Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 4 2013, 01:33 AM   #2101
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

The Hugos are voted on by attendees and members of WorldCon. If you want something else to win next year, then get your ass a membership for the next one and throw your nomination in.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 02:24 AM   #2102
Dream
Admiral

Being nominated for a Hugo is meaningless. Very BAD episodes of Trek have been nominated like TNG's "Encounter at Farpoint" and ENT's "A Night in Sickbay". Only winners should count!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:07 PM   #2103
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

So it turns out that Mark Gatiss is playing Tycho Nestoris. That's the name of the emissary from the Iron Bank who reaches Stannis at the end of A Dance with Dragons. I'd guess that Tycho will be combined with Noho Dimittis, the Iron Bank emissary Cersei sends away in Feast-- I had forgotten they were separate characters. It may be that the Iron Bank strand is being emphasized earlier on the show than in the books, or that an awful lot of Feast material is in the latter half of season four.
Old September 10 2013, 03:25 AM   #2104
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I imagine they'll show Tywin and/or Tyrion haggling with him, for contrast when Cersei completely messes things up the following year.

Another new casting suggesting there will be foreshadowing of A Feast For Crows elements this season: "Bronze" Yohn Royce, Lord of Runestone.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:18 PM   #2105
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Indie band Sigur Rós will appear in season 4. Musicians at Joffrey's wedding, perhaps? They're part of the Croatia filming, anyway.
Old September 10 2013, 02:46 PM   #2106
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ So they'll be learning how to play The Rains of Castamere, I assume?
Old September 10 2013, 03:03 PM   #2107
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I think they're more likely to be doing a new song, though admittedly there are only a couple full numbers from the books left to adapt. But I do hope the gags about every singer performing "The Rains of Castamere" make it into the episode.
Old September 21 2013, 12:03 PM   #2108
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

In a sign of just how popular and recognised the show has become, its music and the style of the opening credits have been used in a trailer for the kids' show Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom. The trailer uses the GOT music and pans over the little kingdom they way the GOT credits pan through Westeros. Likely to be lost on B&H's target audience, I imagine (at least, I hope they're not watching GOT as well!) but will doubtless get some recognition from parents.

YouTube only has home-made recordings of the trailer so far but it's airing on Nick Jr and variants of that channel if anyone is curious.
Old September 24 2013, 01:07 AM   #2109
Dream
Admiral

Peter Dinklage on Sesame Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkj4i-QjWrQ
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:02 PM   #2110
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Another new casting: Struan Rodger as Bloodraven. Or as "Three-Eyed Raven," anyway. Rodger has done some voice acting, so it may be that he's just voicing the raven in dream sequences, but he's certainly the right physical type for Bloodraven, and it seems more likely to me that Bran will meet him by the end of the season.
Old October 17 2013, 08:30 PM   #2111
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Maybe Bran in the show can finally become interesting now. Show-only people are baffled as to why I like his chapters so much in the books.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 09:02 PM   #2112
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I wonder if they will feature Coldhands in this season and, if so, will they bring back the actor who played Benjen Stark in S1?
Old October 17 2013, 09:04 PM   #2113
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Maybe Bran in the show can finally become interesting now. Show-only people are baffled as to why I like his chapters so much in the books.
Yeah, they haven't done a terribly good job in the show demonstrating the power of a green seer. Aside from the Dragons and Others, Bran is the embodiment of the mysticism of this world, at least as it applies strictly to humans. I hope they start digging into his seeing and warging capabilities more this coming season, or else I fear they will be doing the character and the story's bigger picture a great disservice. As the strength of magic grows in general, I suspect it should playing a major role in the next two books. The show needs to reflect that so they don't paint themselves in a corner and have to retcon something. I'm surprised - I know GRRM is involved with the series, but I don't know why he didn't push for more mysticism in the Bran scenes, and they kind of glossed over how significant it was for him to warg into another human (Hodor).
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I wonder if they will feature Coldhands in this season and, if so, will they bring back the actor who played Benjen Stark in S1?
I suspect they'll run into Coldhands, yes. IIRC, they don't get far beyond the wall before running into him.

As for Benjen, I don't think it's been confirmed that he really is Coldhands, but I think most people agree that it probably is. Throughout Bran's interactions with him, however, Bran does not recognize him as such - I think his face is always hidden by a cloak hood or something - so they could theoretically get anyone of similar build to play Coldhands until his reveal in later seasons, once it is determined who he really is.
Old October 17 2013, 09:49 PM   #2114
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I don't know why he didn't push for more mysticism in the Bran scenes, and they kind of glossed over how significant it was for him to warg into another human (Hodor).
Lots of magical elements from the books have been cut. The showrunners prioritise tits over magic, as a means of making the show more accessible to non-fantasy fans.

I do like this show quite a bit, but it's hard for me to discuss it without launching in to a negative rant about.. just about any element.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 09:56 PM   #2115
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I suspect they'll run into Coldhands, yes. IIRC, they don't get far beyond the wall before running into him.

As for Benjen, I don't think it's been confirmed that he really is Coldhands, but I think most people agree that it probably is. Throughout Bran's interactions with him, however, Bran does not recognize him as such - I think his face is always hidden by a cloak hood or something - so they could theoretically get anyone of similar build to play Coldhands until his reveal in later seasons, once it is determined who he really is.
Yeah, I know it's not spelt out in the books that Coldhands is Benjen. I'm just curious as to whether the show-runners are in the camp that says he is and, if so, they bring back the original actor. I agree entirely with your post. It wouldn't bother me if someone else played the role (though others may feel differently).