Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 16 2013, 06:56 AM   #31
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm not comfortable with the "evil for evil's sake" bit. Khan wanted power, yes, but I think he believed his motives were benevolent, that he deserved to rule for the greater good. "Space Seed" says that he didn't start wars of aggression and that there were no massacres under his rule.
Sounds like they butchered the character again. Moustache twirling villains who just do bad to be bad are just boring and not worth my time. Pass.
Old October 16 2013, 02:54 PM   #32
The Wormhole
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
IDW's previous "Khan" comic was a retelling of ST II, filling a comic adaptation gap that has been there since the 80s.
Actually, their last Khan comic was Ruling in Hell, IDW's take on Khan's life on Ceti Alpha V.

This board would have been filled with angry comments such as, "Orci & Kurtzman are gutless. How much cooler would this film had been if they'd allowed Cumberbatch to tackle... Khan?"
Well, I for one thought John Harrison, renegade Starfleet officer turned terrorist made a more interesting villain than Khan.
Old October 16 2013, 03:46 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
Sherlock Holmes was a literary character open to interpretation and adaption. Khan was as much a visual and performance based characterisation as he was written one.
A spurious distinction. Fictional characters are fictional characters. There was a time when only one actor, William Gillette, had ever played Sherlock Holmes -- in the 1899 play that Gillette cowrote with Conan Doyle. Gillette's performance was iconic and introduced the phrase "Elementary, my dear Watson" and the calabash pipe to the popular perception of Holmes. I'm sure that back then, there were people who were upset when H.A. Saintsbury took over the role for the touring company, or when John Barrymore or Basil Rathbone took over onscreen. All these things are relative. For all we know, a century from now, a dozen different actors may have played versions of Khan. Just because we've only seen two so far, that doesn't mean it's intrinsically wrong to recast the role.

I mean, come on, Montalban only played the character twice. I can somewhat understand the attitudes of people who resisted the idea of anyone other than Shatner playing Kirk, because he had over a hundred opportunities (counting the animated series) to delineate and solidify his characterization. But Montalban didn't even play the same version of Khan in TWOK that he did in "Space Seed." The two had the same name, but one was a cunning manipulator and seducer with an aim toward galactic conquest and the other was a raving madman out for personal revenge. So I'd hardly call that an indelible, definitive characterization.

TWOK has not been surpassed by STIF in terms of acclaim and the fact is that Cumberbatch was very much having to step into a role where he would automatically be compared to an iconic performance. That is different to an interpretation of Holmes.
I don't see how. There have been many iconic performances of Holmes. People of my generation grew up seeing Jeremy Brett as the absolutely definitive Holmes, and before that many saw Basil Rathbone the same way. You may think your objections are unique to this character, but I've heard the same kneejerk resistance to novelty from many Holmes fans in the past, people who refused to accept anyone other than Brett in the role. I've seen fans complaining about Robert Downey, Jr.'s Holmes in much the same tone that you're complaining about Cumberbatch's Khan. You may see a difference, but I don't. I've heard it all before, about many different characters.

He was always destined to have a hard time breaking away from that and the attempts to do so have reduced him Khan to something of a largely unfamiliar bad guy who just happens to share the name. I wouldn't be the first person to suggest that had he remained John Harrison it would've made little difference to STID. Therefore I think having him carry the burden of the Khan name was a disservice to Benedict. He should've been able to create his own bad guy from scratch (in terms of performance).
I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're saying that Khan is a more iconic and familiar character than Sherlock Holmes, and while that may be true for a few very insular Trekkies, in general it's quite a ridiculous notion. Khan has only been depicted twice before, not counting tie-ins. And, again, in two very different ways that I don't even consider the same character. Holmes is an immensely more well-defined fictional persona. There's thousands of times more cultural baggage attached to Holmes than there is to Khan. Khan is a pop-culture lightweight, inconsequential in comparison.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:54 PM   #34
slappy
Commodore

Apparently nobody's talking about the actual comic lol.

I liked it alot.

Except the use of a couple of actions and dialogue lifted right from the movie. There was no need for that. Why would a kid be saying and doing the exact same things years later? Seems like pandering and nobody that buys this comic needs any more pandering to.

slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:58 PM   #35
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Although Samuel Cogley doesn't get much to do, it's nice to know he still lawyering in the alternate reality.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 01:46 AM   #36
bullethead
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
This board would have been filled with angry comments such as, "Orci & Kurtzman are gutless. How much cooler would this film had been if they'd allowed Cumberbatch to tackle... Khan?"
Well, I for one thought John Harrison, renegade Starfleet officer turned terrorist made a more interesting villain than Khan.
I too would've liked to see Harrison stay Harrison, but even if they didn't make Harrison Khan, they could've done him in ST3 or something else. Not using something immediately doesn't preclude using it later.
Old October 17 2013, 05:07 AM   #37
BlueMetroid
Lieutenant

View BlueMetroid's Twitter Profile

A couple questions for people in "the know"....

In the first issue that was just released, other than what was said in the 7 page preview, are any explanations for Khan's appearance change given? Or are they waiting for later in the series to drop that bomb shell?

Does anyone know if all 4 Khan issues will be combined into one set like past IDW stuff? And if so, when? I'm wondering whether I should buy the individual issues or holdout for the compilation, if one is coming.
BlueMetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 05:13 AM   #38
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

I think it's pretty much a given they'll release a TPB edition at some point. The question is how much you want the various variant covers for the standard issues.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 02:48 PM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

BlueMetroid wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if all 4 Khan issues will be combined into one set like past IDW stuff? And if so, when? I'm wondering whether I should buy the individual issues or holdout for the compilation, if one is coming.
Graphic novel anthologies are usually released within a month of the final issue's release. Since this Khan series is actually six issues long, issue 6 will be released March 2014. The graphic novel will likely be released sometime in March or perhaps even in April, depending on when in March the issue comes out.
Old October 17 2013, 03:55 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

^The term you want is "trade paperback."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 07:22 PM   #41
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Got my #1 today on my comixology app and i found it a fantastic read looking forward to this series with great interest.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:23 PM   #42
Noddy
Captain

And from what I've seen, it looks as though they're going with the original dating of the Eugenics Wars:

Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 03:19 AM   #43
rafterman1701
Commodore

So far I am happy with the story. I got the comic on the Comixology app and there's a nice little screw up. The title says Khan, but my library filed the book under "Kahn."
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:06 AM   #44
JD
Admiral

Noddy wrote: View Post
And from what I've seen, it looks as though they're going with the original dating of the Eugenics Wars:
I think there was a reference in the movie that placed it in the original time period.
Old October 18 2013, 05:14 AM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
I think there was a reference in the movie that placed it in the original time period.
Yep. Khan specifically mentions the year 1996.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote