RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,690
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 513
Newest member: ncc1500

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 15 2013, 07:39 AM   #1
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

'Up the Long Ladder': no one ever mentions this...

Everyone always goes on about racist/stereotyped Irish presentations, sketchy genetic science, etc. However, the thing this episode always reminds me of is a passing remark by Riker.

I haven't seen the episode in years, so I'm paraphrasing the scene, but in the cargo bay, which was full of goats, hay, etc., Riker said something to the effect of, "Don't worry about it, the ship cleans itself."

This was, to my knowledge, never brought up again. Which is probably just as well. With transporter technology and such, the idea seems at least somewhat conceivable. But how would that work? How does the ship (i.e. computer) distinguish between "junk" and "stuff"? What's to keep Geordi's under-construction model of the HMS Victory from being dissolved away, for example?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: 'Up the Long Ladder': no one ever mentions this...

I think it refers to things like spilled water or liquids, dirt in the carpet, scuffs on screens, etc. It doesn't pick up your clothes as Jenna D'Sora found out.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 07:48 AM   #3
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Oh, ok, that makes more sense when you put it that way.
Old October 15 2013, 08:04 AM   #4
FreddyE
Commander

Hmm...so I guess parents can´t just say "Put your toys away or the ship will dematerialise them" ;-)
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Melakon
Vice Admiral

But they could say, "Put your toys away, or next time I pick them up I'll put them in the replicator for recycling."
Old October 15 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

"Next time you wet your bed little boy, the ship will dematerialize you. Think about it."
Old October 15 2013, 08:58 AM   #7
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
"Next time you wet your bed little boy, the ship will dematerialize you. Think about it."
Sounds like The Star Trek Afternoon Special
Old October 15 2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Tiberius
Commodore

"Yes, Billy, the computer was once a little girl who didn't put her toys away before dinner, and now she's stuck inside there forever!"
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 06:01 PM   #9
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Picard laughing at the absurdity of the Bringloidi, is that the first time we see that side of his personality? I hardly remember him even smiling in the first two seasons.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Everyone always goes on about racist/stereotyped Irish presentations, sketchy genetic science, etc. However, the thing this episode always reminds me of is a passing remark by Riker.

I haven't seen the episode in years, so I'm paraphrasing the scene, but in the cargo bay, which was full of goats, hay, etc., Riker said something to the effect of, "Don't worry about it, the ship cleans itself."

This was, to my knowledge, never brought up again. Which is probably just as well. With transporter technology and such, the idea seems at least somewhat conceivable. But how would that work? How does the ship (i.e. computer) distinguish between "junk" and "stuff"? What's to keep Geordi's under-construction model of the HMS Victory from being dissolved away, for example?
Riker is an elitist asshole The ship has a team of under-employed janitors who go around cleaning the ship every night that Riker just assumes don't exist.

Picard laughing at the absurdity of the Bringloidi, is that the first time we see that side of his personality? I hardly remember him even smiling in the first two seasons.
Yeah, that was a nice moment from him and, you're right, I think the first time we see Picard's guard fall and we see him shine out.
Old October 15 2013, 08:35 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well I can jump on Riker for a lot of things, but calling him elitist because of the ship's handwave cleaning system isn't one of them. If you want to jump on something he did this episode how about phasering a couple of fully developed clones.
Old October 15 2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Melakon
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Picard was remembering the days when Patrick Stewart was some hick rube in Yorkshire.
Old October 15 2013, 09:06 PM   #13
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

OOPS!!

Stupid me, waking up too early and trying to do my posts before work: halfway to work, it occurred to me that I mis-typed my above post. That should read The Star Trek After School Special. In my careless haste I ruined my own joke..
Old October 15 2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Melakon
Vice Admiral

^ LMFAO @ schwarz
Old October 15 2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
OOPS!!

Stupid me, waking up too early and trying to do my posts before work: halfway to work, it occurred to me that I mis-typed my above post. That should read The Star Trek After School Special. In my careless haste I ruined my own joke..
Funny, I didn't even notice. In my reading haste, I read "The Star Trek After School Special."