New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They'll all have clashes with Grievous every other week, too. Grievous is dead, you say? One word: Maul. That's right, Lil' Luke, Lil' Leia, and Han ( yes, Han ) will all be doing PT-Jedi acrobatics, wielding lightsabers and fighting Grievous, who as usual will be going full retard by needlessly blocking strikes with all four blades.

2. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Let's not. Leave Grievous dead. I liked him, but just....no.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

5. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

I was so mad when they brought Maul back that I almost marched into the Clone Wars studios and ripped up all their scripts.

I would be twice as mad if Grevious came back......

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair the last time we saw Maul he was still alive...in two pieces, looking very pissed off and falling into a deep pit, but still alive.

The last time we saw Grievous, Kenobi had roasted the few squishy organic parts he had left. Yeah...He dead. ;)

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Moreover when she's shot Leia's the one that remains calm, cool, and in control, while Han is the one freaking out and losing it. Leia's far more than a helpless princess throughout the trilogy.

Also, this is a show that Greg Weisman's working on - the idea his female characters are going to be weaker and only there for the men is... frankly hilarious. I'd be happy to see teenage Leia and/or young Han, though frankly I'd hope the focus is on some original characters. Mon Mothma or Bail Organa would be nice in a similar role to the Justice League on Young Justice, too.

8. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

How old is Han in ANH? I always assumed early thirties, so he would be in his early/mid 20s in Rebels, I guess...

9. cooleddie74

I read once that Han was supposed to be 29 or 30 in A New Hope, meaning if accurate that he would have been just nine, ten or eleven years old at the most when the Clone Wars ended and the Empire was born. If Rebels is set, say, halfway between Episode III and the original film then that would place Han in his late teens and roughly the age when youth sign up for the Imperial Academy to begin careers.

I'd been hearing the estimate of about 29 even before then, so I'd say the 29-30 range would probably be accurate given Harrison Ford's age at the time the original movie was filmed (34).

10. Set Harth

Wouldn't help, they're on hard drives. :techman:

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Han must be young enough to not remembering having actual Jedi around and later judging the stories about them to be greaty exagerated.

12. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

There weren't that many Jedi in the galaxy (10,000 at the time of Episode I) and the galaxy is a big ass place. It isn't that likely young Han Solo would have even had the opportunity to see a Jedi firsthand outside of Holovision News or something like that. It's more than likely that Imperial propaganda downplayed the Jedis powers or denied them altogether so that an entire generation would think the entire notion of the Force as "simple tricks and nonsense."

13. cooleddie74

And Imperial officers like Motti on the first Death Star called it a "sad and ancient religion," realizing that Darth Vader was once a Jedi himself (even if he never knew which Jedi nor the circumstances of him becoming a cybernetic enforcer for the Empire) and taunting him for it. I imagine in the wake of the Clone Wars and Palpatine proclaiming himself Emperor that a truly massive disinformation campaign was launched to discredit the Jedi Knights as both traitors and overrated.

A kid like Han Solo growing to maturity during the early years of the Empire might never have met nor even seen a real Jedi and perhaps heard little more than rumors, stories and Imperial propaganda.

14. Set Harth

What, there's no Galactic Youtube?

15. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

The Empire didn't seem big on free speech to me.

16. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

In response to Gouleddie74, the Force was originally designed by Lucas to be very spiritually-based, in essence a religion, that was practiced by so few it was believed false. The new movies really changed that. The Alliance believed in it to make "good-guys" seem "gooder". I've dismissed the "ancient religion" line to be one of those quirks that seems to be in every movie series ever.

17. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

In-universe it is ancient (some 20 odd K years?) It's possible that Jedi became a running joke even when they were around, considering they basically had nothing to do for a millennium.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  18. cooleddie74

I'm sure they probably were lampooned and ridiculed in some quarters of Coruscant and the Republic at-large due to their peculiar beliefs, habits and training, and with only 10,000 or so Jedi of all different levels and ranks existing at a given time in a Republic that might have had trillions of different sentient lifeforms under its umbrella a Jedi would have been like a combination of UN diplomat, the French Foreign Legion and an oddball religion - all in one comparatively tiny organization with a veneer of privacy and secrecy that most citizens of the Republic would never personally come into any sort of contact with.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

20. cooleddie74

Interesting.

There's also news on the SW collecting sites that at least two different action figure lines might be in the works for the new series, the standard 3.75" size and a smaller, cheaper 2" line. The Rebels news just keeps building as the London Toy Fair and other events take place.