TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 16 2013, 01:38 PM   #16
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: James Cawley returns to NV as Kirk!

Harvey wrote: View Post
I admit, I haven't been much of a fan film viewer for more than a few years, but aren't there more episodes starring Cawley that haven't been released yet?

For fans of Cawley, it's nice that he's doing one more, but as the saying goes, you have to go away to come back.
Harvey:

Our shot-but-still unreleased episodes are (in filming order): "Kitumba," "The Protracted Man" (aka "Origins") "Mind-Sifter," "Bread and Savagery," and "The Holiest Thing." The two lattermost episodes star Brian Gross and post-production should be completed on those fairly soon. (I think we have a couple of pick-up shots to get for both episodes, but they are largely done.)

"Kitumba" is all shot out and should be released soon. We've done the Starship Exeter routine and have been putting out the episode in pieces--e.g., Teaser, Act 1, and Act 2 so far. (There was some acrimony that the director of "Kitumba" leaked out a fully finished "director's cut" of the episode because "the fans are entitled to see it" and, in so doing, "wrecked" the episode. We, on the other hand, are doing something different: we are putting out the episode in pieces, with each piece not having its final sound done, and not being fully color corrected because "the fans are entitled to finally see it."

I hear "The Protracted Man" needs to be-shot in its entirety. Doing so might be a lower priority than shooting new episodes, so I don't know what the thinking is. (Tobias Richter completed much of the VFX for the episode; it would be a shame to scrap those and I'm sure he would be unhappy.)

About half of "Mind-Sifter" was shot--the stuff on board the Enterprise. None of the "Kirk trapped in the past" footage was done. It would be "easy" to get Brian Gross to do all those Kirk scenes, since we essentially shot around James' unavailability. The larger problem (I guess it's a problem) is that much of the shipboard stuff that we did shoot included Mr. David Sherin as Doctor McCoy--instead of John Kelley--when John became unavailable at the last minute. So I'm not sure if we now have to re-shoot the McCoy scenes or if we'll, instead, release the episode with David Sherin (or if we simply are unlikely to ever finish the episode and release it, I suppose).

A comment that I often make regarding the "James is too much like Shatner"/"James is not enough like Shatner" issue: it's always hard to know how much to "emulate" Shatner and how much to avoid emulating him regardless of how much contortion is necessary. "Look--he pushes the chair's comm button just like Shatner!" (as if James should use his nose instead, in order to avoid the inevitable Shatner comparisons). But an important thing to remember is that James is often given direction on how "Shatner-like" to be by the episode's director. Sometimes James' portrayal of Kirk has been a directorial choice, not an action choice.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

jamesmc wrote: View Post
First off, this thread should not even be here. But, since it is about me I will add my two cents. Me doing this role one more time is about me getting to share some time with some cherished friends and nothing more. There is no drive or competition between myself and anyone else. As to what anyone else is doing with their, time, money and talents, I don't give a s#%T! I have had my fill of this type of thing on Trek boards. Sniping at others for doing something they like to do is just plain RIDICULOUS! AND PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED.
If it's just for your own enjoyment, why bother releasing it to an audience?
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:56 PM   #18
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

First off, this thread should not even be here. But, since it is about me I will add my two cents. Me doing this role one more time is about me getting to share some time with some cherished friends and nothing more. There is no drive or competition between myself and anyone else. As to what anyone else is doing with their, time, money and talents, I don't give a s#%T! I have had my fill of this type of thing on Trek boards. Sniping at others for doing something they like to do is just plain RIDICULOUS! AND PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED.
Thank you.

I've enjoyed what you've done in the past, and look forward to seeing you returning to the center seat for your swan-song.

As a fan, I'm just glad that people such as yourself are willing to share the love you have for the franchise with the rest of us in such a tangible way. I really appreciate it.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:02 PM   #19
HarryM
Fleet Captain

James, you and all the other volunteers have done an AMAZING thing with NV/P2, don't let one troll get under your skin.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:32 PM   #20
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
To allow others to draw enjoyment from watching it?

Why do you seem to feel the need to prevent its release?
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:25 PM   #21
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Smoked, it's called celebrating with other people who share your interest. Why do people put their fan fiction up? Or their fan art? It's for their enjoyment but it's also to share with others.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 07:25 PM   #22
Shatinator
Commander

James THANK YOU for all that you brought to those who appreciate the legacy of the material.
Old October 16 2013, 08:55 PM   #23
Captain Atkin
Commander

Yes, I read it fine. But I'm not saying the reasoning behind him needing to do the extra episode when it is supposed to be set during Shatner's tenure. Why not just let Gross do them all now?
What is wrong with having more than one actor play Kirk at the same time? Absolutely nothing. More power to James Cawley for putting on the uniform again. Back in 1983, we had Sean Connery and Roger Moore both on the big screen playing James Bond. Should Connery have passed on playing Bond again because Moore was making movies? No. The world is big enough to have more than one actor playing Captain Kirk at the same time.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:12 PM   #24
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

How about because some people want to watch it? My website, Star Trek Reviewed is ENTIRELY DEVOTED to helping people like ME who LIKE TO WATCH STAR TREK FAN FILMS spend their time WATCHING rather than HUNTING for these films. I get an average of 40 or 50 visitors a day, who look at 4 to 6 pages each on average. That's a lot of people over the course of a month. I've had over 250,000 pageviews since I started the website, and I firmly believe MOST of those are people who like watching Star Trek fan films.

He releases them for us. If you don't want to watch, don't.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 10:12 PM   #25
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

Maurice wrote: View Post
andriech wrote: View Post
...But the acting is entirely laughable parody. James, a professional performer and actor for over two decades, can act circles around the best of them just sitting on a toilet...
That too was rude and unnecessary. You needn't tear down other people to say you think someone else is good, now do you?
No, I don't.

STC was put up as "solid competition" and that asked for my opinion to the opposite. Vic imitates Shatner the entire episodes, which can only be classified as parody. (James only does ONE LINE each episode ala Shatner and look how he gets roasted...)

There were a lot of people celebrating James' having fun with friends and doing another episode as his own well-developed Kirk. Why people feel the need to attack someone for something that they plan to do is beyond me.

He's decided against doing this episode now.

Thanks.
Old October 16 2013, 10:53 PM   #26
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Old October 16 2013, 11:00 PM   #27
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Nobody should be shooting anyone down for having fun. Watch or don't watch, it's up to the individual. Being a douchebag though, that's unnecessary.
Old October 16 2013, 11:52 PM   #28
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I haven't watched a fan film in years, but Cawley's name showing up on the main page caught my eye. What a disappointment to reach the end of the thread and find out it's not to be. Cawley's work in the fan film field is what partly inspired a lot of people to put out their own efforts. His dedication in creating sets, acquiring props, and professional contacts was virtually unmatched in terms of fan productions.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 11:53 PM   #29
Maurice
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=andriech;8779309]
That seems an overreaction to a few people being rude or dismisive. He's a stage performer, so surely he's to be used to hecklers.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 12:21 AM   #30
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

[QUOTE=Maurice;8779711]
That seems an overreaction to a few people being rude or dismisive. He's a stage performer, so surely he's to be used to hecklers.
He gets PAID to be on stage as Elvis. Is there something about doing it for fun that's not clear? I'm sorry the idiots have gone after him and killed the fun.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote