MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: vote
I prefer the Wrath of Khan 110 72.85%
I Prefer Into Darkness 17 11.26%
I like them both the same 24 15.89%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14 2013, 03:24 AM   #16
austen_pierce
Captain

Re: T.W.O.K vs STID

TWOK, for all the above, and specifically the Ceti eels brought an eerie, creepy factor that STID lacks.
Old October 14 2013, 03:43 AM   #17
Gojira
Commodore

I do like them both pretty equally. I give the slight edge to StiD which has much more action and adventure than TWOK.
Old October 14 2013, 03:52 AM   #18
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

I suppose that TWOK was my favorite of the two though l enjoyed ID a lot. I just felt like Khan didn't play much of a pivotal role in ID as he maybe should have. In TWOK there was also a personal history between Kirk and Khan (though I hadn't seen Space Seed at the time I first saw TWOK) that didn't exist in ID- for obvious reasons (i.e. it wasn't Kirk who initially encountered Khan as in the Prime universe). ID's take on Khan actually- for a short while- made him somewhat sympathetic- being upset (and who wouldn't be?) that Marcus had killed his "family" and I kind of liked Kirk and Khan teaming up with each other (briefly) to go after Marcus. That was a neat twist that I hadn't seen coming- but then as soon as they got the drop on Marcus, Khan went back to being "pure evil" (Kirk was smart enough to realize that he would turn on them but misjudged his ability to keep him down with a phaser stun). I'm somewhat glad that they didn't kill Khan at the end and left open the *possibility* that he may return in a future movie (though hopefully not the next one) as I feel like we got as much of him as we deserved to get. BD did a great job with the role IMHO.
Old October 14 2013, 04:34 AM   #19
maneth
Captain

STID. But that's mainly because I utterly detest Montalban's Khan. He's so slimy and sleazy and disgusting, the kind of guy I'd rather throw out the nearest airlock. I much, much, much prefer the ice cold Harrison. That said, I think the movie wouldn't have suffered at all if Harrison had been Harrison, simply another augment gone awry, rather than the remake of a legend. I admit Khan is a legend, even if he profoundly disgusts me.
Old October 14 2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Stoo
Captain

WoK has more substance to it, with the subplot of Kirk dealing with his aging. And the battle in the mutara nebula still stands up after 30 years. The pacing actually isn't great, it gets off to a really slow start. But it remains a more important film than STID (which was still a lot of fun).
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 06:33 PM   #21
22 Stars
Commodore

TWOK for sure. If I wanted to hear all those lines again, I would put in the Bluray. As it was we had to wait 4 years to see same things play out with less emotional impact and more snickering in the audience.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 11:42 AM   #22
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

I just have to stand by the fact that WOK is really overrated. I enjoy it for what it is. it is full of plot holes that are blatant, which don't necessarily ruin the movie for me. though, I do realize why it is so overhyped. it was the first trek film that really got some things right. it had a menacing(this is debatable) enemy that could put up a fight against the gang everyone had come to love through a television series. had it been released today it would most certainly get ripped to pieces. and I get it, it wasn't. okay. but a film has to stand on its own and cant rely on the past to elevate it. personally, Id place the undiscovered country leagues above wok.

Last edited by ChowdaHead; October 15 2013 at 11:08 PM.
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 12:06 PM   #23
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

TWOK is intelligent storytelling and gripping, powerful drama. STID is thick as pigshit.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 12:12 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

For what it's worth, some fans did rip Wrath of Khan to shreds back in '82, in the pages of the old letterzine, Interstat. Here is a sampling of their vitriol (which, as can be seen in this thread are pretty much the same complaints fans are making against Into Darkness today)
Old October 15 2013, 12:37 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, some fans did rip Wrath of Khan to shreds back in '82, in the pages of the old letterzine, Interstat. Here is a sampling of their vitriol (which, as can be seen in this thread are pretty much the same complaints fans are making against Into Darkness today)
The power of rose-tinted nostalgia glasses at work.
Old October 15 2013, 12:46 PM   #26
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Or... maybe they didn't like the movie and still don't? Has anyone asked them what they think of STiD?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:07 PM   #27
MakeshiftPython
Captain

There will always be fans harsh on every one of these films. No Star Trek film is exceptional.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:47 PM   #28
anh165
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
TWOK is intelligent storytelling and gripping, powerful drama. STID is thick as pigshit.
Why dont you actually watch STiD before you call it pigshit?

TWOK was my favourite Trek movie, it's what really got me into Star Trek and STiD is great in its own right that works in today's standards.
Old October 15 2013, 04:29 PM   #29
BigJake
Rear Admiral

TWOK had its imperfections, mostly small (why is searching for a "lifeless planet" so hard? why does Reliant not have star charts of the Ceti Alpha system that would have told them something had happened? why do they not remember it's where Khan was stranded? etc.) -- but was mostly excellent despite them, with good character arcs, memorable performances, convincingly-sold action that doesn't try to pummel the audience into numbness, and a truly moving death scene for Spock. A moment whose power was mostly leached by the studio's subsequent greed, true, but still in itself a genuinely moving moment even if you hadn't watched the old series. It is really the only Trek film of either the original or TNG franchises that has won, and deserves, real recognition outside of the Trek fanbase.

STiD is in the main a collection of flaws in which a few good elements can be found, wrapped up in state-of-the-art effects. The state-of-the-art effects are what won it recognition outside fandomverse, but really only (I suspect more strongly with each passing month) briefly and for the same reason Charlie's Angels reboots make money: the flash. Flash has a way of fading quickly, and its having faded, it is no surprise that more people are noticing the plot is nonsensical, the action pretty much interchangeable with any other franchise, the character arcs unearned and the setting's universe cartoonified to an extreme degree.

I actually found the attempts to tie in to TWOK less offensive than some people did -- and STiD's share of the backlash ironic given how much the better of the two Abrams films it is -- but still think STiD fans comparing what's happening now to a few grousers in an ancient fanzine are kidding themselves. TWOK will still be remembered and STiD largely forgotten in another twenty years from now for simple reasons of decent filmmaking versus bad/mediocre filmmaking; the real service Abrams rendered was to remind people of the older, better film.
Old October 15 2013, 04:42 PM   #30
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

So, "Those people were wrong but these people saying the exact same things now are right!"

The only differences between now and then is how much easier it is now to complain - anyone can do it from their phone on the couch, rather than having to write a letter, pay for a stamp and walk to the mailbox, and that there is no editor on TBBS vetting the letters so only the most interesting ones are posted/published.

Last edited by King Daniel Into Darkness; October 15 2013 at 04:53 PM.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote