Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 14 2013, 01:51 AM   #16
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Random Thoughts

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
That episode just always boggled me in the mere concept that a state could be so authoritarian to regulate what you can and can't think. To me that would be the ultimate tyranny to violate the sanctum of your private thoughts as a matter of routine.
yes, but in their society when one person's thoughts can so strongly influence someone else's action there has to be a regulation.
See, I don't buy that. If there's so undisciplined that someone else's stray thought of violence makes them do it, then make your laws require mental discipline training like say Vulcan meditation. Blaming the someone for their stray thought influencing someone else's crime is like the rapist saying that woman's loose outfit provoked him. In the end, people should be accountable for their actions no matter what is "influencing" them.

Don't get me wrong, as the society is the crew screwed up like dub suggested. They should've gotten that little detail before they sent the violent Klingon down there and just let Tuvok and Vorik handle their negotiations.
So you're suggesting that before anyone beams down, Janeway would ask, "Oh, by the way, are there any of your laws we should be especially careful of?"

And the aliens, thinking over their laws, say, "No, nothing in particular."

Whereupon Janeway says, "Great, see you soon then!"

And nobody stops to consider that people who live with certain laws and social norms rarely stop to consider that everyone else may not live with those laws and norms... because it's just the normal thing to do/believe, right? It didn't occur to them to mention it, because they couldn't imagine anyone not intuitively understanding that it was the Right Way To Do Things.

Rather like that TNG episode where Wesley accidentally smashed into the flower bed and was going to be executed - a law that the aliens hadn't bothered to mention... because didn't everyone know this?

bud wrote: View Post
SignGuyHPW wrote: View Post
I think they had established that Vulcans were telepathic to a degree meaning that they held this ability.
When was this established? I either missed it or forgot about it because I was definitely scratching my head at these scenes.
In addition to feeling the deaths of the Vulcans aboard the Intrepid, Spock was able to telepathically influence the woman in The Omega Glory without being in physical contact.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 12:51 AM   #17
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I really hated Torres' forehad. I hated it so badly ... It really should've been much more natural looking, especially at this stage, after so many years of Klingon makeup. Just a hateful look on an absolutely gorgeous actress ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 12:58 AM   #18
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Spock could "sense" V'Ger entering the Galaxy.

What the Vulcans have has often been referred to as "Touch-telepathy".

Although you have to wonder if Spock had a telepathic boost to his abilities in Where no Man has Gone before without his eyes going silver and his brain going crazy, since in the beginning, the effect was tracking down persons with strong ESP ratings.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 04:04 AM   #19
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I really hated Torres' forehad. I hated it so badly ... It really should've been much more natural looking, especially at this stage, after so many years of Klingon makeup. Just a hateful look on an absolutely gorgeous actress ...
This is true. I wasn't an enormous Voyager fan, but I must admit the actress who played her daughter in the final episode was an absolutely fabulous bit o' casting!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 07:51 AM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Sure, she's pretty, but I thought that casting the same actress that played Tom and Kes' daughter Liynnis from Before and After would have been in hilariously good taste.

Old October 20 2013, 09:11 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It kind of looks like an abacus.. or a horseshoe crab underbase.

And I bet she was born with a mouthful of horrible twisted Klingon teeth but got them humanized as soon as she was a teenager. She doesn't have them when see her as a child but that's because she has blanked this horror out and remembers herself with her current teeth.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 09:18 AM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I thought it was the other way around?

Klingons get files and sharpen their teeth for early on.

Old October 20 2013, 09:20 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

Yeah but B'Elanna grew up on earth being teased for her Klingon teeth. She had NO Klingon pride. No way she wouldn't get some cosmetic dentistry going, considering she even thought about changing her unborn baby's head.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2013, 10:44 AM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

(Young) Alexander had human teeth, which is what I was going by. (Did he?)

Besides, are we going to retroactively remember that human augment DNA was humanizing their features despite generations of forced breeding plans to redominate the Klingonese traits of the species?

Old October 20 2013, 11:04 AM   #25
teacake
Admiral

But that was the old days. They have bred that out. I bet there was a couple generations where anyone too human looking could not get a mate.

I can't remember Alexander's teeth.

Someone. Research it for me.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 3 2013, 07:52 PM   #26
2takesfrakes
Commodore

teacock wrote: View Post
It kind of looks like an abacus.. or a horseshoe crab underbase.

And I bet she was born with a mouthful of horrible twisted Klingon teeth but got them humanized as soon as she was a teenager. She doesn't have them when see her as a child but that's because she has blanked this horror out and remembers herself with her current teeth.
... HA!!! Aww ... that poor girl. I really loved Roxanne Dawson and by extension - I suppose - Torres, too. But that forehead had to go. What's more - and forgive me, Jesus, for saying this, but - I thought Tom Paris belonged more with Rain Robinson, of FUTURE'S END. What do you think? Their was some really good acting going on there, where I would have no trouble believing they were in love. I even heard the only reason Sarah Silverman wasn't in the cast after was because a deal fell through. But Paris and Torres always seemed kind of forced to me. I just didn't buy it ... maybe my hate for her rediculous headpeice is what threw me, I don't know ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 10:37 PM   #27
Lord Manitou
Commander

Tom was the only individual who would develop enough patience to have an affair with B'Ellana. Any level headed disc jockey would consider her more work than worth and it soon would have dissolved. The only thing they had it common is they both wanted sex and she sacrificed a portion of her work duties to satiate him.
Janeway #1: Think, people we need options.
Janeway #2: I agree captain.

http://voyagr-ep-memorys.com/
Lord Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 10:42 PM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Much as I enjoyed Silverman it would have made it a very different show if you had a permanent fish out of water character on Voyager. It would have been some amusing scenes for sure, but if they had done it well it would have taken over a bit. And they probably would not have done it well, there would have been a couple of dedicated episodes to her fitting in and then it would barely ever come up again.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 3 2013, 10:48 PM   #29
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Neelix and Kes were already the fish out of water characters, and to some degree, the EMH as well. Another character like that would have gotten in the way of story telling due to the need to give her something quirky to do in every episode.
Old November 3 2013, 10:58 PM   #30
teacake
Admiral

I dread the thought of Voyager filled with 20th century references.. it could have been really weird. It's not the fish out of water so much as that part, the jokes made that only we the audience would get etc..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne