RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,230
Posts: 5,405,776
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 581
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: Best Acting Captain
Kira 24 63.16%
Worf 8 21.05%
Jadzia 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 12 2013, 01:34 AM   #1
DavidGutierrez
Lieutenant
 
Location: Texas
When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Who was the best commander of the Defiant in Sisko's absence? I'm not counting Deep Space 9 because Kira was the only other officer who ever commanded it (except for that one time Jadzia died).

Who was the best by way of tactics, diplomacy, sheer badassery? Kira, Worf, or Jadzia?
__________________
For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky...
DavidGutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Along the border of Talarian space
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Kira. She was The Sisko's first officer after all. Granted not much of a diplomat, but the Defiant is a warship and she is by far the toughest fighter on DS9.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Susanna Leijten, U.S.S. Silverfin NCC-4470, Border Service Third Cutter Squadron
Manip by: FltCpt. Bossco (STPMA)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 07:30 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Gonna go with Worf edging out Jadzia barely. I never liked the idea of Kira being in command of the Defiant not being in Starfleet.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Worf really grew up when he moved over to DS9 after TNG had used him as comic relief and the bringer of the "let's kill everything" plan. His commands in DS9 did show the "let's fight" mentality but tempered.

In DS9 and Defiant operations, Kira seemed outmatched, but give her ground operations and she's set.

Jadzia was always a better second banana than a leader.

Worf got my vote.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Jadzia seemed like the most well rounded officer of the three. Lifetimes worth of experiences across multiple disciplines. She has the warrior spirit, scientists curiosity and Curzon's diplomatic experience.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:57 AM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Jadzia seemed like the most well rounded officer of the three. Lifetimes worth of experiences across multiple disciplines. She has the warrior spirit, scientists curiosity and Curzon's diplomatic experience.
And three separate personalities depending on what kind of episode she's in.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 07:47 AM   #7
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Jadzia? Nah. And considering an entire episode is dedicated to Worf being a trigger-happy failure of a captain, Kira wins. Plus, she was a bad-ass on dozens of occasions.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Worf'sParmach
Commander
 
Worf'sParmach's Avatar
 
Location: Plano, TX
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

I'm gonna give it to Worf even though he's somewhat trigger happy (after all, that proved to be a set up anyway). If the question was who is a better Commander of DS9, that would go to Kira. But the only person better on the Defiant's bridge than Sisko is Worf. It's a badass fighting ship, no diplomacy, no exploration, just shoot. That's got Worf's name written all over it.
__________________
Obsessing over every detail in the Star Trek Universe since the 1990s
Check out my fanfic (pretty please ): http://www.fanfiction.net/~ginomo
Worf'sParmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 12:01 AM   #9
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
I'm gonna give it to Worf even though he's somewhat trigger happy (after all, that proved to be a set up anyway). If the question was who is a better Commander of DS9, that would go to Kira. But the only person better on the Defiant's bridge than Sisko is Worf. It's a badass fighting ship, no diplomacy, no exploration, just shoot. That's got Worf's name written all over it.
I totally agree with you.

Sadly, I voted before I read the OP.

I thought the poll was about the DS 9 station, not the Defiant, so I voted for Kira.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 06:40 AM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Along the border of Talarian space
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

But Kira led the successful attack that won the First Battle of Chin'toka, no hesitation, she took command with Worf just sitting there following orders--which I always thinks he does better than give them.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Susanna Leijten, U.S.S. Silverfin NCC-4470, Border Service Third Cutter Squadron
Manip by: FltCpt. Bossco (STPMA)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 07:00 PM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Worf really grew up when he moved over to DS9 after TNG had used him as comic relief and the bringer of the "let's kill everything" plan. His commands in DS9 did show the "let's fight" mentality but tempered.

In DS9 and Defiant operations, Kira seemed outmatched, but give her ground operations and she's set.

Jadzia was always a better second banana than a leader.

Worf got my vote.
I don't think Worf grew up so much in DS9 so much as he was put in more situations where his attitude would cause problems, like in Rules of Engagement. He was still very emotional and easily thrown into rage, his behavior in Sword of Kahless was absurd. If anything he became less Federation-like in his values. He refused to kill Toral because "It is the Klingon way but it is not my way". Then in DS9 he was like "Crap, I should have killed Toral!"
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
Worf really grew up when he moved over to DS9 after TNG had used him as comic relief and the bringer of the "let's kill everything" plan. His commands in DS9 did show the "let's fight" mentality but tempered.

In DS9 and Defiant operations, Kira seemed outmatched, but give her ground operations and she's set.

Jadzia was always a better second banana than a leader.

Worf got my vote.
I don't think Worf grew up so much in DS9 so much as he was put in more situations where his attitude would cause problems, like in Rules of Engagement. He was still very emotional and easily thrown into rage, his behavior in Sword of Kahless was absurd. If anything he became less Federation-like in his values. He refused to kill Toral because "It is the Klingon way but it is not my way". Then in DS9 he was like "Crap, I should have killed Toral!"
To be fair to Worf, I think anyone who spared someone's life only to have them come back and try and kill you later would have "Crap I should've killed them" go through their head at some point.

Beyond that... everyone in that episode went crazy for a hunk of old metal that was supposed to do... something.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 08:42 PM   #13
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

He also acted particularly childish in Hippocratic Oath. Also, I can't think of the name of the episode but he sacrificed intel that could have possibly won the war to save Jadzia.

In general Worf had the same impulses in DS9 that he had in TNG but he was less good at restraining them and making the professional decision than he was in TNG.

Here's a thought. Picard : Worf = Phil Jackson : Dennis Rodman?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 09:46 PM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

But he came a long way from the guy who snarled and growled and had trouble opening doors in seasons 1 and 2 of TNG.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 03:25 AM   #15
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander
 
mickmike's Avatar
 
Location: far beyond the stars
Re: When the Captain's Away: DS9 Version

You know, i always wondered who was left in charge of DS9 when the entire senior staff went off somewhere on the Defiant.

Dax: 'Benjamin, if the entire cast are here who is running the station?'

Sisko: 'No one, i just left the lights and tv on so someone would THINK we are home'
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.