Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 17 2013, 04:35 PM   #196
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
And, presumably, he's off doing more important things. Maybe he'll show up every once in a while.
Like Nick Fury?

In that case, the show I'd rather see would be called Star Wars: More Important Things.

Jeyl wrote:
and she's not some prophesied chosen one who will save the galaxy.
Though she does have the midichlorians for it.

billcosby wrote:
We'll find out this Christmas when santa brings TCW Season 6 to all the good boys and girls with AppleTM products.
I thought that kind of treatment was only for bad boys and girls.
Old October 17 2013, 04:52 PM   #197
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Leia's backstory is one of the great unaddressed questions in the franchise, at least for me. Maybe there's been a novel or two about it, but to me it's a blank slate, and one I'm interested in seeing filled in.
I doubt very much that anyone who's making this series thinks that Leia is the kind of character who can carry a show. An Arc maybe, but she wouldn't be the key player. More like someone who simply observes someone doing something awesome and becomes inspired. She's not a "plays by their own rules" scoundrel, she's not a "cool armor wearing bada**" like Boba Fett and she's not some prophesied chosen one who will save the galaxy. But most importantly, she's not a dude. Star Wars has and always will be dictated by dudes while the dudettes will be the emotional anchors that serve only for the dudes' benefit. Besides, it's a waste of story anyways since Luke pretty much tells Leia in Return of the Jedi that she's only useful to the Alliance if he dies. You're only going to further expand a character who's sole purpose is for the male hero's emotional state.
So, Asokha and Amidala were dudes? Who'da thunk it? Asohka was every bit the lead in The Clone Wars Animated Series that Anakin and Obiwan were, and Amidala was barely behind them

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:17 PM   #198
Christopher
Writer

I'd be happy to see Leia as the lead character, but that wasn't what I proposed. I said "a series arc," i.e. one of its ongoing threads. I expect there to be multiple character and story arcs, but I'd like that to be one of them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:23 PM   #199
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, no one character really "carried" TCW. It was very much an ensemble cast with an almost anthology based format. So count me in for teenage Leia as a regular character. There's a lot of potential there I think.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 06:48 PM   #200
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Lando in his younger years....before he lost the Falcon to Han and became the baron administrator of Cloud City. He's likely an older character than Han and has probably seen as much of the galaxy during the rise of the Empire as others. A cameo or two by a younger Lando during his prime would be pretty entertaining.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:29 PM   #201
Jeyl
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Though she does have the midichlorians for it.
Jeyl wrote:
and she's not some prophesied chosen one who will save the galaxy.
Never been established in any of the movies.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:04 PM   #202
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Established, no. But Yoda, Obi-Wan and even Luke very strongly hinted that she was strong with the Force and might have been the only other hope for defeating the Empire and the Dark Side had anything happened to Luke.

As the twin sister of Luke Skywalker and the daughter of the Chosen One - the individual with the highest midichlorian count ever recorded in the Jedi Order - Leia probably does have a higher midichlorian count than most other sentient beings in the galaxy.

Old October 17 2013, 09:22 PM   #203
Christopher
Writer

It's not Leia's Force potential that interests me. It's her career as a senator-cum-rebel leader, and her formative years on Alderaan. I've always been curious about that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 09:37 PM   #204
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, any show depicting Leia pre-RotJ cannot show her force potential as anything other than a latent ability. Leaps of perception based on instinct or empathetic insights are about all they can really do with her in that regard.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 09:47 PM   #205
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Just to be clear, I'm not in favor of depicting a pre-Episode IV Senator Leia Organa with any Force powers. I was just theorizing how powerful she might actually be based on what was established about her family and parentage and some dialogue from ROTJ.

Yeah, showing a teenage or prepubescent Leia with Force skills would create a minefield of continuity problems that could drag any such story down. Just depict her as a little girl or teenager with political savvy and idealism along the lines of her adoptive father and let the discovery of her Force powers and potential happen much later in the timeline.

Old October 17 2013, 10:02 PM   #206
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not in favor of depicting a pre-Episode IV Senator Leia Organa with any Force powers. I was just theorizing how powerful she might actually be based on what was established about her family and parentage and some dialogue from ROTJ.

Yeah, showing a teenage or prepubescent Leia with Force skills would create a minefield of continuity problems that could drag any such story down. Just depict her as a little girl or teenager with political savvy and idealism along the lines of her adoptive father and let the discovery of her Force powers and potential happen much later in the timeline.
Yea, but, I think Reverend is right, you'd need to show her potential via insight/empathy/perceptive of integrity, kinda things, or else it would be "Outta nowhere" 20+ years down the line (Or as early as when it's revealed in Original Trilogy).

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 01:46 AM   #207
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Yeah, showing a teenage or prepubescent Leia with Force skills would create a minefield of continuity problems that could drag any such story down.
Which means they'll probably do it.
Old October 18 2013, 04:41 AM   #208
FreezeC77
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Yeah, showing a teenage or prepubescent Leia with Force skills would create a minefield of continuity problems that could drag any such story down.
Which means they'll probably do it.
Granted this is expanded universe...but there is a way to block an individual from accessing the force. There would need to be a mindwipe on Leia as well.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:08 PM   #209
Jeyl
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, but, I think Reverend is right, you'd need to show her potential via insight/empathy/perceptive of integrity, kinda things, or else it would be "Outta nowhere" 20+ years down the line (Or as early as when it's revealed in Original Trilogy).
Problem is that the more awesome you make her, the bigger her downgrade will be once Luke and Han enter the picture. Not only will she need to be rescued, she'll be the one sitting it out while the guys take care of everything. Next movie she'll just be the love interest and the last movie she'll essentially be the victim of an ill-concieved plan which results in what she's most recognizable as. A slave in a metal bikini to a giant slug. All you'll be doing is building up potential and squashing it.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 05:14 PM   #210
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Problem is that the more awesome you make her, the bigger her downgrade will be once Luke and Han enter the picture. Not only will she need to be rescued, she'll be the one sitting it out while the guys take care of everything. Next movie she'll just be the love interest and the last movie she'll essentially be the victim of an ill-concieved plan which results in what she's most recognizable as. A slave in a metal bikini to a giant slug. All you'll be doing is building up potential and squashing it.
Yeah, essentially this. If she's a heroic, badass teenage Senator and Princess with developing latent Force abilities she doesn't recognize for what they are in Rebels but then the smartass damsel in distress who relies on her bravery and a convenient blaster when Episode IV rolls around that's a bit of a downgrade and they wouldn't really feel like the same character or that she had evolved as she reached adulthood.

It just makes more logical sense within the continuity to depict her as a budding child and teenage statesman in Rebels if you're even going to bother to show her in the new series at all, because that's what she's grown into by the time Vader seizes the Tantive IV over Tatooine in the original film. That's the Leia we know, displaying no unusual powers and abilities and essentially just a courageous young woman who's good with subterfuge and a blaster. Let her development and use of any Force powers she has happen in the development of the OT and afterwards when it makes sense.

Besides, Star Wars fans for the most part are smart enough to know that a little girl Leia can't be running around doing things she didn't do in the Original Trilogy. They know she's the daughter of the Chosen One and the twin sister of the Great Whine Hope and that she'll come to the realization of who she really is and what her powers and potential are during ROTJ and the years after that. You don't have to make every character super-bang-pow-kewl before they're supposed to be - there are plenty of interesting stories one can tell about kid or teen Leia that don't involve latent Force powers and being Ellen Ripley with hair buns.