Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 11 2013, 04:46 AM   #31
SignGuyHPW
Lieutenant

Re: What was Data doing before the D?

I've always wondered about that since the start of TNG. Perhaps he held posts on ships that were low in class and the crews did not interact much with him. Time served got him promoted high enough and his service record intrigued Picard just enough that he wanted to try him on the Enterprise. He held a high enough posistion there that the crew would be more inclined to interact with him since he was on the senior staff and a bridge officer.
SignGuyHPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 07:04 AM   #32
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

Well, Data technically had more experience than Harry Kim when TNG started. With women within 3 episodes.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 10:39 PM   #33
Pavonis
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
... L.Q. "Sonny" Clemonds points at Data and asks Riker, "What is that?" Then Data turns around to see what he's pointing at.
Data must look particularly artificial in person, more so than on the TV screen. There must be something about him that screams "artificial" to an individual from a more technologically advanced society. When he was stuck in the 19th century, no one seemed to think Data was not a human, just that he was particularly pale. Clemonds, though, immediately picks up on Data being something other than human. I wonder if 24th century individuals would initially have an even stronger reaction to Data than Clemonds did.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 10:51 PM   #34
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
... L.Q. "Sonny" Clemonds points at Data and asks Riker, "What is that?" Then Data turns around to see what he's pointing at.
Data must look particularly artificial in person, more so than on the TV screen. There must be something about him that screams "artificial" to an individual from a more technologically advanced society. When he was stuck in the 19th century, no one seemed to think Data was not a human, just that he was particularly pale. Clemonds, though, immediately picks up on Data being something other than human. I wonder if 24th century individuals would initially have an even stronger reaction to Data than Clemonds did.
I think the world was considered a bigger place in the 19th-Century and that many thought that it was still full of mysterious things and people they had yet to encounter. As the term "android" (and even "extraterrestrial") was still unknown to many, the only thing Data could be taken for by most was some kind of strange foreigner, IMO.

By the 24th-Century, androids were fairly well-known (with many more human-like in appearance than Data), but all were regarded as merely machines not people. Data was an extreme rarity.
Old October 19 2013, 10:56 PM   #35
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Okay, I've been resisting this answer ever since first seeing the title two weeks ago, and I'll use it now since no one else has.

Question: What was Data doing before the D?

Answer: The backstroke, sir.
Old October 21 2013, 10:34 PM   #36
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Green Monster wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Didn't Data chronicle the course of his previous Starfleet career in Deja Q?
No. He was talking about how long it takes a starfleet officer to retain certain ranks. Absolutely nothing about his experiences before the D
I could have sworn in that episode he mentioned how many years he spent as an ensign, how many years he spent as a lieutenant, etc.

Come to think of it it might have been better if they had started out his career as an ensign. Because as Lt Cmd, you'd think that all the machine sentience issues would come up the first time he comes up for promotion, the first time he's given a leadership role, etc. There'd be debate about whether he should have been admitted to Starfleet, etc. By the time he's reached Lt Commander it's assumed he's already been accepted as sentient and trusted with leadership roles.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 03:33 PM   #37
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The Green Monster wrote: View Post
Didn't Data chronicle the course of his previous Starfleet career in Deja Q?
No. He was talking about how long it takes a starfleet officer to retain certain ranks. Absolutely nothing about his experiences before the D
I could have sworn in that episode he mentioned how many years he spent as an ensign, how many years he spent as a lieutenant, etc.

Come to think of it it might have been better if they had started out his career as an ensign.
They did.

The actual line was in "Datalore" (not "Deja Q") when Data answered Lore's question on how to get a Starfleet uniform like his:

"If you get one the way I did, Lore, it will mean four years at the Academy, another three as ensign, ten or twelve on varied space duty in the lieutenant grades."

Because as Lt Cmd, you'd think that all the machine sentience issues would come up the first time he comes up for promotion, the first time he's given a leadership role, etc. There'd be debate about whether he should have been admitted to Starfleet, etc. By the time he's reached Lt Commander it's assumed he's already been accepted as sentient and trusted with leadership roles.
I think it was a case that there were those that challenged Starfleet's acceptance of Data as being sentient, even after more than a decade of service in Starfleet.
Old October 23 2013, 06:37 AM   #38
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Weren't Holodecks relatively new by the time the E-D was launched. If that's so then previous crews he worked with may not have had the experience in interacting with artificial people much less such a real honest to goodness android. That could have kept him isolated, physically and emotionally. His commanding officers may have had him, like Guinan said later in season two, "doing the dirty work." Once holodecks became commonplace, it might have become easier for people to interact with him.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 11:52 AM   #39
jibrilmudo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Data is probably the one character they could have built another show around, either a prequel or sequel.

For a mundane answer, I would suggest Star Fleet simply loaded him up with work, 24/7 with not even lodgings of his own, and he had no "off time" analogous to human sleep to process non- work related matters, stunting his growth as a person.

Afterall, timewise, he's someone that can put in the hours of 4-5 people, and is at least 4x as efficient as each person. So we're talking about someone who can do the work of 20 people, and that would be hard to not take advantage of. And it might have started innocently enough, with Data subbing for a crewmember on leave on top of normal duties. The promotions may not even been for his benefit and merely give him appropriate access for his tasks, and until his trial, Pocard could have chosen to ignore his rank or summarily lowered it without cause if he wished.

So the previous crews just had less time away from a professional capacity to interact with him and he had less to personal stuff to process. This would make sense with his early appearances as he was quite comfortable with professional conduct but a child once it came to other things.

i would suggest in the academy he was more of an outcast than later on, because teens and young adults can be most like that, especially after the novelty factor wore off and Data coming across as he does.
jibrilmudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 03:53 PM   #40
Freman
Fleet Captain

Before he gave Tasha the D? Watch the episode to find out.
Old November 10 2013, 07:00 AM   #41
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

My first thought on seeing the thread title (and not understanding it referred to the ship) was: Ata.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 10:09 AM   #42
WarpCore
Lieutenant

In a cavern a mile under San Francisco.

You could speculate that he had real role models for the first time after joining the Ent-D. The ship was supposed to be the best of the best, and that situation would be a life altering time for anyone (even in our universe).

Or there is the time Q gave him emotion which surely Data saved and eventually built algorithms upon later, or the time Lore transmitted him emotion sub-routines as well. Or when Bashir or LaForge hooked up any of many random unknown devices to Data's positronic net? And we'll just overlook the emotion chip Soong eventually introduced him to, right?

Then again, Data was pretty human during the very first episode. I mean, he lied to Riker immediately.

RIKER: Then your rank of Lieutenant Commander is honorary?
DATA: No, sir. Starfleet class of '78; honours in probability mechanics and exobiology.

In 2364.

Perhaps it was simply Admiral McCoy implying androids are bad, Vulcans are worse, therefore Data should be more human. What we see could just be Data attempting to follow an implicit order from a superior officer, for 7+ years. The whistling scene I quoted from is the next time we see Data after he and McCoy spend several minutes alone in a shuttle. Who knows how much Bones could have corrupted him in that short time.
WarpCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:03 PM   #43
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I would assume that Data has a disconcerting air about him. He probably lacks a natural scent or body language, which could be a bit off putting.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote