Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: borg for Trek 3
yes. 38 23.75%
no. 110 68.75%
save them for ST 4 (if there is one) 12 7.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 13 2013, 08:12 PM   #136
SiddFinch1
Commander

Re: Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Probably makes the.most sense for a big name among general fans. Even people who are not fans know a little about the Borg. Could get a boost from the rise of zombie movies recnrly.
Old October 13 2013, 09:18 PM   #137
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't want the Abramsverse to do a Borg story, but unfortunately I suspect that they still will. Oh well, I admit I'm curious as to how the different timeline would explain the Borg's presence this early...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 09:48 PM   #138
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

You all DO realize that by voting "no" you have effectively guaranteed that the Borg will appear in ST3... right?

Okay, I jest. But only kind of: the writers have demonstrated a propensity to figure out exactly what the most hardcore fans of Star Trek claim to want and then do the EXACT OPPOSITE in awesome style. It's almost as if they're intentionally giving us the finger; it's almost as if we deserve it.

Moreover, JJ Abrams has approached the franchise largely from an outsider's point of view, similar to the way Joss Whedon handled "The Avengers" (Sam Raimi did the same thing for Spiderman, though it didn't work out as well in the third one). He's pretty much distilled the entire franchise into a handful of Awesome Moments, modernized/reinterpreted/reinvented those Awesome Moments, and then built movies around them.

If/when they decide to do a Borg movie, it won't be just the Borg. They'll try to stick at least two other major villains into it, because, fuck it, it's the third movie, so obviously we need three villains. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be the Klingons launching a suicidal invasion of the Federation and the Enterprise helping Starfleet crush them, only to discover that the Klingons are actually fleeing from a Borg invasion or something like that.

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; October 13 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 10:46 PM   #139
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

I can see it now:

"Establish a connection to New Vulcan"

"What the hell? Do you know what time it is here?"

"Have you ever heard of a race called the Borg?

"You know I swore an oath never to divulge the future...they are the most dangerous enemy the Enterprise has ever known."

"You said that about Khan"

"Hey, you called me!"
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 01:36 AM   #140
Tiberius
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Tiberius wrote: View Post
Balrog wrote: View Post
Will Nick Meyer ever catch a break from Trek fans? WTF...
I think they are joking. The steaming pile of targ manure I was referring to is STiD. I think TWoK is an excellent movie.
We all know.

I was more just acknowledging the comment as another drive-by insult on Star Trek Into Darkness.
Hardly a drive by insult. I can point out flaws in the story that I can use to justify my dislike of the movie.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 01:40 AM   #141
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think they are joking. The steaming pile of targ manure I was referring to is STiD. I think TWoK is an excellent movie.
We all know.

I was more just acknowledging the comment as another drive-by insult on Star Trek Into Darkness.
Hardly a drive by insult. I can point out flaws in the story that I can use to justify my dislike of the movie.
But this isn't a thread about whether people liked the movie or not. Its a thread about where people think they should go next.
Old October 14 2013, 05:56 AM   #142
Tiberius
Commodore

And like I said, where I want them to go next is to a good movie. The inclusion or not of the Borg will not be the deciding factor on whether or not it is good.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 04:48 PM   #143
Balrog
Commodore

Balrog wrote: View Post
Will Nick Meyer ever catch a break from Trek fans? WTF...
Dude, when have Trekfans ever pissed on Nick Meyer?

I thought itt was pretty obvious I was joking too.
Old October 14 2013, 07:59 PM   #144
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

We all know.

Hardly a drive by insult.
Of course it was.
I can point out flaws in the story that I can use to justify my dislike of the movie.
No doubt you could, but it would in no way render the "steaming pile of targ manure" remark any less a wholly gratuitous insult.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 08:08 PM   #145
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

How can someone insult a thing (which a movie is, it's just a thing, not a person).

Are we getting all religious about it now?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 08:14 PM   #146
Cara007
Lieutenant

Maybe yes and may be no. Did The Voyage Home have any villains? It is still the most successful TOS film.
Cara007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 08:16 PM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
How can someone insult a thing (which a movie is, it's just a thing, not a person).

Why not?

Some people have been treating the rest of the franchise like a religion that has been violated by the mere existence of the Abrams films.
Old October 14 2013, 08:19 PM   #148
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Cara007 wrote: View Post
Maybe yes and may be no. Did The Voyage Home have any villains? It is still the most successful TOS film.
Voyage Home has a problem to solve, no villain. There is not even a villainous character in it, except for, if you stretch the definition, the whaler.
Old October 14 2013, 08:46 PM   #149
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Just as easily as Tiberius did here:
I honestly don't think that the choice of villain is a contributing factor to how good the movie will be. Khan was the villain in two films. The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. One was excellent, the other was a steaming pile of targ manure. So I don't give a shit about whether the Borg are the villain or not. I just want a good movie.
(For your convenience and viewing pleasure, the set-up has been underlined, while the "insult proper" has been placed in bold.)

Are we? I certainly have no intention of doing so. However, if you're having thoughts along those lines, I hope you'll be good enough to take it somewhere private, so we won't be forced to watch.

Clever observation about a movie being a thing and not a person, though. Bravo!
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 12:09 AM   #150
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

You only quoted the text. Still doesn't answer how one can insult a movie.
The filmmakers might indirectly feel insulted, but they are not here.
If a fan feels insulted by that, he might have an issue and needs to step back a bit.