Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 14 2013, 06:06 PM   #16
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: Orci Meets with CBS About New Series

LtChange wrote: View Post
I would not settle for an animated series. Why should I? CBS will not risk an animated series about Star Trek with adult focus so automatically means that it will be an animated series for kids and I will be extremely annoyed by a huge number of creative choices that will be kids centric … I’m sorry but an animated series cannot live without focusing on kids, and I am a grown up and I don’t care to see kids show …
Just cause it's animated doesn't mean it has to automatically aim for the kiddie market or be dumbed down.
Old October 14 2013, 09:24 PM   #17
LtChange
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Spongebob Squarepants is a "kids" show but the storytelling is actually more mature than most live-action TV shows.
Be my guest and watch Spongebob. I never ever cared for that show and will ever ... But I'm not judging you for that honestly, but the fact is that many grown ups will not watch an animated show and it will not have the success for a long life ...

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Just cause it's animated doesn't mean it has to automatically aim for the kiddie market or be dumbed down.
Tell me one movie/franchise tie in cartoon that it isn't or it wasn't dumbed down. Please. Just one. Tell me a sci-fi cartoon with starships or so on on CBS or any of it's affiliates that it isn't targeted at kids. I can't. It might be because I'm not watching enough cartoons maybe. I just don't want that the next Star Trek TV show to be a cartoon, I'm 100% sure it will be for kids and dumbed down. If it is indeed a cartoon I hope I'm not right but this is how I feel. And the worst of it? It will not be carried as cartoon in prime time anywhere in the world so international licenses are off for prime time licenses. But honestly I really don't think it will be a prime time show in USA neither ... And anyhow just look what other studios are doing with their cartoon tie in lines for other movies. Just canceling mid stories, relaunching in different formats etc etc. Cartoons (with very few exceptions and not by big networks) are treated like second tier programming without any real respect for the viewers and without any serious audience building and I'm sorry to say I don't see this changing because the Star Trek name. And I don't want the 50th anniversary of Star Trek to be celebrated with some cartoon. Star Trek is much much much more valuable than that.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 09:56 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LtChange wrote: View Post

Be my guest and watch Spongebob. I never ever cared for that show and will ever ... But I'm not judging you for that honestly, but the fact is that many grown ups will not watch an animated show and it will not have the success for a long life ...
The Clone Wars ran for five seasons and it wasn't eight-year olds who bought up all the DVD's and Blu-ray's.

Thing is, if you don't figure out a way to draw those kids in, Trek will wither and die as those of us who are fans grow old and pass away. Making a super-serious series solely targeted at adults is the surest way of killing Trek for good.
Old October 14 2013, 10:46 PM   #19
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

It's the stories that count, not the medium. That said, a super dumbed down kiddie show would still be a step up from VOY and ENT.
Old October 15 2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Use of Time
Commodore

I would prefer live action. I like to see actors...act. CBS is not going to put out an animated show in primetime on their flagship station.
Old October 15 2013, 01:33 AM   #21
SeerSGB
Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I would prefer live action. I like to see actors...act. CBS is not going to put out an animated show in primetime on their flagship station.
I doubt we'll see Trek on CBS's flagship anyway. Likely be Sci-Fi or Showtime before they stick on CBS primetime.
Old October 15 2013, 01:46 AM   #22
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Use of Time wrote: View Post
CBS is not going to put Star Trek on their flagship station period. If it's live action CBS will air it on CW, Showtime, or sell the show to someone else(TNT). If it's animated then CBS will let Cartoon Network and Disney XD fight for it.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 05:40 AM   #23
LtChange
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Clone Wars ran for five seasons and it wasn't eight-year olds who bought up all the DVD's and Blu-ray's.

Thing is, if you don't figure out a way to draw those kids in, Trek will wither and die as those of us who are fans grow old and pass away. Making a super-serious series solely targeted at adults is the surest way of killing Trek for good.
You sure just said the name that put me most worried. It is true, I have watched Clone Wars until somewhere middle of Season 4 than gave up. I just couldn't take it anymore. True, there were some excellent episodes, but half or even more per season were mostly episodes about R2D2, some clones fooling around, Amidalas adventures with ultra damned down stories that were a pain to watch. And this is what I'm fearing about from Star Trek being a cartoon.

And I'm not wanting a super serious approach at all, I just don't want a dumbed down cartoon. You think it's okay to do a kids cartoon ignoring the millions of grown up fans? They should do a live action TV series and a marketing for the kids too. TNG wasn't dumbed down, it was a good TV show (20 years after TOS so fans where aging too than), still it had been a great success and appealed to kids without being animation. You just have to find a way to make kids aver too, the rest will come (I know it came too me, I become a TNG and Star Trek fan when I was 10)
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 07:25 PM   #24
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I'll never really understand why fans worry so much about demographics. So what if kids are or are not interested? As you say, you'll die and the kids will move on to something that does interest them.

Maybe instead of worrying about what's in the best interest for Paramount, CBS, or whatever entity stands to make a profit, people should just be interested in what they're interested in.

That said, I'd be interested in a Star Trek show that appeals to adults. An animated show could be that, but it's likely to skew more towards kids.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 07:56 PM   #25
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I wasn't suggesting animation as a way to appeal specifically to kids. Visually, animation would allow for more freedom to do more imaginative stories with Kirk and Spock on some really alien worlds. To do another live action Kirk and Spock on TV while they're also on the big screen would be a mistake, IMO, and to do yet another live action spinoff with yet another ship, yet another captain, and yet another crew no one cares about except a few hardcore fans who'll watch anything with "Star Trek" in the title would be a monumental blunder.
Old October 15 2013, 08:25 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I'll never really understand why fans worry so much about demographics. So what if kids are or are not interested? As you say, you'll die and the kids will move on to something that does interest them.
I don't know about you but most people I know were introduced to Star Trek as children in the 70's. Too completely ignore that demographic is pretty silly.

Maybe instead of worrying about what's in the best interest for Paramount, CBS, or whatever entity stands to make a profit, people should just be interested in what they're interested in.
I'm interested in Star Trek and I'm interested in sports/entertainment business. So I do like to examine the business side and try to predict what may or may not succeed.

That said, I'd be interested in a Star Trek show that appeals to adults. An animated show could be that, but it's likely to skew more towards kids.
I've seen many animated shows that were supposedly skewed towards "kids" that are very adult. I have no issue at all with an animated Star Trek.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I wasn't suggesting animation as a way to appeal specifically to kids. Visually, animation would allow for more freedom to do more imaginative stories with Kirk and Spock on some really alien worlds.
And animation would be far cheaper.

To do another live action Kirk and Spock on TV while they're also on the big screen would be a mistake, IMO, and to do yet another live action spinoff with yet another ship, yet another captain, and yet another crew no one cares about except a few hardcore fans who'll watch anything with "Star Trek" in the title would be a monumental blunder.
It would likely drive a stake through the franchise for good.