Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 18 2013, 05:16 AM   #76
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Was the Star Trek 4 Ent-A bridge a redress of the Excelsior bridge

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
In recent years, there has been a lot of retcon / print the legend revisionism about this (I think Meyer is guilty of it too), but the pink blood to avoid R rating biz is just horseshit, plain and simple.
Maybe... but I remember reading about it way back in '91 even before the movie came out. Correct or incorrect, it's not revisionism -- it goes all the way back to the beginning -- and I don't think it had anything to do with Rick Berman.
From Meyer's memoir, years after the fact.
"There was a debate over the color of blood, which I wanted to be different than human blood. I wound up choosing a pink shade that seemed suitably weird, only to regret my choice down the road when I realized it reminded me of Pepto Bismol."

--Nicholas Meyer, The View From the Bridge, p.217
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 05:51 AM   #77
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
In recent years, there has been a lot of retcon / print the legend revisionism about this (I think Meyer is guilty of it too), but the pink blood to avoid R rating biz is just horseshit, plain and simple.
Maybe... but I remember reading about it way back in '91 even before the movie came out. Correct or incorrect, it's not revisionism -- it goes all the way back to the beginning -- and I don't think it had anything to do with Rick Berman.
I'd be interested in seeing where you saw it back then. It wasn't in my CINEFEX piece or the CINEFANTASTIQUE coverage. Then again, those appeared after the film came out, and I'd imagine anything floating around about klingon blood color that appeared in print BEFORE the film's release would have been sheer speculation, not weighed down by facts or gravity boots.

(an example of the latter was when someone I worked with at a software production facility in Fremont insisted that the Klingons getting killed on Praxis were the result of a reshoot in the south Bay Area, between San Jose and Santa Cruz, a story I heard well before thanksgiving. As far as I know that was always BS, but there were a few folks shot on a big sheet of white material on a beach in Frisco for the establishing shot on the klingon prison planet.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 06:01 AM   #78
Maurice
Vice Admiral

You mean this shot?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 10:59 AM   #79
starburst
Fleet Captain

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I prefer the TUC of all the bridges in every Trek. The only thing I don't like though is the reverting back to switches and dials after TFF introduced Okudagrams of the 23rd century. Meyer should have just sucked his gut in and not indulge too much on putting 20th century touches.
So would that make the E-B your ideal bridge?
The Excelsior in TUC also had an LCARS-only bridge. I think the distinction is that a) Meyer likes physical switches, and b) the Excelsior was more advanced. Doesn't really explain why they regressed between V and VI, though... The E-A was suffering multiple computer systems failures, so Scotty swapped some of the systems to older versions to take the load off the ol' M-4 computer. Yeah, that's it.

Mark
I may be wrong but I am sure some of the Excelsior consoles also had switches, its been a while since I last saw the film but I think you see the Helm station has buttons etc when they are riding out the shockwave.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 03:50 PM   #80
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

starburst wrote: View Post

I may be wrong but I am sure some of the Excelsior consoles also had switches, its been a while since I last saw the film but I think you see the Helm station has buttons etc when they are riding out the shockwave.
Yeah. I'm thinking you're right.
Old October 18 2013, 07:48 PM   #81
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah You're right, I just checked.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/t...bum=496&page=4

Click on the image of the guy pressing the buttons on the console
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 10:54 PM   #82
Workbee
Commander

Looking at the picture and I can't quite tell. It looks like the "buttons" might just be drawn on the plexiglass. Then again, they might be real.

Going OT, or maybe back On Topic, if the TVH set survived and was able to be reused for TFF, do you think it would have been retrofitted back with standard CRTs? It does seem like all the CRTs were removed and replaced with plexiglass sheets. Which works fine for a (nearly) static shot or two, but were this to be used for an entire feature, the lack of movement on the displays would quickly become apparent.
Old October 19 2013, 12:06 AM   #83
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ I'd like to think so.

I mean, even the Ent-D bridge workstations were all fitted with CRTs for Generations, because they realised how static the originals would look on a movie screen if there wasn't moving graphics going across them in the background.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 05:29 AM   #84
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Workbee wrote: View Post
Looking at the picture and I can't quite tell. It looks like the "buttons" might just be drawn on the plexiglass. Then again, they might be real.

Going OT, or maybe back On Topic, if the TVH set survived and was able to be reused for TFF, do you think it would have been retrofitted back with standard CRTs? .
Yeah, in fact I think it was budgeted that way all along. They bought x-number of Proton monitors for TFF, and it wasn't anywhere near enough to fill all the screens for the new bridge they wound up building, hence all the polarmotion gags and the okudagrams to fill out the non-monitors screens. Though why the monitors used from TWOK onward were gone, or where they went, who knows? They didn't wind up on TV trek productions, because CRTs didn't show up in ModernTrek till DS9.

The Burbank Studios 24 frame video interlock that was pricey and used on TWOK and SFS was presumably kept for use on TFF, and it may have been for TUC also. Associate Producer Brooke Breton oversaw the playback on TUC (and various post vfx for first season TNG) and there was definitely 24 frame playback, which they somehow synchronized with the 35mm main viewscreen RP.
Old October 20 2013, 03:49 PM   #85
ATimson
Rear Admiral

They bought x-number of Proton monitors for TFF, and it wasn't anywhere near enough to fill all the screens for the new bridge they wound up building, hence all the polarmotion gags and the okudagrams to fill out the non-monitors screens. Though why the monitors used from TWOK onward were gone, or where they went, who knows?
Were the TWOK screens actually full color? I recall the displays being monochrome-only in TWOK/TSFS, but I don't know if that's because of the animation used to drive them or if that was all the monitors could do.

Anyways, seeing as how the TFF displays were full-color, they probably wouldn't have wanted to mix-and-match. Assuming, of course, that any of the TWOK displays survived both the bridge damage in TSFS and the years in storage.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:33 AM   #86
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Pretty sure all the monitors were always color. They were playing back the red alert signs from TMP, weren't they? And all of those painfully low rez graphics in SFS were color, like the ones showing a life form down on Genesis. In fact, the Genesis graphic on Spock's monitor was the same as the graphic seen RP'd in sickbay on TMP, and that's not got much color (blue and white) but it ain't black&white.

I think there's less color in most of the TFF ones, or at least a more muted range, which would be in keeping with the color scheme. I always like that the TFF bridge is one that conforms to Joe Jennings' dictum about having someplace different to go visually when the alert starts or the meteor is coming, because when the TFF bridge goes on red alert, it practically becomes a whole different environment, whereas TUC's bridge looks pretty much the same, just with a red tinge.
Old October 21 2013, 07:26 PM   #87
Workbee
Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
^ I'd like to think so.

I mean, even the Ent-D bridge workstations were all fitted with CRTs for Generations, because they realised how static the originals would look on a movie screen if there wasn't moving graphics going across them in the background.

I preferred the approach the TNG series took in later seasons: adding dynamic content in post production. This kept the smooth black finish. When LCDs were added, you could clearly see it was an LCD, and the backlit blacks didn't match the deep black of the rest of the console. Unfortunately, the use of LCDs seem to persist even in STID, though disguised behind lens flares.