Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 16 2013, 12:42 AM   #1
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

New Aliens for a New Trek?

TOS gave us Vulcans, Romulans, Andorians, Tellarites and Klingons.

TNG gave us Betazoids, Zakdorn, Trill, Bajorans, Cardassians, the Borg, etc.

DS9 gave us the Dominion and the Prophets as well as many ohters.

VOY gave us Hirogen, Vidians, the Hoth, etc.

ENT gave us Aenar, the Xindi, etc.

Of course all of these make up a partial list at best (and doesn't even mention TAS or the movies). My question is--what kinds of aliens would you like to see in a new Star Trek? What roles would you like to seem them play in such stories, and why?
Old October 16 2013, 03:53 AM   #2
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Re: New Aliens for a New Trek?

Regardless of whether the aliens or new or preexisting, I'd like them to be fully developed and have a real viewpoint. The development of the Cardassians is a great example of this being successfully done in Trek. I'd particularly like to see more development/use of other Federation races. We keep hearing how the Federation is a bastion of community and progressive behavior, but we see super segregated ships.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:09 AM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

An alien race that's overly dependent on its technology (they're always carrying around some device or have something plugged in their ears). They're not evil like Borg, they just really oblivious to things going around them (like where they're going) and don't pay too much attention to others.
Old October 16 2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

An alien race that doesn't look like a human being with ridges.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
grendelsbayne
Lieutenant Commander

Harbinger wrote: View Post
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

New aliens are always good to see (its one of the few things the NuTrek has done well), though it would still be good to go into a little more depth in some already established species--I'd love to see more on the Andorians and Deltans.

Any new series should avoid Klingons, Borg and Q.
Old October 16 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
New aliens are always good to see (its one of the few things the NuTrek has done well), though it would still be good to go into a little more depth in some already established species--I'd love to see more on the Andorians and Deltans.

Any new series should avoid Klingons, Borg and Q.
Totally agree. Me, I'd be very tempted to expand on those vaguely catlike girls with tails in STID.

But first and foremost along those lines, I'd refrain from taking that one scene and extrapolating them into a species of identical twins or clones, all of whom are supersexed and who mate in threes (two females and one male).

Honestly, looking at them what can you say for certain? Well, they are on Earth in the XXIIIrd century. At least some of them are. Their genders include one that seems pretty much identical to human females. Humanoid, and the pink skin would indicate a blood chemistry similar to that of Terrans (as opposed to Vulcans or Andorians for example). Plus they have matching sets of...somethings...on their foreheads and necks. One wonders if those are cosmetic or something else? Sensory organs maybe? If so, to detect what? The pointed ears would seem to possibly indicate a thinner atmosphere than on Earth, while their pigmentation hints at a world with at least some populated regions the equivalent of a Terrestrial temperate climate. Size indicates a planet quite close to that of Earth, Andoria, Vulcan, etc. (are Tellar and Ferengar somewhat larger or at least heavier?)

One could build on that to an interesting race, with a unique civilization methinks!

Last edited by David.Blue; October 16 2013 at 05:21 PM.
David.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
Harbinger wrote: View Post
Yeah, but they were explored very little and then made into the 'we can shapeshift into humans' which utterly destroyed the alien 8472.

I know there's budget constraints, but I'd love to see some Tholians or even a Melkotian make a return. But, since that may be asking for too much at least give us a humanoid alien race that looks a bit more alien than the average Star Trek race.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:10 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

David.Blue wrote: View Post
I'd refrain from taking that one scene and extrapolating them into a species of identical twins or ...
The two actresses were in fact identical twin sisters.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I would like to see some new aliens - and we have (and new types of humans as well, with that Cyborg guy on the bridge in Into Darkness) - but I would also like to see more classic aliens like Andorians, Tellerites, Deltans (unless that bald lady in Into Darkness was supposed to be...but she wasn't really bald - just clearly shaved)...Betazeds....Trill I would love to see Bones on a date with a early version of Dax!)

I was gonna saw Orions, but we saw one! But what about Naussicans? I know they had a design for a Gorn...but I'd really like to see one that's closer to what we saw in "Enterprise" (though Gorn should have *composite eyes*!!! Or maybe now retcon so eye-shields...)

Where the Benzites discovered by then? Now that Starfeet is stepping up their exploration, we may encounter races like the Ferengi earlier...
And I'd like to see Arex's race - they can easily do it with CGI, like that creature on the Kelvin bridge. And *real* versions of M'Ress' race would be good too. (I wish we'd seen Arex's race on the Kelvin's bridge and Morn's race in the Earth bar!)

I mean they already HAVE alien races, so why spend time designing ALL NEW ones. Some now ones, sure - but some old one's would be nice...AND add a needed sense or continuity between Classic and New Trek.

I would like to even see some of the background TMP races would be nice too...some of those designs were really cool - and would fit right in with the new movie's design aesthetic...

So I'd like to see a mix of old and new...and a LOT less "bumpy forehead" aliens!!! NONE, if possible!
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:28 PM   #11
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

Some aliens from the Star Trek 4 Federation council scene would be cool too...

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...liens&tbm=isch
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:22 PM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
An alien race that's overly dependent on its technology (they're always carrying around some device or have something plugged in their ears). They're not evil like Borg, they just really oblivious to things going around them (like where they're going) and don't pay too much attention to others.
Like say... the Bynars?
Old October 16 2013, 11:19 PM   #13
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
David.Blue wrote: View Post
I'd refrain from taking that one scene and extrapolating them into a species of identical twins or ...
The two actresses were in fact identical twin sisters.

I knew that actually. Just don't like the tendency (shown most especially in assumptions about the Bolians based on Mr. Mott's personality) to see one example of a species then assuming they are the statistical embodiment of their entire culture.
Old October 17 2013, 12:45 AM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Like say... the Bynars?
More like:
http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x...FAN2034552.jpg

http://segment.com/wp-content/upload...le-texting.jpg

http://media.cleveland.com/pdq_impac...2893-large.jpg
Old October 17 2013, 02:36 AM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Haha! Well building the things into our minds seems the next logical step.