RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 588
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 18 2013, 07:00 PM   #46
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: Survivor 27: Blood vs Water

I'm happy Candace is gone. Her being the victim because people voted for her was wearing thin. I'm pretty sure she voted for someone too.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 01:19 AM   #47
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

I could have done without all the information about their insect bites, etc.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 04:23 AM   #48
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

This is why I don't like Redemption Island, it takes up such a huge chunk of the episode that could be spent on showing us more about who these people are. The 'loved ones', at least the ones who are still out there, seem more interesting than the returning players, but we just know so little about them because 3/4 of the runtime is Redemption Island, immunity and tribal.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 04:38 AM   #49
Timewalker

It's been years since they showed us much of anything at camp besides the strategy stuff. There's hardly any of the normal interactions and "getting to know you" stuff. I remember the ukulele-playing and Greg talking on his "coconut phone" from the first season and dammit, that was FUN! They also made much of the fact that people were only allowed a single "luxury" item, and the producers were quite restrictive as to what those could be. You never hear about this anymore.

Old October 19 2013, 06:42 PM   #50
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

I wish they'd go back to showing more of camp life (outside of strategizing), but since now most players start strategizing on day one, I can see why the emphasis has switched towards that.

I liked how Brad was so shocked when Laura M. came to Redemption Island at the end of the episode. Must have been a bit of a blow to his ego seeing his old tribe win a challenge without him.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 10:14 PM   #51
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I don't mind having the emphasis be on strategizing, but it's stupid that they're spending 15 minutes an episode on duels when only one of these people will get to come back in the game anyway.

It's kind of like how, in the first season of Apprentice they spent the majority of the show on the business strategy in the challenges. Then as they show went on, they spent less and less time on the business strategy, more and more time in the board room, and Trump seemed less and less concerned with actually coming away with the most qualified candidate (Until they said screw it and staffed the show with D list celebrities known for being crazy, long after the show became unwatchable for anyone who doesn't like that).

Social game shows should spend the majority of their time on the players interacting with each other, and a very small amount on the parts strictly about the game mechanics.
Old October 31 2013, 05:28 AM   #52
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Wow, I'm watching the episode on the CBS website now and I just got through the Redemption Island segment. The subtext of that interchange between Kat and Hayden was furious.

That moment where Kat was saying "Switch with me!" and Hayden said "Kat, which one of you do you think has a better chance to win?" What Hayden was really saying there was "Are you fucking kidding me?! Imma give you a chance to backpedal here."

And of course every time somebody asks their loved one if they want them to switch they're really saying "I don't wanna switch but I'm gonna put it on you."
Old October 31 2013, 05:59 AM   #53
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I'd be pretty insulted if my girlfriend thought I was so shallow that I would break up with her over her performance on a reality show, and kept repeating it over and over.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 06:00 AM   #54
Timewalker

Well, Laura really opened her big mouth and stuck her whole self in... I guess the previous vote taught her nothing about staying quiet about strategy once something's been decided. It can get un-decided in a hell of a hurry.

Old October 31 2013, 04:11 PM   #55
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

This season has gotten better since the switch. It helped that the really irritating people (Brad & Colton) left early. But, Vytas, Hayden and Caleb are killing it strategically, Tyson has pulled off the 'Likable villain' role, Tina and Monica are dominating the social game. It's got me really interested to see how it all turns out. It'll also be interesting how Jon fits in if he comes back from Redemption.

Also, could the hidden idol not even come into play this season?
Old October 31 2013, 04:23 PM   #56
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Wow, I'm watching the episode on the CBS website now and I just got through the Redemption Island segment. The subtext of that interchange between Kat and Hayden was furious.

That moment where Kat was saying "Switch with me!" and Hayden said "Kat, which one of you do you think has a better chance to win?" What Hayden was really saying there was "Are you fucking kidding me?! Imma give you a chance to backpedal here."

And of course every time somebody asks their loved one if they want them to switch they're really saying "I don't wanna switch but I'm gonna put it on you."
I thought the whole thing was pretty masterful of Hayden. He somehow is able to convince people to do what he wants, while convincing them that it's their idea and remaining the nice guy. He did it well on Big Brother, and he's doing it here now as well.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 06:35 AM   #57
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I don't know, it seemed really transparent. Granted I haven't seen him in Big Brother, but based on Kat I would attribute his success more to her manipulability than his mastery of manipulation (say that fast three times).
Old November 1 2013, 02:48 PM   #58
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Kat has some pretty serious self esteem issues. And it seems a lot like that's what their relationship is based on: She doesn't think she can do anything so Hayden does it for her.
Old November 1 2013, 10:43 PM   #59
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post

I thought the whole thing was pretty masterful of Hayden. He somehow is able to convince people to do what he wants, while convincing them that it's their idea and remaining the nice guy. He did it well on Big Brother, and he's doing it here now as well.
Even though I'm not saying he couldn't win on his own, Hayden was in the season where it took them until Final 5 to even think he was a threat. They were too concerned with getting rid of Rachel and Brendon. He also had an alliance around him that did and said stupider things than him, making him the obvious choice at the end.
Old November 2 2013, 03:43 AM   #60
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post

Even though I'm not saying he couldn't win on his own, Hayden was in the season where it took them until Final 5 to even think he was a threat. They were too concerned with getting rid of Rachel and Brendon. He also had an alliance around him that did and said stupider things than him, making him the obvious choice at the end.
Yes, I agree. Compared to other winners, I don't think Hayden is all that great and probably wouldn't have made it to the final 5 without that alliance. However, he does pull off the "nice guy" thing really well, and he is careful with his words.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote