TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 12 2013, 04:52 PM   #196
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Renegades

Well I guess something has to give. Everything else looks very well done, I just can't stand the Starfleet costumes. Ah well, mileage varies, and I'm sure others will love them.

I hate to criticise, I really do, and I know this stuff's harder than it looks. So I'll just shut up.
Old October 12 2013, 11:12 PM   #197
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I personally thought the costuming was the weak point of "Of Gods and Men," too. Still, Chekhov's looks okay, though I'm not over-fond of Tuvok's.

Doesn't matter, I'm looking forward to the show.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 08:14 AM   #198
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Tuvok's outfit looks like maternity wear. It's not designed correctly for a typical male physique, which makes it look bad.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 06:44 PM   #199
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
Tuvok's outfit looks like maternity wear. It's not designed correctly for a typical male physique, which makes it look bad.
Agreed. All of the costumes look hideous.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:18 AM   #200
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Honestly, the StarFleet uniforms look rather untailored, but they also kinda look designed that way. The overall look is fine. At least they don't look extremely uncomfortable the TNG uniforms did (and evidently were). DS9 was a major step up, save that the rank insignia still seemed stupid to me. Tiny pips visible from exactly one angle, easy to miss-count at quite a small distance and very easy to hide by someone turning their head!

The other photos look tres cool, though!
Old October 15 2013, 03:00 AM   #201
Tom
Rear Admiral

I can understand the mixed feelings on the uniforms, that may have needed a little more development. Everything else has been spot on. I think you guys will love what is being shot vs. some set pictures you have seen. Many times I was sitting behind Tim viewing the directors monitor and the scenes looked incredible.

Here is a funny behind the scenes video with Bruce Young who plays Borrada, what is cool about this is that you can see how some of the scenes look as shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vp-f...ature=youtu.be

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 03:14 AM   #202
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Interesting video. Again the makeup looks great.
Old October 15 2013, 05:12 AM   #203
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Fascinating. The makeup is definitely a cut above what we've seen on non-TV/movie productions thus far.

I'm struggling with how to characterize Renegades, Phase II et al because "fan film" and "amateur film" just don't cut it anymore. These are much more than "fan films" and definitely not amateur. Niggling problems like the uniforms aside, these are semi-professional (professional?) (indie?) -quality productions.
Old October 15 2013, 05:30 AM   #204
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

They're still fan films because they're made by fans and it shows (I'm looking at you, scripts).
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:36 AM   #205
F. King Daniel
Admiral

This and OGaM are like glimpses into an alternate universe where SyFy got the rights to make Star Trek movies.
Old October 15 2013, 03:56 PM   #206
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Given the quality of most such projects on SyFy, I'd avoid those comparisons.

And I'd hate to think that the quality of writing makes these productions fan films. After watching DRAGON WASPS on SyFy only last week, there are several fan films which stand above that level of original production.

To me, if 50% of the folks are paid professionals, then it's not a fan film, no matter how good or bad it is.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 02:36 AM   #207
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

My definition of fan film is simple: it's a film made without copyright authorization or a film made in tribute to a film or franchise. For example, J.J.Abrams's two "Star Trek" movies are "Star Wars" fan films. I could give many details, but to give just one example, the level on which the cities were based on Star Wars cities boggled my mind. Yes, it was made by professionals. It had pro actors and CGI people who were paid. It had a ginormous budget. Heck, it even pretended to be part of another franchise. But for me, it was a big budget Star Wars fan film. The Clone Wars Strike Back!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 02:37 AM   #208
PattyW
Commander

Send a message via AIM to PattyW

forget proper fitting....I'd settle for properly sewn. Even Wal-Mart would throw away stuff with seams puckered and mis-sewn. And, yeah, badly fitted uniforms will take everyone out of the "professional" claim of any production. Great acting just can't overcome bad costuming. What a shame....
Old October 16 2013, 03:59 AM   #209
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

Barbreader wrote: View Post
My definition of fan film is simple: it's a film made without copyright authorization or a film made in tribute to a film or franchise. For example, J.J.Abrams's two "Star Trek" movies are "Star Wars" fan films. I could give many details, but to give just one example, the level on which the cities were based on Star Wars cities boggled my mind. Yes, it was made by professionals. It had pro actors and CGI people who were paid. It had a ginormous budget. Heck, it even pretended to be part of another franchise. But for me, it was a big budget Star Wars fan film. The Clone Wars Strike Back!
This usn't just a fan film though is it? It's meant to be a backdoor pilot, just made through kickstarter rather than a studio.

I have to agree with some of the others. The uniforms are awful, as are the Starfleet sets. In contrast the make up efforts look skilled and impressive.

I do appreciate that it's difficult on a tight budget, but frankly some of the other fan efforts have done a lot better with their own designs. If this is meant to show something that they think can make a show work then really it needs to look passable in all aspects.

Having said that, let's face it that Russ & Co are deluding themselves somewhat if they think this will ever become a series. If CBS doesn't want to revisit the prime universe at present, then they certainly aren't going to be up for a show full of aging Voyager actors.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:42 AM   #210
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

For all we know, those glimpses we saw of plain-looking sets may just be the beginning. I would be willing to bet that after lighting and CGI effects are applied they may look quite different. Why don't we step back a second and let's see what develops, hm?