RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,529
Posts: 5,512,579
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 571
Newest member: Bazzzz85

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 15 2013, 02:12 AM   #16
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
^ Again, irrelevant. Evil is evil; reasons don't matter.
Of course, do you realize that refusing to see the world in anything but an utterly uncompromising view of black-vs-white, us-vs-them, makes you evil, right?
No, I don't think so.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But a decent tyrant is still decent. If you had a choice between a Hitler who was not going to exterminate the Jews, and the Hitler we got, wouldn't you opt for the moderate one?
The very concept of a 'decent tyrant' is a contradiction.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:43 AM   #17
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
^ Again, irrelevant. Evil is evil; reasons don't matter.
Of course, do you realize that refusing to see the world in anything but an utterly uncompromising view of black-vs-white, us-vs-them, makes you evil, right?
No, I don't think so.
Well, that's kinda the point I was making, right? Evil people never think they are.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Jarvisimo
Commander
 
Jarvisimo's Avatar
 
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But a decent tyrant is still decent. If you had a choice between a Hitler who was not going to exterminate the Jews, and the Hitler we got, wouldn't you opt for the moderate one?
The very concept of a 'decent tyrant' is a contradiction.
Name me a leader from history before the rise of democracy. They are all 'tyrants' to one extent or another, a leader who controlled their power base through the sometimes ruthless destruction of opponents: lauded national heroes like Elizabeth I of England, Louis XIV of France, Qin Shi Huang who united China, Salahadin who fought the crusaders, Richard Lionheart who retook Jerusalem, Louis IX of France and its most celebrated ruler, William the Conqueror of England, Henry V of England, etc.... Each did things morally objectionable, but equally each were 'decent tyrants', who brought prosperity, success or purpose to nations and empires in distress.
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Can we discuss the rest of the comic now?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:20 AM   #20
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Of course, do you realize that refusing to see the world in anything but an utterly uncompromising view of black-vs-white, us-vs-them, makes you evil, right?
No, I don't think so.
Well, that's kinda the point I was making, right? Evil people never think they are.
Well, the moment I start massacring innocent people because they're not genetically perfect, then you can call me evil.

That being said: I hope at least that we're all in agreement that Khan's actions, while some of them may be explainable (i.e. doing what he did to save his crew), that doesn't make them justified. Explanation is not justification.

Right?
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:26 AM   #21
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
No, I don't think so.
Well, that's kinda the point I was making, right? Evil people never think they are.
Well, the moment I start massacring innocent people because they're not genetically perfect, then you can call me evil.

That being said: I hope at least that we're all in agreement that Khan's actions, while some of them may be explainable (i.e. doing what he did to save his crew), that doesn't make them justified. Explanation is not justification.

Right?
Of course. I never intended it differently.

(On the other hand, I saw you butchering the rules of fashion with unthinking abandon. That's evil enough for me! )
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 02:40 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Like I said, I was never talking about whether I approved of Khan's actions. I was just concerned about whether he'd be an interestingly written character.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant
 
Smoked Salmon's Avatar
 
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

I see the preview just released alludes to a change in appearance from Montalban to Cumberbatch. Well at least they are trying to grovel back to the fans some way. It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor. At least they are trying to offer some sort of half arsed explanation for the casting choice.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:23 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor.
You mean like Sherlock Holmes?

If a role is iconic, then it's very likely to end up being played by multiple different actors, often of very different types. Heck, different actors have been playing the same role since the dawn of theater. How many thousands of Antigones or Hamlets or Cyranos have there been? And how is it unfair to an actor to expect them to act?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:55 AM   #25
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
I see the preview just released alludes to a change in appearance from Montalban to Cumberbatch. Well at least they are trying to grovel back to the fans some way. It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor. At least they are trying to offer some sort of half arsed explanation for the casting choice.
I don't know if I'd call it alluding.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:04 AM   #26
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain
 
ProwlAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Florrum
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Another Khan-centric series, what next, the final mission of the NCC-1701 before refit or another what really happened to the Defiant. Or how about another take on the Mirror Universe that is completely different from everything else that was established.

There are so many other good stories that need to be told, finished,and or elaborated on.
__________________
"As my sweet mother always said, 'son, if one hostage is good, two are better, and three, well, that's just good business!'"
ProwlAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:14 AM   #27
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

This is only the second Khan back story we've gotten.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:28 AM   #28
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain
 
ProwlAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Florrum
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Yes, but we got a number of Khan books, and other Khan-centric stories is what i am getting at.
__________________
"As my sweet mother always said, 'son, if one hostage is good, two are better, and three, well, that's just good business!'"
ProwlAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:35 AM   #29
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant
 
Smoked Salmon's Avatar
 
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor.
You mean like Sherlock Holmes?

If a role is iconic, then it's very likely to end up being played by multiple different actors, often of very different types. Heck, different actors have been playing the same role since the dawn of theater. How many thousands of Antigones or Hamlets or Cyranos have there been? And how is it unfair to an actor to expect them to act?
Sherlock Holmes was a literary character open to interpretation and adaption. Khan was as much a visual and performance based characterisation as he was written one.

TWOK has not been surpassed by STIF in terms of acclaim and the fact is that Cumberbatch was very much having to step into a role where he would automatically be compared to an iconic performance. That is different to an interpretation of Holmes. He was always destined to have a hard time breaking away from that and the attempts to do so have reduced him Khan to something of a largely unfamiliar bad guy who just happens to share the name. I wouldn't be the first person to suggest that had he remained John Harrison it would've made little difference to STID. Therefore I think having him carry the burden of the Khan name was a disservice to Benedict. He should've been able to create his own bad guy from scratch (in terms of performance).
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:40 AM   #30
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
Yes, but we got a number of Khan books, and other Khan-centric stories is what i am getting at.
Surely IDW have a right to pursue tie-ins to the current movie, the biggest money-earning Trek movie to date?

"Countdown", "Nero" and "Spock Reflections" all sold well, AFAIK. Possibly better than the "Ongoing" series. Many of us have been anticipating that there'd be a "Countdown to Darkness" and a "Khan" backstory mini-series. And so there should be.

IDW's previous "Khan" comic was a retelling of ST II, filling a comic adaptation gap that has been there since the 80s.

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be the first person to suggest that had he remained John Harrison it would've made little difference to STID.
This board would have been filled with angry comments such as, "Orci & Kurtzman are gutless. How much cooler would this film had been if they'd allowed Cumberbatch to tackle... Khan?"

You know it would have happened!
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.