New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 24 2013, 05:02 PM   #976
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

What can I say. I prefer the clean looking blue discs I got over here.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2013, 04:41 AM   #977
otomo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just started the series again after a number of years. Picture quality is astounding, I'm so happy to watch the show like this. The first season (to me) hasn't held up well at all though on a content level. A lot of trying to duplicate the original series, and failing in a lot of respects. I feel like it finally came into its own the last 2 episodes of the season, so I hope my memories of the show hold up for later seasons. I do recall it only gets better. The restoration is so pretty though!
otomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:22 PM   #978
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

Guys sorry this may have been answered already but I've just ordered a pre owned copy of Season 1 with the faulty audio barcode (only realised after I placed the order) is the audio problem noticeable on a standard HD TV set or is just when using a surround sound system? Again apologies if this has already been answered.
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 06:46 PM   #979
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post
Guys sorry this may have been answered already but I've just ordered a pre owned copy of Season 1 with the faulty audio barcode (only realised after I placed the order) is the audio problem noticeable on a standard HD TV set or is just when using a surround sound system? Again apologies if this has already been answered.
Yes. There is a very bad distortion/echo on the affected episodes when downmixed to stereo. Definitely use the information at this link:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223
Old August 26 2013, 07:14 PM   #980
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Yes. There is a very bad distortion/echo on the affected episodes when downmixed to stereo. Definitely use the information at this link:

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I'll have to get in touch with those guys. The only thing I'm hoping is that because it's pre-owned is that the discs have already been replaced but was sold under the old bar code (wishful thinking maybe...)
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 07:59 PM   #981
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I'll have to get in touch with those guys. The only thing I'm hoping is that because it's pre-owned is that the discs have already been replaced but was sold under the old bar code (wishful thinking maybe...)
To check if they've been replaced, look for the TNG combadge symbol to the left of the disc name on each disc, i.e. "DISC ONE," "DISC THREE," DISC FOUR" and "DISC FIVE."
Old September 22 2013, 06:17 PM   #982
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Does anyone know why the K'T'Inga from "Heart of Glory" had it's "radiator" glow changed from blue to red? I can understand if it may have been a result of bad color-timing during composting (hence the ship going from grey to green,) but I remember this limited edition painting Andrew Probert did. While the date marks it at 1991 (I think, if anyone actually has the print, let us know,) it's not unlike him to persistently use the elements and concepts he laid down when he was Art Director during Season 1 in later works about TNG. His most recent painting of the Calypso for the 2010 SOTL is entirely from the perspective of Season 1 (uniform design, the color of the yacht being the blue-green pattern of the actual ship, Picard smiling, etc.)

Plus, the Klingon ship having Federation markings actually makes perfect sense given Season 1's take on the relationship between Klingons and the Federation (that they were full members), as well as the Enterprise-B being unmodified.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!

Last edited by USS Mariner; September 22 2013 at 06:30 PM.
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 09:07 PM   #983
ATimson
Rear Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Does anyone know why the K'T'Inga from "Heart of Glory" had it's "radiator" glow changed from blue to red?
I don't know for sure, but if I were working on the project I certainly would have chalked up the original blue as a mistake rather than the effects team's intent. (Isn't that another reuse of the TMP footage, rather than a new shot?)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 11:23 PM   #984
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Does anyone know why the K'T'Inga from "Heart of Glory" had it's "radiator" glow changed from blue to red?
I don't know for sure, but if I were working on the project I certainly would have chalked up the original blue as a mistake rather than the effects team's intent. (Isn't that another reuse of the TMP footage, rather than a new shot?)
Yep, that's the original Apogee VistaVision footage from Star Trek: The Motion Picture that was pulled from storage and re-scanned for TNG-R. You can see the element breakdown over at TrekCore:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2012/10/exc...gital-part-iv/

It looks like the folks at CBS-Digital forgot to change the original red glow to blue to match how it was altered to look on TNG in 1988. They just went with the elements as originally shot in 1979.
Old September 23 2013, 03:41 AM   #985
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

It looks like the folks at CBS-Digital forgot to change the original red glow to blue to match how it was altered to look on TNG in 1988. They just went with the elements as originally shot in 1979.
Maybe when they do the Super-Special-Awesome-Anniversary Re-release, they can also "accidentally" fix HTVs mess of Season 2.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:54 PM   #986
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It seems that it was a good thing I held on to my original copy of season 1 of TNG on blu ray. Had a fault with disc 6 on the replacement set, it skipped and got it cleaned, data corrupted.

Thank god disc 6 was not one of the faulty errored discs so just did a switch over.
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:59 PM   #987
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think switching disc over is better than spending £40 just to get things consistent, money which I want to keep for Season 5.
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 11:48 PM   #988
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I popped open my season one set to watch an episode and realized my Best Buy receipt from July 24, 2012 was still in there.
Old November 20 2013, 04:52 PM   #989
Saxman1
Commodore

I know I'm way late to the party, but am I correct in assuming they didn't redo any of the effects/ship shots for TNG? I bought TNG season 1 on blu ray used and have yet to watch it. I'm working my way through TOS on blu ray (about to start season 3) and am totally knocked out. In a way, the cleaned up visuals and great ship and effects shots negate some of the datedness to me. Thanks for your responses.
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 06:04 PM   #990
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Select shots of the ship which couldn't be found have been replaced with CGI. All visual F/X like phaser, transporters, etc have been recreated using CGI since all the original F/X were created in SD only.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote