RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,654
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 581
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 15 2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Is TAS worth watching?

Another yes, absolutely, but with the understanding that some episodes are basically very bad 70s children's cartoons. BUT some episodes are indeed worthy of being "real" Star Trek episodes. And as far as I'm concerned, "Yesteryear" is as good as any live action ep, and equally essential to the canon.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 09:59 PM   #17
HGN2001
Commander

If the OP is talking about some dubbed language version, then perhaps it is not worth viewing. One of the reasons to view TAS is to hear the original actors playing reading their lines. THAT's what makes it special.

If you're only going to hear foreign dubbing, then it loses an awful lot. Stick with the English version and the real actors.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:16 PM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

mb22 wrote: View Post
It technically isn't canon, so if you miss it, you miss nothing
That's been debated more than a hundred times over...
ST'09 puts a neat temporal twist on "Yesteryear" where Sarek tells young Spock the exact same thing that "Sellek" tells young Spock in TAS. That's definitely a neat extra layer you miss out on if you haven't seen TAS.

That, and many other references in DS9 and ENT.
Old October 15 2013, 10:47 PM   #19
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

IMHO, it's a novelty. It's like most 1970s cartoons - dated and pretty awful, unless you where a kid in the 70s and thus can enjoy them via nostalgia.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:51 PM   #20
Trevacious
Captain

Aside from one gigantic WTF?!? moment over the Guardian Of Forever's new voice - I take it neither James Doohan or the director of this episode ever watched the original story - I'd definitely recommend seeing Yesteryear!
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:53 PM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

I can give it something of a pass. When you read the Alan Dean Foster adaptations you realize quite a few of the TAS episodes could have been pretty decent live-action stories.
Old October 16 2013, 05:21 AM   #22
Maurice
Vice Admiral

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Simple question, is TAS worth watching?
The animation is not that great by today's standards.
It wasn't great by the standards of its time, either. Then, TV animation is cheaper to produce now than then due to digital technology, so it's rather an apples and avocados comparison.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:39 AM   #23
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

BigJake wrote: View Post
FreddyE wrote: View Post
I´m thinking about getting the DVD set, so what is TAS originally like?
They're like shortened episodes of TOS done in really cheap animation with three members of the original cast impersonating everybody's voices.
There were a lot more than three of them. Only Walter Koenig wasn't included.

Shatnertage wrote: View Post
A thousand times, yes! Even if only to see how many voices James Doohan and Majel Roddenberry do. If you're on the fence, start with "Yesteryear."
Yesteryear would have made a wonderful live action episode, where we get to see Spock's childhood home and his "fat teddy bear" he had as a pet.

There were some other good stories, too - Slaver Weapon and Albatross come to mind (the latter is one where McCoy is arrested and charged with genocide).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 07:03 AM   #24
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
There were a lot more than three of them. Only Walter Koenig wasn't included.
My bad. It was guest stars and peripheral characters who were usually voiced by a couple of members of the original cast -- not the entire series.
Old October 16 2013, 07:21 AM   #25
drt
Commander

There are a couple of clunkers, but most of the episodes have reasonably good stories and concepts.

However, I think a lot of people have a hard time looking past Filmation's animation (which isn't very good because of the numerous tricks used to reduce cost - as they were one of the last animation houses at the time that still produced all of their content in the USA), plus, the voice direction leaves a little to be desired (likely also done on the cheap, and being a voice actor requies a little different skill set, so actually using the original TV actors probably ended up hurting them a bit in this regard).
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:23 PM   #26
Robert Comsol
Commodore

HGN2001 wrote: View Post
If the OP is talking about some dubbed language version, then perhaps it is not worth viewing. One of the reasons to view TAS is to hear the original actors playing reading their lines. THAT's what makes it special.
Agreed. The OP was referring to the German dubbed version and it's terrible because of the lame and silly jokes.

As for TOS the German dubbing director took some artistic license ("The Persuaders" were a big hit in Germany because of the funny dubbing) making a few episodes like "That Which Survives" very entertaining but not silly.

For TAS it appears someone tried to copy that dubbing style and failed terribly. It didn't even feature the voices of the original dubbing cast until TMP came along.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:19 PM   #27
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

drt wrote: View Post
...the voice direction leaves a little to be desired (likely also done on the cheap, and being a voice actor requies a little different skill set, so actually using the original TV actors probably ended up hurting them a bit in this regard).
I'm certain I've read that much of the dialogue was almost literally phoned in, with the actors recording their lines in disparate studios depending on work commitments - providing no opportunity to play off each other.

I think this accounts for some slightly odd performances sometimes - as opposed to specific skill sets.
Old October 16 2013, 08:29 PM   #28
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Eh...the animation by Filmation...ehhh...well Its like this. I very much enjoyed the animated series from story stand points. I bought the DVD set for $15 on sale at walmart and I dont regret it. If you can get passed the animation im sure its worth buying...ok if you like He-man and She-ra you'll like it. (Also by Filmation)
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Maurice
Vice Admiral

There's an old saying in animation circles that "Filmation animation is an oxymoron."

(Don't blame the artists, they did the best they could with the limits they were given.)
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:31 PM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I only watched through TAS and for the most part it was a chore. It's just... boring.. to me. There were a couple good episodes though. I'd say give it a try if it's the only bit of Trek you haven't watched. In the end, you should form your own opinions rather than let everyone else define yours.