Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 20 2013, 01:44 AM   #226
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Raava did say that no matter the outcome of the Harmonic Convergence they would still emerge from each other. If Vaatu won, light would grow inside of him until Raava emerged again.

Maybe Vaatu is attempting to reenter the physical world by reemerging through Raava, which is now the Avatar.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 01:50 AM   #227
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Saw it again and yeah, Raava held the other three elements while Wan used just one, then he switched between them when Raava passed through him. What threw me off was seeing Wan get water and then use it right away. I assume at that point that Raava held the other two elements while he got waterbending.

Reverend wrote: View Post
However it plays out, I'd be a little disappointed if all they end of doing is shoving him back in his cage for another ten millennia.
Yeah, that would be lame. If the writing is any good then something more than that has to happen. The first event resulted in the lion turtles and the spirits going away, mankind getting bending permanently and the creation of the avatar. A second event should result in something big too. Either a spiritual shift or a dark avatar or something else along those lines. I've been reading other boards and Unalaq as a the dark avatar seems to be popular. Episode 2x10 is titled "A New Spiritual Age". Don't know what that means but it sounds promising. Maybe we'll get something well before the finale and see it play out.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 01:52 AM   #228
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

Maybe Book 3 will be titled "Dark" with 4 serving as "Light". It would be fairly daring if Korra failed at the end of this book, leading into the plot of the third.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 02:01 AM   #229
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Hunter X wrote: View Post
Maybe Book 3 will be titled "Dark" with 4 serving as "Light". It would be fairly daring if Korra failed at the end of this book, leading into the plot of the third.
"Elements" came to mind after I saw last night's episode. Then "Darkness" popped into my head as another possibility after I made my post.

I don't know if Book 2 will end with Korra failing because from what I heard, Nickelodeon wants this show to have standalone seasons but I read that books 3 and 4 might be more connected so maybe you're onto something there.
Old October 20 2013, 05:33 AM   #230
JD
Admiral

Wow, that was an awesome episode. I absolutely loved the art style they used with the backgrounds that looked like an old style Chinese or Japanese painting.
I was also wondering if Unalaq is involved with Vaatu somehow. Didn't we already see him crossover into the Spirit world? Or was he just going from the Northern to Southern Water Tribes?
Old October 20 2013, 07:33 AM   #231
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

i think It would be a mistake to have Unalaq converge with Vaatu. I like the idea of Unalaq as a pawn, but im still curious as to where Amon is. There is no way he is dead. I would like to see him return with some master plan to converge with Vaatu. that or have him team up with Korra and friends to take out whoever does become this Dark Avatar. either way, he was an awesome character and one of the better ones in this show. he needs a good welcoming home and I believe he will get it.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 12:47 PM   #232
Mr Light
Admiral

Amon's dead. The boat exploded and he had no warning it was going to happen.

I hope we get a dark avatar, but it should be a young person, not Unaloq.

I thought of another little problem with "Beginnings". Given that this was 10,000 years ago I expected human buildings and technology to be a lot more primitive. They shouldn't have had nice buildings and tempered steel like that.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 02:11 PM   #233
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
I was also wondering if Unalaq is involved with Vaatu somehow. Didn't we already see him crossover into the Spirit world? Or was he just going from the Northern to Southern Water Tribes?
When he emerged from the portal, Desna (I think) asked "Were you in the Spirit World?" but he didn't answer.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Eska?

I thought of another little problem with "Beginnings". Given that this was 10,000 years ago I expected human buildings and technology to be a lot more primitive. They shouldn't have had nice buildings and tempered steel like that.
Well, there's no set time frame for technological progress. It tends to follow punctuated equilibrium, remaining at a stable level until there's an incentive and opportunity for advancement. The level of technology that Europe had at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution had been reached by China 700 years earlier, but the difference was that China was stable and prosperous as it was and thus had no incentive for change, whereas Europe was comparatively poor and lacking in land and resources and thus had a strong incentive for change. And then you have different societies around the world existing at comparable levels but not making the same innovations -- for instance, the Native Americans never adopting wheeled vehicles.

The existence of bending would reduce the need for technological innovation compared to our world. You don't need to develop elaborate stoneworking or mining tools when you have earthbenders, or invent water pumps when you have waterbenders, or the like. Also, technological innovation tends to come along in times of need and change, and yet the Avatars kept the world relatively stable and harmonious for most of its history. The change we've seen in the two shows so far seems to have been motivated by the Hundred Year War and its aftermath. The Fire Nation was motivated to develop new weapons technologies, whereas the Mechanist and his people developed flight technologies as a substitute for the airbending that effectively no longer existed. Need drives innovation. And since then, the world has continued to be in a state of change and transition, driving further innovation. But before then, with benders more abundant and the world's civilizational balance more stable, it's no surprise that its rate of technological innovation would've been slower overall than ours.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 06:16 PM   #234
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

this statement is naive. did you see a body? just because it exploded doesn't mean Amon didn't survive. I highly doubt he is dead and I know im not the only one who feels this way. I expect he will return in some fashion. and regarding your second point, the creators of the show didn't ask you what you expected.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 07:20 PM   #235
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
When he emerged from the portal, Desna (I think) asked "Were you in the Spirit World?" but he didn't answer.
That's right, thanks. I was wondering if perhaps he was in the Spirit World and was meeting with Vaatu. Even if he doesn't bond with Vaatu, I could still see him working to try to free him. It could also explain how he learned to control the spirits.
Old October 20 2013, 07:27 PM   #236
SG-17
Commodore

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post

this statement is naive. did you see a body? just because it exploded doesn't mean Amon didn't survive. I highly doubt he is dead and I know im not the only one who feels this way. I expect he will return in some fashion. and regarding your second point, the creators of the show didn't ask you what you expected.
We might see Amon in the Spirit World, but he is dead. The scene was so incredibly solemn and unexpected it would be a disservice to have him survive somehow. I doubt even Bryan and Michael would be so amateur to have him survive.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 09:31 PM   #237
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Amon's story is played out. He's dead and hopefully will remain so.

I had the same thought. Really I had expected it to have been an early iron age level of technology. However, I reason that the Lionturtles did more than just carry and protect humans, they were their teachers too. I doubt those societies would have been so developed without their guidance. Indeed, notice despite being years old, the new settlements do indeed look like basic mud huts. Presumably these aren't the same guys that go on to found the Mesoamerica inspired civilisation, unless somewhere down the line they drastically change their attitudes towards nature (and by extension, the dragons.)
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:51 PM   #238
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

When he turtles left, they took the cities and everyone's homes with them so humanity had to start all over again.
Old October 20 2013, 11:32 PM   #239
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Seeing a younger Wan made me think that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would make a good live-action version of the character.

But the voice actor Steven Yeun could also play the part.

And here's an interesting look for Korra...

Found it on another board.
Old October 20 2013, 11:40 PM   #240
Christopher
Writer

Scaredface wrote: View Post
Seeing a younger Wan made me think that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would make a good live-action version of the character.
Except that he's 32 and not really suitable to play "younger" anymore. Plus he's white.

And here's an interesting look for Korra...
GAAAHHH!! So... wrong...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote