RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 802
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 16 2013, 03:12 AM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: Was the Star Trek 4 Ent-A bridge a redress of the Excelsior bridge

xvicente wrote: View Post
Maybe they meant "A motion picture", not "THE motion picture". ST1 has an unfortunate title.
Well, at the time, it was the only one, so the definite article made sense. Remember, this was just a year after the release of Superman: The Movie. These days it's known mainly as just Superman, so people forget that was its full title.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:34 AM   #62
Lance
Fleet Captain

Chalk me up as another one who quite likes the clean look of the Ent-A bridge as seen at the end of TVH. Only a shame we didn't get to see more of it.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 07:05 AM   #63
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

But didn't the movie guys eventually ruin TNG's observation lounge wall? So they're even.
Thats a pretty good point. XD
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 11:01 AM   #64
starburst
Fleet Captain

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
I did forget one thing though. The Helm and NAV console was reused for certain for TFF and TUC. Both Herman Zimmerman and Mike Okuda stated that. The Turbolift alcoves and Helm/nav station were reused from the refit set (the only salvagable parts). They Modified the NAv/Helm console with a light in the center support. Also the TNG production crew are to blame for the ruined TMP set. Which I am thankful for, because I like both the TFF and TUC setups better than the TMP,TWOK,TSFS, TVH bridge.
I prefered the TMP bridge over the others. The TFF bridge was so plain and bleah. TUC improved it a bit.
Between TMP and WOK bridges I prefer TMP mainly because of the chairs before the WOK covers (which were used on the Reliant, Ent-A as well as the Stargazer).

The layout and design from TFF is my favourite, but if I could I would tweak it with the details from TUC just keeping the layout.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:01 PM   #65
MakeshiftPython
Commander

I prefer the TUC of all the bridges in every Trek. The only thing I don't like though is the reverting back to switches and dials after TFF introduced Okudagrams of the 23rd century. Meyer should have just sucked his gut in and not indulge too much on putting 20th century touches.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:12 AM   #66
trevanian
Rear Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I prefer the TUC of all the bridges in every Trek. The only thing I don't like though is the reverting back to switches and dials after TFF introduced Okudagrams of the 23rd century. Meyer should have just sucked his gut in and not indulge too much on putting 20th century touches.
So would that make the E-B your ideal bridge?

BTW, your username is very familiar ... python - makeshift python.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 03:12 AM   #67
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I see Nick Meyer's Trek as something separate from every other vision of Trek. Did pink Klingon blood bother you?
Old October 17 2013, 03:22 AM   #68
Christopher
Writer

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I see Nick Meyer's Trek as something separate from every other vision of Trek. Did pink Klingon blood bother you?
The pink blood wasn't Meyer's vision; it was a compromise he had to make to avoid an R rating. Given how gore-soaked TWOK was, he clearly didn't have a problem with red blood. But the microgravity blood drops floating around in TUC were too shocking for the MPAA, so the only way they'd give it a PG rating was if he changed it to a less bloodlike color.

Old October 17 2013, 05:37 PM   #69
trevanian
Rear Admiral

^I don't know why you'd be choosing to perpetuate that myth about the ratings, when it has been talked to death so many times here it isn't remotely funny.

The blood color was always a plot point (excised in the theatrical release), pointing up the Khitomer would-be assassin's true nature.

It was never about ratings. The ILM guys even said as much, that they'd have needed Peckinpah-volume gore to get an R-rating, regardless of color.

This rating thing seems to always go back to a Rick Berman COMMUNICATOR quote, and he is hardly the source of authenticity for a film he was only peripherally involved with.

In recent years, there has been a lot of retcon / print the legend revisionism about this (I think Meyer is guilty of it too), but the pink blood to avoid R rating biz is just horseshit, plain and simple.

Why anybody thinks the MPAA would rate something a certain way BASED ON A SHOT DESCRIPTION IN A SCRIPT -- when they rate movies, not screenplays -- also begs explanation.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:44 PM   #70
Christopher
Writer

^Oh, sorry, I didn't know that.

Old October 17 2013, 06:06 PM   #71
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
The Excelsior in TUC also had an LCARS-only bridge. I think the distinction is that a) Meyer likes physical switches, and b) the Excelsior was more advanced. Doesn't really explain why they regressed between V and VI, though... The E-A was suffering multiple computer systems failures, so Scotty swapped some of the systems to older versions to take the load off the ol' M-4 computer. Yeah, that's it.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 06:44 PM   #72
MakeshiftPython
Commander

The E-B looks more like the Excelsior in TUC, with the master display system in the back and such. I very much prefer the layout of the E-A.

BTW, your username is very familiar ... python - makeshift python.
Correct.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:02 AM   #73
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

In recent years, there has been a lot of retcon / print the legend revisionism about this (I think Meyer is guilty of it too), but the pink blood to avoid R rating biz is just horseshit, plain and simple.
Maybe... but I remember reading about it way back in '91 even before the movie came out. Correct or incorrect, it's not revisionism -- it goes all the way back to the beginning -- and I don't think it had anything to do with Rick Berman.
Old October 18 2013, 04:28 AM   #74
Workbee
Commander

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
The Excelsior in TUC also had an LCARS-only bridge. I think the distinction is that a) Meyer likes physical switches, and b) the Excelsior was more advanced. Doesn't really explain why they regressed between V and VI, though... The E-A was suffering multiple computer systems failures, so Scotty swapped some of the systems to older versions to take the load off the ol' M-4 computer. Yeah, that's it.

Mark
One problem is that they had to set up a contrast with the "more futuristic TNG". Yes, looking at the movies on their own, it doesn't make much sense for the Helm to regress back to buttons and switches after touchpads. But by then the touchpad LCARS had become sort of a signature element of the 24th century tech, that I understand a desire to differentiate the 23rd century tech from it. If anything, I wish that they had switches all the way though. However it must be noted that the touchpads were first introduced in TVH (except for certain limited applications in prior films).

If anything, the TFF was a misstep forward, taking the aesthetic too close to TNG when we saw various ships from intermediary periods bore no resemblance to either the TFF or TNG interiors.
Old October 18 2013, 05:02 AM   #75
Christopher
Writer

^It's worth remembering that, as sleek and futuristic as the Okudagram control surfaces look, their main virtue was that they were really, really easy and inexpensive to make -- you just print up some transparencies and backlight them. So maybe it was a budgetary decision to use them in TFF rather than a purely aesthetic one.