RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,243
Posts: 5,348,322
Members: 24,611
Currently online: 632
Newest member: Tiberius Kirk

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: vote
I prefer the Wrath of Khan 110 72.85%
I Prefer Into Darkness 17 11.26%
I like them both the same 24 15.89%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 16 2013, 05:53 AM   #46
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

BigJake wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead, you're trying too hard.

(EDIT: I mean, I know you feel like Orci and whathisface are getting a bad rap? But I don't care how much bluster you put into it, there are objectively different problems of plot logic going on in "where was Chekov in Space Seed" and "why is Kirk suddenly a Captain at the end of ST09;" or of "why didn't Khan beam Kirk up with Genesis" and "why does Starfleet need ships when you can teleport from star to star." There's no way to make them into similar problems in the slightest, no matter what BillJ tells you.)
haha. apparently im not trying hard enough. not sure about your point regarding billj. personally, khan acknowledging Chekov without ever knowing the man is much harder for me to swallow than kirk in an alternate timeline being made first officer and then squeezing his way into the big chair. him becoming a captain "too quickly" just doesn't bother me in any way given the circumstances. and regarding the ship comment. how do explore new planets by teleporting when you don't know the end coordinates to undiscovered planets? not that hard to grasp pal.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:07 AM   #47
Balrog
Commodore
 
Balrog's Avatar
 
Location: Balrog
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

BigJake wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead, you're trying too hard.
Back at ya', pal. Last I checked, it's an 'I like' thread, not a 'Let me tell you you're OPINION is wrong' thread.

Put me down for liking both. Always have a sweet spot for TWOK, and I love this new movie. It's a blast!

But I'm sure an insult or a scoldin' for being wrong-minded about some unimportant anal-retentive bullshit from some smarmy basement-dweller is a-comin'...

So... Fire away!
__________________
Anybody got some peppermint?
Balrog was Lloyd Dobler
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:12 AM   #48
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
Khan acknowledging Chekov without ever knowing the man
... is an easy fix that you're rather desperately trying to inflate into a problem of plot logic. TOS adventures were not particularly linear in in-setting timeline, nor is it ever definitively stated in-universe when Chekov was on Enterprise. It's perfectly possible and breaks nothing in the original episode story to simply postulate that Chekov was on board without being on screen (as indeed a great deal of the action in any episode take place offscreen).

It's just not a comparable problem to "Starfleet suddenly promotes cadets on academic probation to commanding flagships." A fix can be found there, too; it's just mostly, when it comes right down to it -- this problem has been extensively chewed over and many defenses attempted in other threads -- along the lines of "forget about the writing and concentrate on the action." Since a fairly major in-universe detail like that (and many other plot logic problems in the Abrams films) just doesn't have a simple, plausible off-screen fix like the supposed Chekov problem.

Sorry, but however much you want them to be, they're not similar cases.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:18 AM   #49
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

Balrog wrote: View Post
Last I checked, it's an 'I like' thread, not a 'Let me tell you you're [sic] OPINION is wrong' thread.
Last I checked, false comparisons don't work whether they're in an "I Like" thread or not*, and questions of plot logic are not entirely subjective. ChowdaHead is free to like whatever he wants to, but claims about logic problems with a script will likely provoke discussion, since it is in fact possible to make such claims and be wrong.

(*Pretty much the same holds for the venerable rubber-glue defense, BTW.)
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:24 AM   #50
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

BigJake wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
Khan acknowledging Chekov without ever knowing the man
... is an easy fix that you're rather desperately trying to inflate into a problem of plot logic. TOS adventures were not particularly linear in in-setting timeline, nor is it ever definitively stated in-universe when Chekov was on Enterprise. It's perfectly possible and breaks nothing in the original episode story to simply postulate that Chekov was on board without being on screen (as indeed a great deal of the action in any episode take place offscreen).
Oh do come along. Next you'll be telling us there were toilets on the Enterprise, when they clearly never showed anyone going to pee. I suppose you also think there were more than 20 people on the ship, when we never saw more than that?
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:28 AM   #51
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

Maurice wrote: View Post
Putting a "which one is better" poll in a forum dedicated to older Star Trek films is like going to a baseball game in AT&T Park in San Francisco and asking the crowd if the Giants or the Dodgers are best.
This is a fair point.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:45 AM   #52
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

BigJake wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
Khan acknowledging Chekov without ever knowing the man
... is an easy fix that you're rather desperately trying to inflate into a problem of plot logic. TOS adventures were not particularly linear in in-setting timeline, nor is it ever definitively stated in-universe when Chekov was on Enterprise. It's perfectly possible and breaks nothing in the original episode story to simply postulate that Chekov was on board without being on screen (as indeed a great deal of the action in any episode take place offscreen).

It's just not a comparable problem to "Starfleet suddenly promotes cadets on academic probation to commanding flagships." A fix can be found there, too; it's just mostly, when it comes right down to it -- this problem has been extensively chewed over and many defenses attempted in other threads -- along the lines of "forget about the writing and concentrate on the action." Since a fairly major in-universe detail like that (and many other plot logic problems in the Abrams films) just doesn't have a simple, plausible off-screen fix like the supposed Chekov problem.

Sorry, but however much you want them to be, they're not similar cases.
haha. youre simply picking and choosing, sir. this argument is so awful. youre trying a bit too.... hard. there is no fix. because according to canon, they never met. in no previous episode did they MEET. EVER. this is fact. hence why afterwards the cast and everyone involved acknowledged it was something they looked over. it was LAZY. but, this doesn't render it a bad movie. its an enjoyable movie. but its got plenty of problems. your opinion simply isn't going to change that. but feel free to rant and ill continue to refute.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 10:23 AM   #53
Stoo
Captain
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Location: Asa Bay
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

Honestly there are probably more useful criticisms to make of WoK than whether or not Chekov and Khan ever sat down to chat before.
Stoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 11:01 AM   #54
Sigokat
Commander
 
Sigokat's Avatar
 
Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

I like both but prefer Into Darkness.

I watched TWOK about 2 months ago and while it was still awesome it felt dated and kind of cheesy, IMO. I still think RM was great, but I think BC was great in his own right as well.

And I am a huge fan of the Augment/Khan storylines. I loved the books by Greg Cox and how they included Gary Seven (one of my favorite characters) and his work during the Eugenic Wars.
__________________
Just my Two Lincolns
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 11:56 AM   #55
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
haha. youre simply picking and choosing, sir. this argument is so awful. youre trying a bit too.... hard.
Well struck, sir. Unfortunately, I believe we have already established that it is I who am rubber, and you who are glue, infinity-plus-one-no-backsies-punchbuggies-no-returns. Q. To the E. To the mother-@#!$in' D.

I'll see you at the bike racks next Recess.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 02:35 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

Maurice wrote: View Post
Putting a "which one is better" poll in a forum dedicated to older Star Trek films is like going to a baseball game in AT&T Park in San Francisco and asking the crowd if the Giants or the Dodgers are best.
Pretty much.

BigJake wrote: View Post
It's just not a comparable problem to "Starfleet suddenly promotes cadets on academic probation to commanding flagships." A fix can be found there, too; it's just mostly, when it comes right down to it -- this problem has been extensively chewed over and many defenses attempted in other threads -- along the lines of "forget about the writing and concentrate on the action." Since a fairly major in-universe detail like that (and many other plot logic problems in the Abrams films) just doesn't have a simple, plausible off-screen fix like the supposed Chekov problem.
I've never once said "forget about the writing and concentrate on the action." But movies often bend logic to tell the story they want to tell. Too hold Star Trek Into Darkness to a standard that The Wrath of Khan has never been held to is hypocritical at best.

The Wrath of Khan needs Spock to die heroically so they ignore the fact that they have dozens of engineers who have access to radiation gear in order for Spock to go down and save the ship. It seems they have more command grade personnel (Kirk, Spock, Sulu) than competent engineers. They need Kirk to defeat Khan so they ignore the fact that Khan wanted to kill Kirk ten seconds after beaming up the Genesis device so they switch what his endgame is mid-stream (then switch it back). Then there's the fact that the Enterprise can track Reliant on the other side of the Regula planetoid, yet Reliant doesn't seem to know where the Enterprise is at when they come around expecting Enterprise to be at Regula I.

There aren't many movies that could stand up to the scrutiny that Star Trek Into Darkness has been put through. The movie is new and it is different from what some want from Star Trek so that makes it a convenient punching bag.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:36 PM   #57
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

anh165 wrote: View Post
Why dont you actually watch STiD before you call it pigshit?
The script was clearly a mess of several drafts, and was a loosely connected bunch of set-pieces. Wrath of Khan was a lot more coherent in its themes, especially the stuff about getting old which was genuinely moving and interesting. Uhura acting bratty to Spock about being a bad boyfriend.. wasn't.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:37 PM   #58
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Along the border of Talarian space
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Uhura acting bratty to Spock about being a bad boyfriend.. wasn't.
But if that's taken away from her, all she'll have to do is sit there and say "hailing frequencies open", which she would still do terribly.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Susanna Leijten, U.S.S. Silverfin NCC-4470, Border Service Third Cutter Squadron
Manip by: FltCpt. Bossco (STPMA)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:52 PM   #59
The Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Uhura acting bratty to Spock about being a bad boyfriend.. wasn't.
But if that's taken away from her, all she'll have to do is sit there and say "hailing frequencies open", which she would still do terribly.
Really?

I'll never understand the allergic reaction that some fans have to relationship drama. I found the tension between Spock and Uhura fascinating. It felt like a genuine development of their relationship after Spock's trauma. I reacted exactly like Kirk did in the turbolift when Uhura voiced her frustrations about Spock's behavior.

"You're fighting? What must that be like?"

The relationship between Uhura and Spock is fertile ground for conflict and contrasts between the outwardly reserved Spock and the assertive and confident Uhura. Neither one of them likes to be wrong, but Spock has to couch his arguments in logic and affected calm while Uhura can go right to the point. Their relationship is probably the best 'change' in the new series.
__________________
Some say that he was the first choice to play the new Doctor but turned it down when he couldn't put racing stripes on the TARDIS.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:02 PM   #60
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

The Stab wrote: View Post
Their relationship is probably the best 'change' in the new series.
I actually quite like the Spock-Uhura relationship and I rather like that it effectively makes Uhura the third point of the triumvirate originally formed by Kirk, Spock and Bones. And one thing I do like about Abramstrek is that they realized Uhura was a glorified switchboard operator and try to give her more to do.

I also think Trek, being an action-adventure format, is at its best when action is in the foreground and relationship drama is in the background, played subtly (part of why later Bermaga-era Trek started out to outstay its welcome with me was how consistently they forgot this). ST09's touch on the Uhura-Spock relationship was light, and it worked pretty well as a character beat. OTOH I had to groan in STiD when Uhura makes the bizarre decision to have it out with Spock in the midst of a commando mission to the Klingon homeworld. It looks foolish, petty and ridiculous... and the writers knew it. It's one of their many low moments in the film that has to be lampshaded by another character in dialogue, in this case Kirk impotently wondering aloud why they're doing this now.

If that's going to be what the Spock-Uhura relationship is used for, pass.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "Dennis, that was . . . wisdom" - martok2112 "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.