Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 17 2013, 08:39 AM   #226
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: Fact-Checking Inside Star Trek: The Real Story

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'm probably on record around here at least a dozen times defending Herb Solow and Bob Justman's making-of book, Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, as the best book about the production of the original series currently out there. Having said that, the book is far from infallible. I thought it might be interesting to use the knowledge base of the posters here to ferret out all the mistakes
I don't know if one can rightfully claim these are "mistakes" per se as if there is one ultimate, absolute, almighty truth. People have different perspectives and recollections. For example, Sandy Courage's more recent recollection could have low key and matter-of-fact, but that does not rule out that at some point prior he may have expressed some degree of ire regarding Roddenberry's handling of the theme and those awful lyrics.

Remember, the book mentions Roddenberry did also try to squeeze money from Nimoy's recording career during the Trek years (as confirmed by Nimoy) yet made no such demand from Nichelle Nichols (as confirmed by her).

It is sort of like taking the book to task for its sarcastic statement of how Shatner hadn't won an Emmy for his acting yet a few years after publication he did (twice).
Old October 17 2013, 08:44 AM   #227
Harvey
Admiral

Courage downplaying the rift due to the passage of time is certainly a valid interpretation of his remarks from 2000.

The more important point, I think, is that the book claims Courage didn't come back to the series after the first season because he was angered by the royalty issue. Whatever his feelings about losing out on half the royalties -- negative, even in Courage's most tempered version -- that's false. He recorded library music for the second season and scored two third season episodes.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:48 PM   #228
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Remember, the book mentions Roddenberry did also try to squeeze money from Nimoy's recording career during the Trek years (as confirmed by Nimoy) yet made no such demand from Nichelle Nichols (as confirmed by her).
He probably negotiated an "under the table" deal with Nichelle.
Old October 18 2013, 05:05 AM   #229
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
I don't know if one can rightfully claim these are "mistakes" per se as if there is one ultimate, absolute, almighty truth. People have different perspectives and recollections.
When the books contradict primary sources, that's a "mistake" all right.

As to Nimoy's record, wasn't his record "Leonard Nimoy Presents Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space" trading on the Spock character? That's different from Nichols, whose 1967 album and 1968 promo don't appear to have featured Uhura or referenced Star Trek.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 05:26 AM   #230
Christopher
Writer

Maurice wrote: View Post
That's different from Nichols, whose 1967 album and 1968 promo don't appear to have featured Uhura or referenced Star Trek.
Well, not directly. Her '67 album was called Down to Earth, which is pretty clearly a nod to (or distancing from) her Trek role.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 06:08 PM   #231
Harvey
Admiral

Part three of my Private Little War series is up this morning.

Old October 19 2013, 06:17 PM   #232
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Excellent research and commentary, Harvey.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 06:26 PM   #233
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Good work Harvey, but I think there is a typo where "space" is spelled as "peace". (In the part covering Roddenberry's memo) Also, I thought "Viet Nam" was an acceptable alternate spelling for Vietnam.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #234
Warped9
Admiral

Good stuff, Harvey. I do find myself agreeing with GR's and DC Fontana's observations.
Old October 19 2013, 06:31 PM   #235
Christopher
Writer

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Also, I thought "Viet Nam" was an acceptable alternate spelling for Vietnam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Vietnam
The name Việt Nam is a variation of Nam Việt (Southern Việt), a name that can be traced back to the Trieu dynasty (2nd century BC). The word "Việt" originated as a shortened form of Bách Việt, a word used to refer to various peoples who lived in what is now southern China in ancient times. The word "Việt Nam", with the syllables in the modern order, first appears in the 16th century in a poem by Nguyen Binh Khiem. "Annam", which originated as a Chinese name in the seventh century, was the common name of the country during the colonial period. Nationalist writer Phan Boi Chau revived the name "Vietnam" in the early 20th century. When rival communist and anti-communist governments were set up in 1945, both immediately adopted this as the country's official name. In English, the two syllables are usually combined into one word, "Vietnam." However, "Viet Nam" was once common usage and is still used by the United Nations and by the Vietnamese government.
Still, it's nonstandard in modern English usage, so I can understand the reasons for adding "[sic]" to the transcript. Although I'm not sure it's really needed every single time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 06:33 PM   #236
Harvey
Admiral

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Good work Harvey, but I think there is a typo where "space" is spelled as "peace". (In the part covering Roddenberry's memo) Also, I thought "Viet Nam" was an acceptable alternate spelling for Vietnam.
Fixed the typo.

On the subject of Vietnam versus Viet Nam, it appears there is some debate over that in academic circles, but that's certainly outside my field of study. I'll just leave [sic] there to indicate that was Roddenberry's original spelling and not my typo. (Or, you know, what Christopher said).

Old October 19 2013, 06:34 PM   #237
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Harvey,

Although I don't know the state of his health, Don Ingalls, aged 95, is still alive, and, I believe, lives in Washington (state). Any chance you might scour the internet to see if he could be reached to respond/clarify/comment on your articles?

Sir Rhosis

Old October 19 2013, 06:45 PM   #238
Harvey
Admiral

He does have a presence on Facebook, although it looks like he hasn't posted there in a while. Coincidentally enough, he lives just a few miles away from where I went to high school. I'll give it a shot (although, if I don't hear from him, he did give an interview to Starlog in '91 that I'll be using in part five, since it fills in a few blanks).

Old October 19 2013, 06:59 PM   #239
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^FWIW, I sent him a friend request, though, as you say, he has not posted there since 2011. For those who might like to do the same, if you type in "Don Ingalls," his profile is on the second page of people with that name, his profile pic shows him in a maroon shirt (or vest, can't remember), he has a full head of thick gray hair.

Sir Rhosis

Old November 9 2013, 09:36 PM   #240
Harvey
Admiral

The saga of 'A Private Little War' continues.

As always, corrections are welcome.

I've spent the past month temping, which is providing a little income, but I'm still hunting for (more permanent) jobs and applying to PhD programs. As a result, expect new content to continue at a trickle for the next few months.