Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 15 2013, 08:58 PM   #91
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Making a Star Trek series that fits in with today's TV landscape

I was making a Joke out of my point. I see advertisements all the time that instead of selling what they have they just waste space. Like the Hardee's commercial (I love Hardee's by the way). Their commercials are dumb. They are advertising the chick eating the hamburger more than they are advertising the hamburger. The minds behind this commercial wouldn't be smart enough to check if their commercials are really getting out. People eat fast food for whats cheapest, not what they have. THey just don't get it. If the commercial was 10 seconds of "Hey we have a triple bacon cheese burger for 99 cents" that would sell quicker to me than a 30 second commercial of a Hot chick eating a hamburger.

So I saw again, and as FACT, the Nielson rating system is FLAWED. I don't know of anyone that watches law and order SVU and CI. Yet they stay up on the ratings. But if you were to argue that it is just the area I live, then we run right back to my M&M example all over again. If it so happened that the selected group of people for those stupid Nielson boxes were all from my area, L&O would be canceled. Now these flawed pieces of crap boxes are the reason why a good show like Star Trek, got canceled. If TV companies want the (at least partial) truth of who's watching what, they need to put up surveys on their sites.
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 09:06 PM   #92
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
I was making a Joke out of my point. I see advertisements all the time that instead of selling what they have they just waste space. Like the Hardee's commercial (I love Hardee's by the way). Their commercials are dumb. They are advertising the chick eating the hamburger more than they are advertising the hamburger. The minds behind this commercial wouldn't be smart enough to check if their commercials are really getting out. People eat fast food for whats cheapest, not what they have. THey just don't get it. If the commercial was 10 seconds of "Hey we have a triple bacon cheese burger for 99 cents" that would sell quicker to me than a 30 second commercial of a Hot chick eating a hamburger.

So I saw again, and as FACT, the Nielson rating system is FLAWED. I don't know of anyone that watches law and order SVU and CI. Yet they stay up on the ratings. But if you were to argue that it is just the area I live, then we run right back to my M&M example all over again. If it so happened that the selected group of people for those stupid Nielson boxes were all from my area, L&O would be canceled. Now these flawed pieces of crap boxes are the reason why a good show like Star Trek, got canceled. If TV companies want the (at least partial) truth of who's watching what, they need to put up surveys on their sites.
Nothing you've said is fact.

Hot chicks sell shit and people do watch the various Law and Order shows (though I don't personally).
Old October 15 2013, 09:14 PM   #93
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Hot chicks sell shit and people do watch the various Law and Order shows (though I don't personally).
Neilson is FLAWED- FACT!!! (I say its fact as nothing is flawless in this world so I win HAHA)

Seriously though, why you defending a system that's been Star Trek and Science Fiction's enemy for years?
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 09:24 PM   #94
BillJ
Admiral

Seriously though, why you defending a system that's been Star Trek and Science Fiction's enemy for years?
People generally aren't interested in televised sci-fi. Very few shows end up being hits. That isn't a problem with the system used to measure ratings.
Old October 15 2013, 10:47 PM   #95
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Yea, the reason for the hot chick, is because there are indeed guys who will walk away from the commercial thinking Hot chicks eat there, and so they're going to give their business to that restaurant in order to stare at (and maybe have a chance with) those hot chicks, they believe flock there.

I do question the legitimacy of Neilsen ratings numbers, but, honestly there has been cancellations questioned, and when investigated, it turns out the ratings were correct, and the show really wasn't being watched enough to justify it being continued. And again, if you're not watching it live as it airs, but, instead watch it On Demand, torrent, streaming, after 3 days on DVR, etc, you can often avoid the commercials, and the folks paying the bills for the show want their commercials to be seen, that's what they are paying for. (Though On Demand is starting to show the commercials in the first week, with no Fast forward option, and DVRs also are starting to prevent you from skipping the commercials)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 11:08 PM   #96
BillJ
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

I do question the legitimacy of Neilsen ratings numbers, but, honestly there has been cancellations questioned, and when investigated, it turns out the ratings were correct, and the show really wasn't being watched enough to justify it being continued. And again, if you're not watching it live as it airs, but, instead watch it On Demand, torrent, streaming, after 3 days on DVR, etc, you can often avoid the commercials, and the folks paying the bills for the show want their commercials to be seen, that's what they are paying for. (Though On Demand is starting to show the commercials in the first week, with no Fast forward option, and DVRs also are starting to prevent you from skipping the commercials)
I use to question the Nielsen ratings as well, but realized there had been studies (pre-internet, God I'm old) that showed they were pretty accurate on what people were watching.

People like for the things their involved with to be popular (I know I do). But the fact is, science fiction has rarely drawn well in the ratings. When you factor in that it usually costs a lot more to make than a sitcom, drama or reality show it doesn't make economic sense for content providers to produce it.
Old October 15 2013, 11:45 PM   #97
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

So I saw again, and as FACT, the Nielson rating system is FLAWED. I don't know of anyone that watches law and order SVU and CI. Yet they stay up on the ratings.
Because you don't personally know anyone who watches shows which get good ratings means the ratings system is flawed? I'm not trying to be douche, but do you have any idea how statistics work? Because you don't know people who watch those shows proves absolutely nothing about the Neilson system.
Old October 16 2013, 12:35 AM   #98
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I actually used to work for Nielsen (would still were it not for the economic downturn--they are very good employers) and can tell you they take their market research extremely seriously. Constantly re-examining methods, tinkering with quality control, etc.

Frankly, you look around at the current world of mass media, seems to me television can still sustain a Star Trek, given that the basic special effects needed have become cheaper. Like anything, it requires good stories and fascinating characters, while not going crazy on the budget. Me, I see one extremely valuable element in ST there's no getting around--automatic recognition. Means in terms of publicity you get a lot more bang for your buck. The success of Abrams' films have raised awareness of the franchise, quite possibly whet the appetite for more.
Old October 16 2013, 09:05 AM   #99
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

David.Blue wrote: View Post
The success of Abrams' films have raised awareness of the franchise, quite possibly whet the appetite for more.
While the publicity can't hurt, the sad fact is people who will go see the occasional sci-fi action flick in the theaters, won't necessarily sit in their homes and consistently watch a weekly space opera.

Old October 16 2013, 06:01 PM   #100
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
David.Blue wrote: View Post
The success of Abrams' films have raised awareness of the franchise, quite possibly whet the appetite for more.
While the publicity can't hurt, the sad fact is people who will go see the occasional sci-fi action flick in the theaters, won't necessarily sit in their homes and consistently watch a weekly space opera.
Not necessary. You don't need the same people to watch the t.v. show as see the movies. Some, yeah. But movies and t.v. are different audiences, and even in the crossover between the two different media carry with them different expectations. Some fans of James Bond also liked Alias, fore example. Likewise those who enjoy the movies will include lots who'd like to watch a good t.v. show.
Old October 18 2013, 12:02 AM   #101
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Whether Nielsen sampling is wrong is irrelevant. Nielsen's dictate add rates which determine revenue. If a network wants to maximize revenue then the show should cater to what Nielsen measures, even if its only 15 year old girls with red hair living in Minnesota.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote