Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 20 2013, 05:15 AM   #1
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Favorite Alternate Universe.

The one that brought you the most enjoyment, where you'd want to live, advanced Trek the most by displaying a counterpart. Or just had the hottest babes.

Mirror universe.
Abrams universe
Yesterday's Enterprise universe.
Edith Keeler lived universe.
Spock died at seven universe.
The Borg are everywhere universe.

Or another of your own preference.

For me it's the Yesterday's Enterprise universe, it's interesting to conjecture how one event generated so much change over the course of forty years. And was Picard telling the truth or lying to Garret about the Federation losing? Was the Federation actually winning, but Picard wanted to deceive Garret into volunteering to save the lives of billions of people?

I also wonder if Spock was killed at seven, and the Enterprise (and Kirk himself) still existed until the time of TAS, were all of Spock's contributions to the prime timeline completely inconsequential?

Your turn.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 06:33 AM   #2
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Favorite Alternate Universe.

I liked the universe in MyrU where Voyager stayed in the DQ.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

That's a toughie as there are loads of good ones to choose from.

For me its a toss up between Yesterday's Enterprise and Borg Are Everywhere. I like the bleak, hopeless situations both are in, both of which will test the character of even the most hardened of Starfleet officer (Riker had obviously cracked under the strain).
Old October 20 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Yesterday's Enterprise universe is my, personal favourite.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

DonIago wrote: View Post
You mean Places of Exile? It was a nice story, but I got a distinct aura of "smug" about it. Meaning, a utopian-ish "This is the way the show should have been all along" vibe. Although it's nice to see the Vostigye fleshed out a bit.

My favorite universe: Mirror. Second favorite: Abrams-MU. (yes, I know that one doesn't technically exist, but it will! )
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 04:54 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Abramsverse.
Old October 20 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
You mean Places of Exile? It was a nice story, but I got a distinct aura of "smug" about it. Meaning, a utopian-ish "This is the way the show should have been all along" vibe. Although it's nice to see the Vostigye fleshed out a bit.

My favorite universe: Mirror. Second favorite: Abrams-MU. (yes, I know that one doesn't technically exist, but it will! )
Some would argue that it -is- the way the show should have been all along.

I won't go that far myself, but I'll certainly say I feel the writing on the show could have been better, and that some of the ways in which it could have been better are displayed here.

Anyway, it's one of the few alternate timelines I'm recollecting that aren't almost by default worse than the Prime timeline in terms of how things turn out for the universe.

I wish we could have gotten more of a comparison between the two timelines we're given in "Endgame" as a means of determining which one worked out better in general.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Sran
Fleet Captain

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
I also wonder if Spock was killed at seven, and the Enterprise (and Kirk himself) still existed until the time of TAS, were all of Spock's contributions to the prime timeline completely inconsequential?
I started a thread about this a few weeks ago. There's an excellent MU story dealing with it called The Chimes at Midnight.

My favorite alternate universe hasn't been written yet (that I know of). I'd like to see what would have become of the Enterprise under Decker's command. Would she have survived the V'Ger incident? And what of Sonak and the rest of Decker's command crew? It's never been made clear who would've stayed aboard had he captained the ship as intended.

--Sran
Old October 20 2013, 06:03 PM   #9
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

"Mirror, Mirror"-verse all the way.

*badly imitates hand signal seen in the episode*
CaptainBearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 07:25 PM   #10
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
Agreed, and we can only hope!

That said, I like all 285,000 of them.

Parrallel universe stories are the best part of science fiction, Star Trek or not.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
CaptainBearclaw
Lieutenant Commander

Wait, now there's 285,001, 285,002, 285,003...

Remember, EVERY single solitary decision EVERYWHERE in the galaxy creates a parallel universe.
CaptainBearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 09:09 PM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It's getting to the point where parallel universes are almost as overused and cliche as time travel is in Trek. That said, I liked the Yesterday's Enterprise one best. It made the most sense and didn't fundamentally change who the characters were, just their experiences. They weren't evil, or self-parodies, just filled with bitter experience and pragmatism yet still the same good people at the core. I'd have liked to see more of that universe.
Old October 20 2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Nine of Four
Commander

CaptainBearclaw wrote: View Post
"Mirror, Mirror"-verse all the way.

*badly imitates hand signal seen in the episode*
*badly imitates hand signal and ends up doing a Nazi-salute in public*
Old October 20 2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
It's getting to the point where parallel universes are almost as overused and cliche as time travel is in Trek. That said, I liked the Yesterday's Enterprise one best. It made the most sense and didn't fundamentally change who the characters were, just their experiences. They weren't evil, or self-parodies, just filled with bitter experience and pragmatism yet still the same good people at the core. I'd have liked to see more of that universe.
The universe in which Worf never drank prune juice? Horrible place.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:44 PM   #15
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

Although it started as a book trilogy, my favorite Alternate Universe was created by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens in the Millenium trilogy. Its got a huge cast, all kinds of cameos, and references to old episodes but it works! The image on the cover is Weyoun wearing a Bajoran earring favored by the Kai. How could you not be intrigued!
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote