Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Re: The Voice (U.S.)

It's definitely going with the "let's make sure we can the saddest stories on the air" idea. They really don't need the ratings, but it seems like they are trying to grab anything.
Old September 26 2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Aragorn
Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
It's definitely going with the "let's make sure we can the saddest stories on the air" idea. They really don't need the ratings, but it seems like they are trying to grab anything.
The show has always pushed the sob story, even if it's as silly as a girl being made fun of before she got braces.

I suspect a lot of the contestants who receive the dreaded montage treatment simply don't have anything in their backstory to cry about.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 09:20 PM   #18
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

You can bet the producers were pissed when nobody turned around for the 16 year old with the hair disease.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:45 AM   #19
Aragorn
Admiral

The season 5 blinds were the most boring ones yet. I think season 3 was the best so far.

Lots of great voices to be sure, but for me the most interesting voice was Holly Henry, and while she can easily go far, ultimately she'll fall short.

I think a lot of country singers are gonna be shocked when Blake drops them like a rock.
Old October 14 2013, 08:12 PM   #20
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I agree, I don't see anyone interesting and it looks like a very level playing field. What's surprising me is The X-Factor which I've written off long ago. This year they've surprised me with two interesting contestants. If you guys have time, check out country/pop singer Rachel Potter and indie duet Alex and Sierra.
Old October 14 2013, 10:20 PM   #21
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The one thing that makes The Voice more watchable to me than other similar shows is the lack of insult judging. Even singers they don't like they're nice to. I can't watch Simon Cowell.
Old October 14 2013, 10:39 PM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral

They can be a little too positive though. Lots of hyperbole with "superstar" and "you can win this whole thing."

Sometimes they're honest about what works, what doesn't and improvements that can be made. Then on the other end of the spectrum you have Christina being flat out mean and condescending to Melanie Martinez and Tony Lucca.
Old October 15 2013, 01:07 AM   #23
Danny99
Vice Admiral

That's why last season was so good without her.
Old October 15 2013, 01:32 AM   #24
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The one thing that makes The Voice more watchable to me than other similar shows is the lack of insult judging. Even singers they don't like they're nice to. I can't watch Simon Cowell.
I think you'll find that Simon Cowell has mellowed out over the years. These days Simon tends to agree with the other judges a lot more often. From the recent X-Factor auditions I've seen, the few times he's dissented was to praise the singer when other judges gave bad comments.

Coupled with my habit of skipping parts of the show with no singing, I'm not too bothered with any judges' personality defects. I always skip Ceelo Green when he speaks to a female contestant. He flirts way to much. XD
Old October 15 2013, 01:46 AM   #25
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I would agree with that. Overly positive judging is equally useless as overly negative judging. But, with overly positive judging I want to roll my eyes, I don't want to change the channel.

I can sympathize with Christina's reaction to Tony Lucca. 99 Problems is a great song but it's also straight up misogynist. And to be fair, Tony Lucca does suck and probably only got as far as he did because he was a Mouseketeer.

But she does say 'Pitchy' way too much.
Old October 15 2013, 03:38 AM   #26
Aragorn
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I can sympathize with Christina's reaction to Tony Lucca. 99 Problems is a great song but it's also straight up misogynist. And to be fair, Tony Lucca does suck and probably only got as far as he did because he was a Mouseketeer.
Actually, that was back when one singer per coach was guaranteed to make the final show and in the semifinals the coaches gave a number vote for their final two singers. The female singer on Adam's team actually got the popular vote, but the Adam vote pushed Lucca forward.
Old October 15 2013, 06:13 PM   #27
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Ug, I remember that. Katrina Parker was so much better than Tony Lucca. Didn't she win the popular vote 59-41, and Adam gave 60-40 for Lucca?

But I mean, Lucca wouldn't have gotten so much success in the 6-4-2 rounds if it weren't for his previous celebrity, just as Jermaine Paul probably would not have won if it weren't for his association with Alicia Keys.
Old October 17 2013, 05:48 AM   #28
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I haven't been that excited by anyone on the show really...some of the battles were quite good, but no one stood out as a clear winner to me. And all through Tessanne and Donna Blake's performance this was all I could think of:

—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 08:29 PM   #29
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Yeah, but if previous seasons are any indication, battle rounds are not a good predictor of how good somebody is in the live shows.
Old October 17 2013, 08:31 PM   #30
Aragorn
Admiral

I like the battle rounds the most, although ratings show that the general audience likes the blind auditions the most because that's when their ratings are the highest.

Briana Cuoco showed a big improvement in her battle round over her why-did-anyone-turn-for-you blind audition, although I still think Blake stole her just to provide fodder for one of his original singers.