Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 13 2013, 06:24 AM   #931
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

I'm surprised more people don't bring up the plane crash when talking about Walt's guilt. I don't think it's fair to put that one on him, but he certainly felt guilt over it.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 06:27 AM   #932
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm surprised more people don't bring up the plane crash when talking about Walt's guilt. I don't think it's fair to put that one on him, but he certainly felt guilt over it.
I have tried to forget about that insanely stupid plotline.
Old October 13 2013, 08:59 PM   #933
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Meanwhile, somewhere in a motel room...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 07:57 AM   #934
Borgminister

Nah. Insulin injection or Wendy's run.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 01:58 PM   #935
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Contrasting Oliver Stone's opinion. His "Nixon" Anthony Hopkins praises the finale

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ing-bad-648242

Dear Mister Cranston.
I wanted to write you this email – so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber – I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.
I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “BREAKING BAD” – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.
I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!
Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.
I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.
But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers…. every department – casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.
Just the thought of Anthony Hopkins marathoning a show on the couch has me LOLing.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:21 PM   #936
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Wow...if this is for real then it is high praise indeed.

And...oh NO! Britney Spears was "displeased" with the ending along with Stone - that's worth at least 5 Hopkins letters, right? Right???
Old October 15 2013, 06:19 PM   #937
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think the fact that a vast majority of its fans thought the ending was awesome easily trumps a few dissenting celebrity voices making glorified forum comments in front of a megaphone.

I would also say one of the signs of a truly good show is when the last season had significantly higher ratings than the first season. Breaking Bad's fourth season ended with 1.9 million viewers, which was considered a big success. The last run was consistently over five million and the finale broke ten million. That kind of late series boost is unheard of in television and only happens when a show has insanely good word of mouth.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 06:53 PM   #938
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I think the fact that a vast majority of its fans thought the ending was awesome easily trumps a few dissenting celebrity voices making glorified forum comments in front of a megaphone.
Only if it's a popularity contest, which it isn't.

I would also say one of the signs of a truly good show is when the last season had significantly higher ratings than the first season. Breaking Bad's fourth season ended with 1.9 million viewers, which was considered a big success. The last run was consistently over five million and the finale broke ten million. That kind of late series boost is unheard of in television and only happens when a show has insanely good word of mouth.
Let's not correlate quality with the size of the audience, otherwise the Transformers films represent high-quality cinema.

I think BB was a great show with a good ending, and that ending could have been better if they'd had the strength of conviction to play it honestly.
Old October 15 2013, 07:11 PM   #939
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

You can't please everyone!
Old October 15 2013, 09:35 PM   #940
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I'm not equating popularity with quality, I'm correlating audience retention and expansion with the amount the fans enjoy the show. Like, I would say a show that has 30 million viewers in the first episode and 15 million in the last episode pleased its audience a lot less than one that has 1 million in the first and 10 million in the last. Which is not a direct relationship to quality but certainly is a pretty strong indicator of such.

I think the ending was honest for the show. It played out using the same logic as the rest of the show. The Nazis winning and making away with all of Walt's money certainly would not have been more 'Honest' than the ending we got. Being true to the characters and being realistic are two different things, and the ending was very true to the characters. If Breaking Bad was going to be realistic it would have needed to make that decision a lot earlier than the final episode.

And as I've mentioned, Oliver Stone, the director of JFK, is not in the position to be criticizing anybody for injecting fantasy into violence. His criticism is an unprofessional attempt to make his personal preference for more realistic violence into an objective value judgment.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:39 PM   #941
stj
Rear Admiral

I don't think the ending was true to the characters. For one thing, Jack's sudden desire to display Jesse in chains was absurd. For another, a mjor one, Walt's whole career was because he couldn't face dying, so he had to control as much as possible. The whole last episode climaxed with Walt serenely giving up control to Jesse. We could accept this because we could believe Jesse's actions, but that shouldn't make up overlook how far-fetched Walt's action was.

Nor did it flow somehow from the characters. The idea that the outcome of a story is the inevitable expression of character is more of an ideological precept that only individuals are responsible. The actual final ending of Breaking Bad was actually quite illogical and can only be reasonably viewed as an imposition by the writers, who wanted Walt to win. It takes a script to shoot all the Nazis but Todd. I think Vince Gilligan deceived himself into thinking Walt didn't win big.

PS These are not just dead issues about a series that has been finished. The antihero craze is still with us. The Blacklist, for instance, is very much influenced by the popularity of Walter White and Gus Fring.

Last edited by stj; October 16 2013 at 08:58 PM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 09:18 PM   #942
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

stj wrote: View Post
I don't think the ending was true to the characters. For one thing, Jack's sudden desire to display Jesse in chains was absurd.
Initially I thought this was a bit weird too, but in subsequent viewings it seemed to fit with Jack's general contempt for Jesse. In particular, recall the scene where Jack and his boys view Jesse's confession and become so incensed by Jesse's perceived "cowardice" (and mentioning Todd's name), that Jack decides to kill Jesse because of it. By Felina, it is easy for me to see that calling Jesse "Jack's partner", would have been a major insult -- one that, I think, justified Jack's extreme response.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 02:17 AM   #943
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Face it. We all want to run a meth lab in our basement. We can make beer there why not Meth.*

* I do not condone the practise of making meth.
Old October 17 2013, 05:05 PM   #944
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I stumbled across this lengthy interview between Charlie Brooker and Vince Gilligan the other day. It's from August so there's no finale talk, but I thought the Charlie Brooker/Breaking Bad fans out there might like to see it.

Old October 18 2013, 12:36 AM   #945
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Let us play a game. Walt isn't dead. They bring him back to life in the ambulance. What happens next....