RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,586
Posts: 5,515,327
Members: 25,157
Currently online: 483
Newest member: Lt. Marseille

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 16 2013, 03:11 AM   #1
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

Last night was the first time Ive viewed Nemesis. it was overall a pretty dull and bad film. but, I weighed the bad with the good. some parts were enjoyable, such as shots of Romulus and Remus. what parts, if any, did you enjoy?
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant
 
Smoked Salmon's Avatar
 
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

I really don't think it's that bad. Its worst aspects are the fact that Tom Hardy was too young at the time to carry off the villain well, the plot was a TWOK rehash and Stuart Baird was simply no good for Trek because he didn't get it and didn't care to learn about what made the TNG crew a close knit family. Indeed, if you watch the deleted scenes on the Special Edition DVD this becomes all too evident, particualry in his choice to cut the Picard/Data wine scene, which would've added so much more depth and meaning to both Data's demise and also the wine toast given by the crew. afterwards. You can see it here.

Otherwise I think it's quite good. It has decent pace, the special effects are far superior to those in Isurrection (which looked like cartoons) and the score is great.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

Nemesis is definitely a victim of the final edit. It would still be a problematic film, but if they went back and did a new edit from scratch, you could easily have a film 25% better than what we got.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:42 AM   #4
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
I really don't think it's that bad. Its worst aspects are the fact that Tom Hardy was too young at the time to carry off the villain well, the plot was a TWOK rehash and Stuart Baird was simply no good for Trek because he didn't get it and didn't care to learn about what made the TNG crew a close knit family. Indeed, if you watch the deleted scenes on the Special Edition DVD this becomes all too evident, particualry in his choice to cut the Picard/Data wine scene, which would've added so much more depth and meaning to both Data's demise and also the wine toast given by the crew. afterwards. You can see it here.

Otherwise I think it's quite good. It has decent pace, the special effects are far superior to those in Isurrection (which looked like cartoons) and the score is great.
its biggest flaw is its director. I agree his vision was so far off.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:53 AM   #5
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

I thought Tom Hardy was fine and giving it his all. His performance isn't an issue, it's the script he had to work with. No good actor could have ever tried saving the character the way Shinzon was written.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:09 AM   #6
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander
 
ChowdaHead's Avatar
 
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I thought Tom Hardy was fine and giving it his all. His performance isn't an issue, it's the script he had to work with. No good actor could have ever tried saving the character the way Shinzon was written.
I agree. tom hardy was fine. I can only imagine what he could have done with a powerful script.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:20 AM   #7
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

I thought the lighting was the worst I've seen in a Trek movie. Picard, Riker and Data looked really old. Stewart looks younger in more recent films.

I thought they could have gotten rid of the dune buggy scenes. What was that all about anyway?

I didn't believe for one second that Shinzon was Picard's clone just as I never believed Sybok was Spock's brother. nuKirks portayal of PrimeKirk is more believable.
Shinzon just needed to be a lot less creepy. Just a little bit like Picard in anyway.

That all being said its not all bad. The space battle was OK. Data was heroic. Stewart gave a fine thoughful performance as usual. The wedding was good. The Romulans supporting Picard was great.
The mechanism for wiping out the Romulan senate was cool.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:25 AM   #8
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant
 
Smoked Salmon's Avatar
 
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
I really don't think it's that bad. Its worst aspects are the fact that Tom Hardy was too young at the time to carry off the villain well, the plot was a TWOK rehash and Stuart Baird was simply no good for Trek because he didn't get it and didn't care to learn about what made the TNG crew a close knit family. Indeed, if you watch the deleted scenes on the Special Edition DVD this becomes all too evident, particualry in his choice to cut the Picard/Data wine scene, which would've added so much more depth and meaning to both Data's demise and also the wine toast given by the crew. afterwards. You can see it here.

Otherwise I think it's quite good. It has decent pace, the special effects are far superior to those in Isurrection (which looked like cartoons) and the score is great.
its biggest flaw is its director. I agree his vision was so far off.
I don't even think he had a vision. I think he figured that he'd just shoot the script as is, but not let it grow and adapt as the film was being made. I know the cast hated him because he wasn't interested in their input at all, and, although this has not been confirmed, I suspect the same is probably true of his relationship with John Logan. I think Logan's CV speaks for itself outside of Nemesis and I can't imagine him producing a script of what we ultimately saw on screen.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:31 AM   #9
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

Tosk wrote: View Post
Nemesis is definitely a victim of the final edit. It would still be a problematic film, but if they went back and did a new edit from scratch, you could easily have a film 25% better than what we got.
^ This. While I don't think Nemesis was ever necessarily a good movie, the deleted scenes clearly show that there were plenty of genuine TNG character moments that ended up on the cutting room floor. And there are reportedly even more of them which haven't as yet surfaced to the public.

While it obviously wouldn't be a "director's edition", I'd love to see somebody (Frakes?) given permission to go through the dailies and reconstruct it. I honestly think there's a better version of Nemesis out there that we haven't seen.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Smellmet
Captain
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

I've always enjoyed Nemesis, and rank it alongside First Contact out of the TNG movies, apart from the odd scene I didn't like (dune buggy - just looked cheap and poorly executed) I think it's decent entertainment, I love the wedding scene, and the battle with the Scimitar is for me the best space battle in all 12 movies. I've never understood the hate it's received down the years. Tom Hardy did what he could with the material he had to work with, no real complaints from me there. Would I have changed anything about the film? Sure, but if I'm reaching for my 1-10 box set, Nemesis is usually one of the ones I re-watch the most.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

Let's see:

Good Things
Romulus/Remus flyby
The Opening Senate Scene
Riker/Troi Wedding
Picard's Meeting with Shinzon


Bad Things
Discovering B4
Dune Buggies
Purposely killing members of a primitive, pre-warp culture
Viceroy/Troi Rape Scene
Picard Taking On an Entire Ship and Winning
The Incredible, Yet Slowly Powering Doomsday Weapon
Smashing the Enterprise into the Scimitar
Convoluted And Unnecessary Way In Which Data Dies

Those are the big ones. The movie, for me, is fair to middling. It's not terrible, but it's not something I'll watch very often.
__________________

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Stoo
Captain
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Location: Phobos lab
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

Every time I watch I enjoy Picard and Shinzon's dinner scene. I find myself wishing that Shinzon was genuine, and pursuing good relations with the Federation. And it makes me wonder what, more complex, directions the story could have gone in instead of an angry rampage of revenge on earth\Picard.

The battle scene at the end is probably the best of the TNG movies, also.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 12:34 PM   #13
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander
 
GameOn's Avatar
 
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

It's a poor movie and a crappy way to end TNG but I think it gets more hate than it deserves. I think Generations and Insurrection are worse and the movie was doomed from the start no matter how it turned out due to the over saturation of Star Trek on TV.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:17 PM   #14
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

Other than the terrible wedding stuff at the start, I loved Nemesis. I thought Shinzon was believable as a damaged younger version of Picard, the action sequences were fun and it was great to see the TNG crew one last time.

It was Nemesis and the Xindi story in Enterprise that got me back into Trek.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Makarov
Captain
 
Re: NEMESIS: the good, and not so bad.

As much as I like Tom Hardy it would have been a much more fun movie if Patrick Stewart played Shinzon as well as Picard. I agree that the plot could have been much more interesting if Shinzon/Picard actually worked together. It's a problem for me that Shinzon neither looks nor acts like Picard.

Now take a look at Looper for a movie with two different actors's playing the same person, I find it much better - even with Joseph Gordon Levitt's strange face. Imagine if they just shaved JGL's head and said, it's young bruce willis! That would suck, and that's what they did here.

The line that's like "our hearts are the same" bugs me. You've got an artificial heart Picard.

I like it better than Generations but less than the rest of the movies. I find Insurrection far better.

Last edited by Makarov; October 16 2013 at 01:53 PM.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.