Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 7 2013, 10:36 PM   #616
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Talia can't be happy that Shiva stole her pa.

That'll give us Damien in a time travel episode.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:24 AM   #617
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Not good news

CN has pulled off this show, both premieres and reruns, off the schedule.

I wonder if no toy line like "Green Lantern" had some effect.
Old October 21 2013, 05:31 AM   #618
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Fracking bastards!
Old October 21 2013, 05:34 AM   #619
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well that didn't last long.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 06:07 AM   #620
sojourner
Vice Admiral

W. T. F.?????
Old October 21 2013, 12:30 PM   #621
Mr Light
Admiral

what the frack?! They yanked the far superior Young Justice for this show, only to yank this show as well?! I was actually mildly enjoying this show, too, for showing previously unanimated Bat characters...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 03:11 PM   #622
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I have to agree about gun carrying Alfred.
Really?
Cause Batman is A)a gun lover B)would tolerate his family friend/caretaker tailing on missions like a Watson.
The original Bat character did carry a gun, it wasn't until later the comics retconed and rewrote the character
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 03:20 PM   #623
Christopher
Writer

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
The original Bat character did carry a gun, it wasn't until later the comics retconed and rewrote the character
Yeah, a year or two later. Sure, 1938 Batman was a gun-toting pulp hero, but that had been abandoned by the early 1940s. The way you say it implies that it was the status quo for a long time, but that's simply untrue. It was an early, tentative portrayal of the character that was swiftly abandoned along with other first-draft elements like the hyphen in his name, the purple gloves, and the New York setting.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:12 PM   #624
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Correct and even during that brief period he did not use a gun that often.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:41 PM   #625
Christopher
Writer

Dick Whitman wrote: View Post
Correct and even during that brief period he did not use a gun that often.
That's right. Looking at the synopses of the early issues of Detective Comics, it seems that usually he tried to apprehend the villains alive, and if they died, it was by accident or by their own folly. He usually used his fists or batarangs, and only resorted to guns in rare circumstances.

Here's a good essay on Batman's gun use in his first year:

http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2005/08...-and-guns.html

Several of the shots of Batman using guns are just splash-page or cover art that's not actually part of the story. In one instance, he shoots at a machine; in another, he fires a gun to signal the police. The first time we see him actually shoot anyone, he's shooting a vampire with a silver bullet. The only other time is when he strafes a truck from the Batplane, trying to stop its occupants from releasing one of Hugo Strange's monsters. There, he says, "Much as I hate to take human life, I'm afraid this time it's necessary!" And that story, published only ten months after the character's debut, was the last time he was shown intentionally killing anyone, due to an editorial backlash to that very scene. The next time he was shown using a gun three issues later, it was only to wing a sniper, and an editor's note explicitly states that he'd never kill with a gun and usually doesn't carry one.

So really, Batman only used guns to kill living people on that single occasion (since vampires are undead), and even then he stated that it was an exception to his moral code. This meme out there that "Batman used to use guns," as if he were some sort of Punisher-type killer for a significant amount of time, is a gross distortion of the facts, an attempt to impose modern tastes for more violent "heroes" onto the character.

Old October 21 2013, 05:58 PM   #626
sojourner
Vice Admiral

"rubber bullets, honest"
Old October 21 2013, 06:06 PM   #627
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Not good news

CN has pulled off this show, both premieres and reruns, off the schedule.

I wonder if no toy line like "Green Lantern" had some effect.
I can't honestly say I'm surprised... I just couldn't get into it.. Even my everything Batman-loving son didn't care for it.
Old October 21 2013, 06:42 PM   #628
Christopher
Writer

^But you're assuming there's a correlation between the show's removal from the schedule and its audience reception. Given that CN did the same thing with the popular Young Justice and Green Lantern, I don't think we can conclude that. CN's current regime just seems to find older-skewing action shows incompatible with their preferred identity for the network. They seem to prefer younger-skewing, more comical stuff, and are thus less supportive of shows like this.

Old October 21 2013, 09:43 PM   #629
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
So really, Batman only used guns to kill living people on that single occasion (since vampires are undead), and even then he stated that it was an exception to his moral code. This meme out there that "Batman used to use guns," as if he were some sort of Punisher-type killer for a significant amount of time, is a gross distortion of the facts, an attempt to impose modern tastes for more violent "heroes" onto the character.
I don't think it's a case of imposing modern tastes by spotlighting his gun use, but rather hanging a lamp on the fact that Batman is a derivative of the pulp character, the Shadow. Whenever I read those early stories, I don't see a prototypical Punisher. Instead, I note all of the "homages" (a generous term) to Walter Gibson and his work on the Shadow. The images of him wielding guns are more evocative of what came before (the Shadow and other pulp vigilantes) than what came after (the Punisher and his ilk).
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 10:00 PM   #630
Christopher
Writer

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
I don't think it's a case of imposing modern tastes by spotlighting his gun use, but rather hanging a lamp on the fact that Batman is a derivative of the pulp character, the Shadow. Whenever I read those early stories, I don't see a prototypical Punisher. Instead, I note all of the "homages" (a generous term) to Walter Gibson and his work on the Shadow. The images of him wielding guns are more evocative of what came before (the Shadow and other pulp vigilantes) than what came after (the Punisher and his ilk).
Well, sure, but that's because you've actually read the stories and know the facts. I'm talking about the people out there who misrepresent or misunderstand the facts. I've heard rhetoric from some people who exaggerate Batman's early gun use as if to imply that it was routine and normative for a long time, and that his revision into a nonlethal, gun-free vigilante was something that happened after decades rather than just ten months. Maybe that's not intentional misrepresentation; maybe they're just confused and conflating this change in Batman's character with ones that came later, say, when the Comics Code was instituted. But there are still a lot of people out there who haven't read the original comics as you have, and who have a lot of misconceptions about the extent and prominence of Batman's early gun use.