Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 16 2013, 06:20 PM   #151
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Uh-huh. Dismissing the "small segment" of fans who have supported this show for decades is a lovely slap in the face.
I'm one of them, and I still don't think that catering to the whimsical tastes of fandom is the best way to tell an entertaining story.
This.

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post

Got no problem with this story any other time. By 50 years is a time for nostalgia and it's the one time when, frankly, the mainstream audience should take a backseat and give over to the fans who kept the show alive for half a century. If they means wallowing in nostalgia then good. Unlike you I am particularly whimsical over these sorts of event paying tribute to days gone by.
Those fans may have kept the show alive in their hearts, and opened the possibility to a revival, but it's the shows massive success with the mainstream audience that it a successful revival. If it was only the "fans who kept it alive" who were watching, there wouldn't be enough to keep it going. So, it SHOULD be a big thank you to the mainstream audience who have discovered it and actually keep it on the air.

It's not fair, I know, but that's the reality. The show isn't made for those who are buying the comics, buying all of the figures, making their own costumes--yes, they might be the soul of the audience, but, without the rest, there would be no show. The show is made for a big broad family audience.
Old October 17 2013, 08:59 AM   #152
Starkers
Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
I have two words for Stephen Moffat. I hope he takes them with the intent of where they come from. They are: Rick Berman.

You all saw how we thanked him for his "valentine gift to the fans".
I'm not sure how to take your intent myself so unsure if Moffat would either, because Berman and 'these are the voyages' could probably be taken two ways in the context of the 50th. either it was too much fan service at the expense of the current show, or not enough thought given to the fans?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:29 PM   #153
Noddy
Captain

I liked the idea of Riker and Troi interacting with the NX-01 crew via the holodeck; I just wish they'd had a better reason in-story to do so.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 01:35 PM   #154
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

TATV certainly showed that bringing back former actors doesn't necessarily make for a good or well-received episode. Not an exact analogy to what we're discussing, I know, but like anything else, it shows that execution is key in how you celebrate a show or franchise's past.
Old October 17 2013, 05:49 PM   #155
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

From comments Moffat is making, it really looks like he's planning on looking forward to another 50 years as opposed to the past. I think that's a very legitimate approach.
Old October 17 2013, 07:58 PM   #156
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Judge Death wrote: View Post
I have two words for Stephen Moffat. I hope he takes them with the intent of where they come from. They are: Rick Berman.

You all saw how we thanked him for his "valentine gift to the fans".
I'm not sure how to take your intent myself so unsure if Moffat would either, because Berman and 'these are the voyages' could probably be taken two ways in the context of the 50th. either it was too much fan service at the expense of the current show, or not enough thought given to the fans?
I guess the best interpretation is that, like Berman, Moffatt believes he knows what the fans want. A worse case scenario is that he just doesn't care what they want.
Old October 17 2013, 08:38 PM   #157
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Well, if this board is anything to go by, there is no one thing that 'the fans' want and he's never going to please everyone by giving them what 'they' want. So all he can do is write the best story that he feels he can write and hope at least a majority of viewers enjoy it.
Old October 17 2013, 09:26 PM   #158
Starkers
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Well, if this board is anything to go by, there is no one thing that 'the fans' want and he's never going to please everyone by giving them what 'they' want. So all he can do is write the best story that he feels he can write and hope at least a majority of viewers enjoy it.
I think that sums up the situation more than adequately!

Old October 17 2013, 10:18 PM   #159
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

This. I don't want a fan service tv show.
Old October 17 2013, 11:09 PM   #160
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

sidious618 wrote: View Post
From comments Moffat is making, it really looks like he's planning on looking forward to another 50 years as opposed to the past. I think that's a very legitimate approach.
That's pretty optimistic, considering he'll probably be dead in 50 years.

The world is becoming an increasingly ephemeral place (kinda like how the aliens saw Tegan, Turlough, and the Doctor in Enlightenment - an excellent Fifth Doctor story, btw, that wraps up the Black Guardian story arc that began in The Ribos Operation), and while some people honor the past, others have the idea that if it happened more than 10 years ago, it's old and irrelevant.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 11:18 PM   #161
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I'm one of them, and I still don't think that catering to the whimsical tastes of fandom is the best way to tell an entertaining story.
Yeah, but we've had season after season of entertaining stories so why not cater to the whimsical tastes of fandom just this once?
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 11:20 PM   #162
AllStarEntprise
Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I find that ironic in a weird way. If you search the tag Moffat or Moffhate on tumblr. A lot of fans criticize Moffat for injecting his own fanboyism in to the show. A common complaint is that Moffat has turned the Doctor in to a "infantile James Bond" character.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 01:03 AM   #163
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, but we've had season after season of entertaining stories so why not cater to the whimsical tastes of fandom just this once?
What do you mean, just this once? All last season had little mentions of Doctor Who history that only fans would recognize. Like in Cold War, when the TARDIS saved itself--that was a 2nd Doctor reference.

Hell, the Name of the Doctor was all about the Doctor's past. With appearances by all of the Doctors.
Old October 18 2013, 02:10 AM   #164
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

See we know you're kidding now if you consider that Name of the Doctor had appearances by all of the Doctors.
Old October 18 2013, 09:06 AM   #165
Starkers
Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
That's pretty optimistic, considering he'll probably be dead in 50 years.
I don’t think you see the point, he isn’t doing it so he can enjoy Who in 50 years, he’s doing it so Who can carry on for the next 50 years.
As a Greek philosopher once said. “Civilisations grow great when old men plant trees under whose shade they know they’ll never sit.”

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I find that ironic in a weird way. If you search the tag Moffat or Moffhate on tumblr. A lot of fans criticize Moffat for injecting his own fanboyism in to the show. A common complaint is that Moffat has turned the Doctor in to a "infantile James Bond" character.
I always find it amusing that the anti-Moffat crew tend to split into two factions. Those who claim he’s dumbed it down, and those who claim he’s made it too complicated people were more consistent in their critiques of RTD

See we know you're kidding now if you consider that Name of the Doctor had appearances by all of the Doctors.

All the Doctors were referenced and we saw/heard stock footage relating to all of them (I think!)