New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 16 2013, 06:13 AM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: OT: Really good, long-form epic science-fiction

Have you read Douglas Adams' Hitchicker's Guide To The Galaxy series? So far that's the one of the two non-tie in sci-fi novel series I've started. I've only read the first three so far, but I loved them. The other series I'm working on is The Hunger Games trilogy. I loved the first book, and I'm reading the second one right now and so far it's just as good as the first.
Do you do comics? It's only kind of sci-fi, but I read the first digital collection of Y: The Last Man and I loved it.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 07:37 PM   #17
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

As much as I like sci fi as a genre, ad reading in general, outside of the Star Trek and Star Wars books I've barely read any sci fi series. While i've found a few good ones, I generally don't like taking risks on wasting my time and most sci fi not connected to pre existing franchises just don't usually seem interesting enough for me to try. I'd like to read more, but it seems like half the "sci fi" books I find on best of lists are usually realy bizarre premises that don't even involve space or spaceships (which is a must for me, I don't care about time travel or sci fi thats more earth based) and the other half just sound stupid.

That said, two that I do like (although I don't know how huge and epic they are) are the Starship series by Mike Resnick (5 books) and the Troy Rising series by John Ringo (3 books).

The Starship series follows a man named Wilson Cole, a former captain of the republic navy who was demoted for reckless behavior. He gets reassigned as second (or third, I forget which) officer on the strship Teddy Roosevelt, an old beat up ship far from the front lines. Eventually, things happen that lead to him assuming command, getting into a confrotation with the Republic (which is more than a little corrpt) and having the Teddy Roosevlt go off on its on. Its a very entertaining series, with a great cast of characters who I really like. I guess its technically miltary sci fi.

The Troy Rising series deals with Earth's first contact with aliens, who take over. There are a few main characters over the course of the books (although a former sci fi writer named Tyler vernon is the main character for the first book and some of the second), and it follows them and the world from being invaded to fighting back and eventually becoming a power in space. It takes a few missteps and I found the last fort of the third book kind of confusing. The ending asn't really a cliffhanger, but it does't feellike you get closure with he characters or univese. Still, I enjoyed most of the series nd consider it a good read.

Neither of these are hard sci fi, and may not fit the strict definition of "epic" but I'd still say they're both very good series and someone who likes sci fi will probably enjoy them.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Have you read Douglas Adams' Hitchicker's Guide To The Galaxy series? So far that's the one of the two non-tie in sci-fi novel series I've started. I've only read the first three so far, but I loved them. The other series I'm working on is The Hunger Games trilogy. I loved the first book, and I'm reading the second one right now and so far it's just as good as the first.
Do you do comics? It's only kind of sci-fi, but I read the first digital collection of Y: The Last Man and I loved it.
Way ahead of you on all three. Great stuff all around. I almost mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide in my post at the top, but felt like it probably doesn't exactly qualify.

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
...the Starship series by Mike Resnick...
This sounds fun. I think I'll add it to my list.

Based on what you wrote, you REALLY need to check out The Lost Fleet. Nothing in that except spaceships and space and awesome tactics and turnarounds. Most fun I've ever had on MilSF.
Old October 17 2013, 04:21 PM   #19
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Thrawn wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Have you read Douglas Adams' Hitchicker's Guide To The Galaxy series?
Way ahead of you on all three. Great stuff all around. I almost mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide in my post at the top, but felt like it probably doesn't exactly qualify.
Nonsense, of course it does. I just finished all six books a month ago (the first five were re-reads, AND ANOTHER THING...was new to me), and enjoyed them. Why wouldn't that series qualify? Because it's a comedy, and therefore not "serious"?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 04:24 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

RandyS wrote: View Post
Nonsense, of course it does. I just finished all six books a month ago (the first five were re-reads, AND ANOTHER THING...was new to me), and enjoyed them. Why wouldn't that series qualify? Because it's a comedy, and therefore not "serious"?
Personally I don't think Hitchhiker's Guide worked as well in prose as it did in its original radio medium. The first book wasn't that good a novel -- it was largely just a transcription of the radio series, a succession of gags strung together. The later books, the ones that started as novels, got somewhat more substantial, but on the whole the series felt uneven to me, and I didn't care for Mostly Harmless at all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 10:49 PM   #21
JWolf
Commodore

On the list to try someday:

Culture by Iain M. Banks (9 novels, ss collection)

So - recommendations, opinions, other series to share?
I tried Consider Phlebas and can honestly say it was very weak. I started off OK and then quickly went downhill fast. I wouldn't bother with it.
Old October 18 2013, 12:33 AM   #22
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

JWolf wrote: View Post
On the list to try someday:

Culture by Iain M. Banks (9 novels, ss collection)

So - recommendations, opinions, other series to share?
I tried Consider Phlebas and can honestly say it was very weak. I started off OK and then quickly went downhill fast. I wouldn't bother with it.
I've read that one, actually, and had mixed feelings. But I've been told by many people that the rest are different and much better, so it's been on my list to try again for a while.
Old October 18 2013, 04:08 AM   #23
sulfur
Lieutenant Commander

Aside, if you like John Ringo's Troy Rising, I'd recommend checking out Schlock Mercenary, a web comic that is set in the far future of the world of Troy Rising (Ringo read the web comic and was taken so wrote a story about how the first contact from the comic may have happened).
sulfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 11:47 AM   #24
indianatrekker26
Captain

I recently started The Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. I'm really enjoying it so far.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 03:39 PM   #25
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Personally I don't think Hitchhiker's Guide worked as well in prose as it did in its original radio medium. The first book wasn't that good a novel -- it was largely just a transcription of the radio series, a succession of gags strung together. The later books, the ones that started as novels, got somewhat more substantial, but on the whole the series felt uneven to me, and I didn't care for Mostly Harmless at all.
True, the radio series was the best adaption, but I liked the books too.

It was the latest movie that I thought was uneven.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 03:50 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

^That's just it, though -- the radio series was the one form of it that wasn't an adaptation, because that's where it originated.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:04 PM   #27
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Despite the man's real life politics, I really enjoyed the first Ender's Game, and the rest of the series is pretty good even if it goes in a totally different direction. Never did get round to the Shadow series.

Forever War is brilliant, the sequel Forever Free does a similar thing. The thematic sequel Forever Peace explores the same ideas but in a slightly different universe. There's apparently a short story that explores the space between War and Free from a different character, but I literally just found out about it while I was looking up the names for the sequels.

I've always meant to try the Honorverse by David Weber, but have never got round to it.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote