Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 14 2013, 08:26 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: How have the newer novels affected the reading order?

DetroitLibertyP wrote: View Post
I have no idea who the Jarta are
You can always have a quick peek at Memory Beta, the wiki for characters, places and events featured in the licensed tie-ins. It'll usually tell you what canonical events your descriptor was involved in and then, depending on how efficient/completist the fan contributors have been, all other appearances, eg:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jarada

Beware of spoilers, but if you're looking for shortcut backstory so you can keep reading a particular series, you are possibly not too concerned about that.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:24 AM   #17
dansigal
Commander

I always reference back to the Relaunch Novels Timeline entry on Memory Beta, I think it's pretty close to what you have. It goes through the Fall.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Re...ovels_timeline

I'm pretty close to where you are. Just finished Resistance. I'm going back to read Tales of the Dominion War before heading on to Q&A. I started in November 2011, so almost two years to get through starting at DS9 relaunch to where I am now. I'd been a great ride so far, and I'm really looking forward to Destiny, plus working in Vanguard and Enterprise relaunch somewhere along the way.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 01:14 AM   #18
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

I tried Avatar back in about 2002 but didn't really get into it, and hadn't really read any books apart from Harry Potter since then. Earlier this year I read the "A time to..." series, which took a long time, getting second hand books from amazon. The main reason was I wanted to know how Wesley had come back in Nemesis (and according to a deleted scene become an engineer)

After the disappointment of May 9th (ironic as it was our wedding anniversary), I realised the only way to get my trek fix would be to read the books.

So I moved onto Death in Winter, then Taking Wing, based on a few posts in this forum

Then Articles of the Federation, after a few chapters it mentioned something about the cliffhanger at the end of Taking wing.

I'd already bought Resistance, but it was at home, and I was 10,000 miles away stuck in Austrailia with a weekend and an ipad on my hands. I bought Tales of the Dominion war on the kindle app, then Red King, then decided to go back to the start, and then thanks to this forum, discovered

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/t...ing-order.html

Battle of Betazed, A stitch in time, left hand of destiny, Avatar followed. I was keen to jump to Unity, but reading the timeline at the front I decided to back track to Mission Gamma #1, then realised I should read, cold fusion (the SCE e-book), gateways #4 and abyss, now 57% through on mission gamma #1.

So that's about a dozen books in the last 3 months. Being trapped alone in foreign countries a lot does have it's benefits.
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 02:00 AM   #19
dansigal
Commander

^ Love this story. We all come to it in our own unique way. The books have been just a ton of fun for me.
Old October 17 2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

Agreed! Those clever writers/editors have created a pretty cohesive universe. Seems like a lot of us start somewhere in the middle but references and new characters quickly create a list of books to go seek out and read.
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Slyvon wrote: View Post
Agreed! Those clever writers/editors have created a pretty cohesive universe. Seems like a lot of us start somewhere in the middle but references and new characters quickly create a list of books to go seek out and read.
The integrated universe is the key. I'd read a few series in the past - the Furys, the Shatnerverse, etc. But aside from that the books all seemed very standalone. Necessarily nothing changed from the start of the book to the end, as obviously the TV series was still ongoing.

That's all changed now, I just didn't realise it.
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 01:45 PM   #22
Bumbles861
Admiral

Paul Weaver wrote: View Post
Slyvon wrote: View Post
The integrated universe is the key. I'd read a few series in the past - the Furys, the Shatnerverse, etc. But aside from that the books all seemed very standalone. Necessarily nothing changed from the start of the book to the end, as obviously the TV series was still ongoing.

That's all changed now, I just didn't realise it.
And it's been a gut-wrenching ride, too. I thought the Typhon Pact books following the Destiny series were a well crafted answer to the severe fracturing of the Federation. I was honestly very happy to have a few new stand alone TOS books to come back to and give me a chance to recollect my own thoughts. Single stories had a welcome mellowing effect. I still have a stack of new books yet to read and wait in anticipation for the new "Fall" series. All-in-all, I hope to do a lot of catching up during the winter months. I should be into them now, but in all honesty, with the passing of A.C. Crispin, I ended up flipping through her books again and am now in the middle of "Sarek".
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 09:28 PM   #23
dansigal
Commander

The Destiny trilogy will be $1.99 a piece for Kindle on Wednesday. I should be getting to it in another two months or so, so solid timing for me.

http://www.davidmack.pro/blog/?p=4715