RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 392
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 19 2013, 02:59 AM   #61
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

Re: ST VI:TUC Out of character for McCoy?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
-Spock graphically mind rapes Valaris in the middle of the bridge, and everyone just watches.
It wasn't rape it was the telepathic equivalent of a body cavity search to acquire important information. If Valaris had to be forcibly restrained and strip searched to get that information you wouldn't be calling that rape. If Spock was digging around inside her mind for his own perverse gratification like in the TNG episode "Violations" then you could be justified in calling it rape.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 11:20 AM   #62
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I understand why some would've liked the Valeris character to have actually been Saavik (I always thought this was simply because the actress wasn't available, or is that not the case?)
Kirstie Alley was asked, but declined.

Nicholas Meyer did not want to pursue Robin Curtis and her agent was never contacted.

Meyer went with his original choice for Saavik: Kim Cattrall. She didn't want to be the third actress to play that character, so they created a new one. She suggested Eris as a name and designed the hairstyle and the hairband. Meyer added the Val' prefix to the character's name. The apostrophe was gone by the final draft.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 11:38 AM   #63
grendelsbayne
Commander

^That's more or less what I thought. Thanks for the info.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 09:42 PM   #64
Chrisisall
Commodore

Fascinating! Thanks!
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 07:12 AM   #65
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
I understand why some would've liked the Valeris character to have actually been Saavik (I always thought this was simply because the actress wasn't available, or is that not the case?)
Kirstie Alley was asked, but declined.

Nicholas Meyer did not want to pursue Robin Curtis and her agent was never contacted.

Meyer went with his original choice for Saavik: Kim Cattrall. She didn't want to be the third actress to play that character, so they created a new one. She suggested Eris as a name and designed the hairstyle and the hairband. Meyer added the Val' prefix to the character's name. The apostrophe was gone by the final draft.
The thing with Alley was that she had become a star on Cheers, and with Star Trek VI already being on a ludicrously tight budget, they just couldn't afford her.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote