CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 15 2013, 02:12 AM   #16
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Khan - New IDW mini series - SPOILERS!!!!!

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
^ Again, irrelevant. Evil is evil; reasons don't matter.
Of course, do you realize that refusing to see the world in anything but an utterly uncompromising view of black-vs-white, us-vs-them, makes you evil, right?
No, I don't think so.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But a decent tyrant is still decent. If you had a choice between a Hitler who was not going to exterminate the Jews, and the Hitler we got, wouldn't you opt for the moderate one?
The very concept of a 'decent tyrant' is a contradiction.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:43 AM   #17
iguana_tonante
Admiral

^ Again, irrelevant. Evil is evil; reasons don't matter.
Of course, do you realize that refusing to see the world in anything but an utterly uncompromising view of black-vs-white, us-vs-them, makes you evil, right?
No, I don't think so.
Well, that's kinda the point I was making, right? Evil people never think they are.
Old October 15 2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Jarvisimo
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But a decent tyrant is still decent. If you had a choice between a Hitler who was not going to exterminate the Jews, and the Hitler we got, wouldn't you opt for the moderate one?
The very concept of a 'decent tyrant' is a contradiction.
Name me a leader from history before the rise of democracy. They are all 'tyrants' to one extent or another, a leader who controlled their power base through the sometimes ruthless destruction of opponents: lauded national heroes like Elizabeth I of England, Louis XIV of France, Qin Shi Huang who united China, Salahadin who fought the crusaders, Richard Lionheart who retook Jerusalem, Louis IX of France and its most celebrated ruler, William the Conqueror of England, Henry V of England, etc.... Each did things morally objectionable, but equally each were 'decent tyrants', who brought prosperity, success or purpose to nations and empires in distress.
Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, [that] will lead to all men’s happiness. (http://tinyurl.com/cq8ektz)
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Noddy
Captain

Can we discuss the rest of the comic now?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:20 AM   #20
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

No, I don't think so.
Well, that's kinda the point I was making, right? Evil people never think they are.
Well, the moment I start massacring innocent people because they're not genetically perfect, then you can call me evil.

That being said: I hope at least that we're all in agreement that Khan's actions, while some of them may be explainable (i.e. doing what he did to save his crew), that doesn't make them justified. Explanation is not justification.

Right?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:26 AM   #21
iguana_tonante
Admiral

No, I don't think so.
Well, the moment I start massacring innocent people because they're not genetically perfect, then you can call me evil.

That being said: I hope at least that we're all in agreement that Khan's actions, while some of them may be explainable (i.e. doing what he did to save his crew), that doesn't make them justified. Explanation is not justification.

Right?
Of course. I never intended it differently.

(On the other hand, I saw you butchering the rules of fashion with unthinking abandon. That's evil enough for me! )
Old October 16 2013, 02:40 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Like I said, I was never talking about whether I approved of Khan's actions. I was just concerned about whether he'd be an interestingly written character.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:53 AM   #23
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

I see the preview just released alludes to a change in appearance from Montalban to Cumberbatch. Well at least they are trying to grovel back to the fans some way. It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor. At least they are trying to offer some sort of half arsed explanation for the casting choice.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:23 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Smoked Salmon wrote: View Post
It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor.
You mean like Sherlock Holmes?

If a role is iconic, then it's very likely to end up being played by multiple different actors, often of very different types. Heck, different actors have been playing the same role since the dawn of theater. How many thousands of Antigones or Hamlets or Cyranos have there been? And how is it unfair to an actor to expect them to act?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:55 AM   #25
JD
Admiral

I see the preview just released alludes to a change in appearance from Montalban to Cumberbatch. Well at least they are trying to grovel back to the fans some way. It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor. At least they are trying to offer some sort of half arsed explanation for the casting choice.
I don't know if I'd call it alluding.
Old October 16 2013, 06:04 AM   #26
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

Another Khan-centric series, what next, the final mission of the NCC-1701 before refit or another what really happened to the Defiant. Or how about another take on the Mirror Universe that is completely different from everything else that was established.

There are so many other good stories that need to be told, finished,and or elaborated on.
Old October 16 2013, 06:14 AM   #27
JD
Admiral

This is only the second Khan back story we've gotten.
Old October 16 2013, 06:28 AM   #28
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

Yes, but we got a number of Khan books, and other Khan-centric stories is what i am getting at.
Old October 16 2013, 06:35 AM   #29
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
It was never fair to expect an actor like Cumberbatch to try and have to reflect such an iconic character portrayed by such a different type of actor.
You mean like Sherlock Holmes?

If a role is iconic, then it's very likely to end up being played by multiple different actors, often of very different types. Heck, different actors have been playing the same role since the dawn of theater. How many thousands of Antigones or Hamlets or Cyranos have there been? And how is it unfair to an actor to expect them to act?
Sherlock Holmes was a literary character open to interpretation and adaption. Khan was as much a visual and performance based characterisation as he was written one.

TWOK has not been surpassed by STIF in terms of acclaim and the fact is that Cumberbatch was very much having to step into a role where he would automatically be compared to an iconic performance. That is different to an interpretation of Holmes. He was always destined to have a hard time breaking away from that and the attempts to do so have reduced him Khan to something of a largely unfamiliar bad guy who just happens to share the name. I wouldn't be the first person to suggest that had he remained John Harrison it would've made little difference to STID. Therefore I think having him carry the burden of the Khan name was a disservice to Benedict. He should've been able to create his own bad guy from scratch (in terms of performance).
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 06:40 AM   #30
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
Yes, but we got a number of Khan books, and other Khan-centric stories is what i am getting at.
Surely IDW have a right to pursue tie-ins to the current movie, the biggest money-earning Trek movie to date?

"Countdown", "Nero" and "Spock Reflections" all sold well, AFAIK. Possibly better than the "Ongoing" series. Many of us have been anticipating that there'd be a "Countdown to Darkness" and a "Khan" backstory mini-series. And so there should be.

IDW's previous "Khan" comic was a retelling of ST II, filling a comic adaptation gap that has been there since the 80s.

I wouldn't be the first person to suggest that had he remained John Harrison it would've made little difference to STID.
This board would have been filled with angry comments such as, "Orci & Kurtzman are gutless. How much cooler would this film had been if they'd allowed Cumberbatch to tackle... Khan?"

You know it would have happened!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote