy it. Did they really think they'd be able to get the rights?

Freddy vs Jason has a lot to like about it, but is hindered by a cast of victims that are the worst in any slasher I've seen. Apart from scream queen Katherine Isabelle from the Ginger Snaps trilogy.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 06:08 PM   #28
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

It's not futuristic, but you might enjoy The Thing.

Lifeforce. Would Lifeforce qualify? It's got vampirism after all.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 06:31 PM   #29
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Pandorum was a spaceship based horror show and i would highly recommend it.

If you like animation, i would also recommend Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space Aftermath
Both movies are based on the horror space game Dead Space.
Hmmm...Maybe Dead Space was what I was thinking of.

Old October 21 2013, 07:17 PM   #30
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post

Hellraiser Bloodline

That being said, my favorite was the third film, I just got majorly creeped out by actually watching people being turned into Cenobites (and of course the nightclub massacre ).

And of course Terry Farrell.

i had always heard that rumor about Pinhead in Freddy vs Jason as well. i recently watched Crystal Lake Memories, a seven hour documentary about the films and they didn't mention this when they discussed alternate endings.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote