Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 18 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Netflix VS HuluPlus...

Amazon Prime and Netflix generally have very similar movie libraries, but it does have some exclusives: All of TNT's original shows are exclusive to Prime, as are Justified, Downton Abbey and The West Wing. If you have kids, Prime's streaming collection curb-stomps Netflix's.

Overall, I consider Amazon Prime the best $79 I spend every September. Free two-day shipping on anything directly sold by Amazon pays for itself after like four orders, and the streaming service is an added boost. For roughly $6.50 a month, that's pretty great.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 09:55 PM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Netflix is a better value overall. Hulu has a lot of currently aired shows whereas Netflix doesn't get TV until they come out on DVD, and there's a handful of shows I was able to find on Hulu but not Netflix (Hill Street Blues, Community). And Hulu has all the Criterion stuff. But if you only want to go with one, Netflix is the clear choice.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 11:43 PM   #18
Mr Light
Admiral

I just checked my Netflix, and the entire run of West Wing is on there.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 12:19 AM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Must have been a timed exclusive, then. I remember there being a big hubbub about The West Wing moving exclusively to Amazon last summer.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 01:28 AM   #20
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The West Wing was just added to Netflix recently, within the last 6ish months.

Amazon has Stargate last I knew.
Old October 19 2013, 02:26 AM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Must have been a timed exclusive, then. I remember there being a big hubbub about The West Wing moving exclusively to Amazon last summer.
This article suggests Amazon's "exclusive" window is pretty short.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 04:10 AM   #22
Mr Light
Admiral

Netflix doesn't have any of the Stargate series, just the movie and the 2 dvd movies.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 05:32 AM   #23
Skywalker
Admiral

They used to have all of the Stargate shows, IIRC. I know they at least had SG-1; that was how I finally watched through the whole show for the first time.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 08:45 PM   #24
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

I have both and while we use Netflix significantly more than Hulu, I have found that Hulu has some more anime selections than Netflix and a few other "niche" programs that Netflix doesn't. Netflix is still superior IMHO.
Old October 21 2013, 01:51 PM   #25
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Netflix doesn't have any of the Stargate series, just the movie and the 2 dvd movies.
But with separate proxy service you can check out Netflixes from other areas. For example Nordic Netflix has SG-1 & Atlantis.

Netflix limited to one area can be kind of limited, but with separate proxy service you get Netflixes from all areas and much more to watch. One Netflix account works in all areas.
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

I subscribe to both. They each have their pros that the other doesn't offer. Netflix definitely has a way bigger library. No commercials. And is probably available on most devices you can think of.

Hulu Plus has current TV shows, which go up only a day after air. The reason I subscribe to it is so I can watch the shows on my 50" LED. I don't have cable because it would be a complete waste of money for me as I rarely watch anything. In the rare situation where I want to watch a show that isn't offered on Hulu Plus I just buy a season pass on Amazon. Yes, there are commercials on Hulu Plus, but they're brief. Typical commercial breaks have only 3 fifteen second ads. The show is back in under a minute.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 05:25 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Amazon Prime > Netflix > Hulu

Amazon Prime is the best bet in my opinion, but that's personal preference of them hitting my card only once a year and the free shipping as much as I buy from Amazon. If that doesn't factor in, Netflix is definitely good and the only reason I dropped them for Amazon was the shipping bonus. Hulu... their website isn't user friendly and I refuse to pay to watch commercials on principle.
Old November 1 2013, 06:07 AM   #28
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

.:: TSN ::. wrote: View Post
But with separate proxy service you can check out Netflixes from other areas. For example Nordic Netflix has SG-1 & Atlantis.

Netflix limited to one area can be kind of limited, but with separate proxy service you get Netflixes from all areas and much more to watch. One Netflix account works in all areas.
And how do you do that??? Inquiring minds would love to know!
Old November 14 2013, 03:58 AM   #29
PKerr
Rear Admiral

I dropped Netflix a few years back when they split their streaming and disc service and picked up Amazon Prime, $79.00 a year opposed to $96.00 plus the 2 day shipping on 95% of the stuff I buy, I'm a gamer so I get most of my games from them,tax free BTW.
They also offer up something on the Kindle books side for free with Prime but I don't use that part of the service so I'm not sure what all it entails.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 04:14 AM   #30
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Also Prime starting next year will be delivering packages on Sundays for most of the USA, and starting this holiday season for LA and NYC.