Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 16 2013, 04:18 AM   #106
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Anyone else sick of Miley Cyrus?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I have a hard time believing anybody's going to seriously begrudge a pop star for saying the kind of things comedians base their careers off saying.
Miley is not a comedian. There's no indication that she said that as a joke.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:42 AM   #107
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Festering Esper wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I don't much like her current image and I've never been a fan of hers anyway, but I do want to point out that she does have talent. For example, listen to this cover of the song "Lilac Wine."
Wow. I didn't hate that. ツ
Ok how did you do this? > ツ

And that want bad its what she should stick to.

Last edited by Gil T.Azell; October 16 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:03 AM   #108
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
Vulture Capitalist wrote: View Post
Making comments about "old jewish men" is not a terribly good way to show you're intelligent.
She's also very young.
No excuse.
Why not? Should I hold all of your youthful indiscretions against you, especially ones where you acted the fool? Of course not. The vast majority of the stupidity we engaged in as teenagers was harmless. It's easy to say "no excuse" because you don't have to deal with it anymore, but people in their late teens/early 20s are going through a very tumultuous phase in their lives. It's doubly compounded if that person is also a media celebrity.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:18 AM   #109
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I'm not tired of Miley, I'm tired of the hatred being thrown at her. She's not doing anything new or even anything wrong. The hysteria with which people feel the need to hate her is kinda frightening.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:21 AM   #110
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I'm not tired of Miley, I'm tired of the hatred being thrown at her. She's not doing anything new or even anything wrong. The hysteria with which people feel the need to hate her is kinda frightening.
That would be my opinion, as well. She's not doing anything many teens don't already do, the difference is everyone gets to see it instead of it being hidden away. What's important to note is that she is smart, she does have a plan for her future, she does have a good singing voice, and personally, I think she's a good person who wants to go on and do great things, and I'm all for that. She's not doing a thing in this world to harm anyone.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old October 16 2013, 06:46 AM   #111
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
Wow. I didn't hate that. ツ
It's a character from a Japanese font.
Old October 16 2013, 02:25 PM   #112
Lonemagpie
Writer

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Yep.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:42 PM   #113
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

She's also very young.
No excuse.
Why not? Should I hold all of your youthful indiscretions against you, especially ones where you acted the fool? Of course not. The vast majority of the stupidity we engaged in as teenagers was harmless. It's easy to say "no excuse" because you don't have to deal with it anymore, but people in their late teens/early 20s are going through a very tumultuous phase in their lives. It's doubly compounded if that person is also a media celebrity.
Miley isn't a child. She's an adult. If she said that line when she was like 10, then most people would let it go. But she said it as an adult, so she should expect to be treated like one. And on top of that, she is a celebrity, so everything she says is automatically treated with extra scrutiny - as it should be.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:23 PM   #114
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I have a hard time believing anybody's going to seriously begrudge a pop star for saying the kind of things comedians base their careers off saying.
Right, but that line was specifically written for her to cause just the right amount of controversy so people feel like it should make them mad but nobody really gets that mad. So she gets all the attention of being controversial without the actual anger.

The line was a calculated publicity move. This is not a Michael Richards situation. The stereotype of the entertainment industry being dominated by Jewish men makes people uncomfortable but it doesn't inspire nearly the same anger and hurt as black oppression issues do. It had the effect she wanted on you: People who don't like her anyway are complaining about it, which makes people who do like her defend her and like her more.

She did not come up with that line on her own: She was told to say it by her publicity agent.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:32 PM   #115
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Right, but that line was specifically written for her to cause just the right amount of controversy so people feel like it should make them mad but nobody really gets that mad. So she gets all the attention of being controversial without the actual anger.

The line was a calculated publicity move. This is not a Michael Richards situation. The stereotype of the entertainment industry being dominated by Jewish men makes people uncomfortable but it doesn't inspire nearly the same anger and hurt as black oppression issues do. It had the effect she wanted on you: People who don't like her anyway are complaining about it, which makes people who do like her defend her and like her more.

She did not come up with that line on her own: She was told to say it by her publicity agent.
I really think the context of the quote has been lost. The idea was being floated that she was somehow being prostituted by the music industry. Executives at her record company were dictating what she wear or not wear and how she presents herself. She was rather bluntly pointing out that the "old jewish men" who ran the company didn't know what would play in the clubs or how 20 year olds would react to music and that all the decisions were hers. Her choice of words could have been better, but the point was this was her success or her trainwreck.

Now of course, we could have a conversation about how a woman in show business has to take her clothes off in order to be heard in our culture, but that is an entirely different conversation.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:52 PM   #116
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

I just saw it somewhere and liked it so I stuck it in my signature.
Old October 16 2013, 06:02 PM   #117
davejames
Vice Admiral

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Yeah her VMA performance was a bit crazy and ridiculous, but we've seen the same kind of thing from Lady Gaga, Pink and others in the past and no one ever thought twice about it.

And yeah she says some stupid and idiotic things at times, but she's a 20 year old pop star. It's kind of their job to get attention by acting ridiculous and saying stupid things.

I certainly have a lot more respect for her than I ever did for Britney Spears. Mainly because she can actually sing. I have her latest album on my phone and it's pretty damn good.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:34 PM   #118
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

No excuse.
Miley isn't a child. She's an adult. If she said that line when she was like 10, then most people would let it go. But she said it as an adult, so she should expect to be treated like one. And on top of that, she is a celebrity, so everything she says is automatically treated with extra scrutiny - as it should be.
Indeed, she has the misfortune of making her mistakes in the public eye. You should feel lucky you don't have that problem. At the same time, I don't think what she said was wrong. I mean, she used the word "old Jewish man." Um... burn her?
Old October 16 2013, 06:37 PM   #119
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

I just saw it somewhere and liked it so I stuck it in my signature.
Ok thanks.
Old October 16 2013, 07:34 PM   #120
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I'm more sick of the insipid media coverage than her at this point.