Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 16 2013, 11:02 PM   #376
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Check out my FB photo album in the link below. I got some really cool sun back-lit images of the Ent-D with some natural JJ lens flare effects going on.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 11:56 PM   #377
mtblillie
Commander

Didn't get mine yet, but mail seems a bit slow in this area (Four Corners, New Mexico). I wouldn't be surprised if it were sitting at the post office. Half the time they give me a slip to pick up the package rather than leave it in a package mailbox twice its size.

Johnny Rico, your pics are great! The refit E doesn't look nearly as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.
Old October 17 2013, 12:16 AM   #378
Racer_X
Commander

I got mine, I'm in Denver.
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:26 AM   #379
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

mtblillie wrote: View Post
Johnny Rico, your pics are great! The refit E doesn't look nearly as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.
It ain't too bad, but they definitely missed an opportunity. No Aztec paint job, and the lack of some greenish-grey paint on the deflector dish cone and along the dorsal side of the engineering hull just below the neck, and a vertical stripe of that same color up the neck just to the front of the few windows on it. I also noticed that the Federation "decal" on the side isn't positioned correctly. The little "Starfleet emblem" is too far back. It should start on that last ring of the cone, and on this model, it's completely off of the cone.

But the problem is that this model is so relatively small that these paint job issues would be extremely difficult to do. I don't know the method of which these were painted. I don't know if the prototype was hand-painted, and then copied by machine for mass production, or if every model is hand painted.
Old October 17 2013, 12:46 AM   #380
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

For those who are having a hard time figuring out how to assemble the folder, it's a bit confusing at first. I actually did it backwards at first, so here's what you do.

Cut off the moldings of the little pegs from each side of the binder. Then remove the pegs from the molding. They give you 4 extra pegs for the binder in case you break or lose any. Now then, here's where I screwed up the first time. But here's the correct way to do this. 1) Carefully unsnap the end caps off of the spine ends. This exposes the rear holes for where the pegs go. 2) Feed each peg into the holes from THAT side with the the little flared end of the peg away from the hole. It's kind of like a nail head. That head is used to hold the pegs in place. 3) Once you get all 16 pegs into each spine end, snap the cover back into place to hold the pegs. But once you try to fit the magazines into them, you will most probably have to leave one end cap undone to be able to pull the peg out enough to fit the mag in properly. It was hard enough trying to get these 2 mags in side by side. I can't imagine how tight it will be once we get 16 in there.
Old October 17 2013, 02:41 AM   #381
Caesar753
Commander

Hasn't arrived in Wisconsin yet. Hopefully tomorrow!
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 02:01 PM   #382
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Interesting way to store the magazines. They try to limit any damage or necessitate the use of a three-ring hole punch. Unfortunately, it's easy to turn up the paper at the spine a little bit when you're trying to push the pins through. Cool concept though.

I'm finding that I'm not as disappointed with the refit as I thought I would be. Yes, it has those blue intakes on the nacelles and it's lacking in aztecking, but as a model itself it is really quite good. And the Enterprise-D is absolutely fantastic in almost every way. I'm personally leaving them all in their original packaging (it sometimes sucks to be a collector) but that's okay, I can see most of the detail.

I am surprised by how "dark" the paint palette is in reality. The photos in all the magazines and in various locations around the web really made these things look lighter, almost white, than they really are. Not a bad thing, really, just surprising.

And the magazines are high-quality glossy heavy-weight paper. They really did an amazing job on this series. So glad I got in at the start of it.
Old October 17 2013, 02:23 PM   #383
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Both of my magazines were damaged, but nothing too serious.

I too was surprised at how dark the refit was.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 02:58 PM   #384
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Interesting way to store the magazines. They try to limit any damage or necessitate the use of a three-ring hole punch. Unfortunately, it's easy to turn up the paper at the spine a little bit when you're trying to push the pins through. Cool concept though.
Yeah, a 3-hole punch would have been better, but it would destroy the pictures within the mag...especially the centerfold.

I'm finding that I'm not as disappointed with the refit as I thought I would be. Yes, it has those blue intakes on the nacelles and it's lacking in aztecking, but as a model itself it is really quite good.
Yeah, the model is not bad, but they sure dropped the ball on the paint job. But I chalk that up to this being one of the original 5 test run models from last year. Hopefully when they do the -A, they'll do a complete make-over. Not only is the Aztecking missing, some of the greenish grey paint panels on the secondary hull and neck missing as well. (The deflector dish cone, the dorsal section ahead of the nacelle pylons, and a vertical stripe on the neck.) I think the "blue dot" on the rear of the saucer section isn't quite right either. The recessed ring around the dot should've been blue, or even aqua, while the dot should've actually been orange.

And the Enterprise-D is absolutely fantastic in almost every way. I'm personally leaving them all in their original packaging (it sometimes sucks to be a collector) but that's okay, I can see most of the detail.
Just save the boxes...you can always put them back in whenever you want.

I am surprised by how "dark" the paint palette is in reality. The photos in all the magazines and in various locations around the web really made these things look lighter, almost white, than they really are. Not a bad thing, really, just surprising.
I know what you mean, but I think I can answer that, as evidenced by all the photos I took (link in my sig). It seems that the brightness (or darkness) of each model is determined by whether or not a Flash is used when taking the picture. When taken in natural light (without a flash) it's dark as you say, but when a Flash is used, it washes out the darkness, and it turns the grey paint to almost a pure white.

And the magazines are high-quality glossy heavy-weight paper. They really did an amazing job on this series. So glad I got in at the start of it.
Yeah, interesting take on these mags. I don't think I've ever seen this done before with toys/models. Where you get almost like a short "The Art of" book with the toy/model.
Old October 17 2013, 03:13 PM   #385
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
I think the "blue dot" on the rear of the saucer section isn't quite right either. The recessed ring around the dot should've been blue, or even aqua, while the dot should've actually been orange.
If I understand what you're saying, I think you're referring to the impulse deflection crystal. Actually, they got that right. The CG render in the mag has it as orange and this is incorrect. The only Fed starship that ever had orange crystals was the Lakota in DS9's "Paradise Lost". All the others who had them were blue. The recessed ring was a lighter blue. They missed that, definitely, but the crystal itself is blue.
Old October 17 2013, 04:20 PM   #386
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
I think the "blue dot" on the rear of the saucer section isn't quite right either. The recessed ring around the dot should've been blue, or even aqua, while the dot should've actually been orange.
If I understand what you're saying, I think you're referring to the impulse deflection crystal. Actually, they got that right. The CG render in the mag has it as orange and this is incorrect. The only Fed starship that ever had orange crystals was the Lakota in DS9's "Paradise Lost". All the others who had them were blue. The recessed ring was a lighter blue. They missed that, definitely, but the crystal itself is blue.
OK, gotcha.
Old October 17 2013, 07:09 PM   #387
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Do Eaglemoss localise the magazine for the US, or does it retain the British English spelling and punctuation? For example, how is "colour" spelt on page 17 of issue 1? I'm curious as to the lengths to which Eaglemoss go.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:14 PM   #388
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Do Eaglemoss localise the magazine for the US, or does it retain the British English spelling and punctuation? For example, how is "colour" spelt on page 17 of issue 1? I'm curious as to the lengths to which Eaglemoss go.
It's the UK version. At least the flyer (recreation of the info that was on the website that detailed the Collection) was. Haven't read much of the mags to see if that's the case, though, but I believe it is the UK version.
Old October 17 2013, 07:24 PM   #389
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Kind of an oversight, seeing as the US is potentially a much bigger market.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:51 PM   #390
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Nah...I suspect that anyone interested in this knows where it's really coming from. It's no secret that this is a UK production, and I don't know of anyone who's truly bothered by Queen's English - particularly not enough to cancel their subscription or prevent them from subscribing on account of it.

Either, that, or some folks are going to think that there are some people in Aston, Pennsylvania who spell real funny.