Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 14 2013, 02:03 AM   #61
Leto_II
Commander

Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Fair enough, although it's actually Wise himself (on-camera) who goes into a good amount of detail about the re-editing process in the DVD documentary (as well as on the audio commentary track), and claims that he personally supervised things -- as you mention, it's not really provable either way, but Wise's own words kind of give that theory a tiny bit more heft (as it were).
Old October 14 2013, 03:05 AM   #62
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Maurice wrote: View Post
What the PR people said about the depth of Wise's involvement and what actually transpired isn't provable, obviously, but the editorial choices in the film don't match what Wise previously said he wanted to do if he could recut the film, and the number of fan wanky changes made in the DE smack of someone else driving the bus (hello Sharpline).
Haven't seen the DE since it was released, but just off the top of my head: I'm hard-pressed to think how the CGI addition of an original series shuttlecraft as an easter egg is supposed to have contributed to Wise's original vision of the film.
Old October 14 2013, 06:25 AM   #63
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

^^^Or changing San Francisco to match the later films, or superimposing the stardate on that scene, or changing the size of the cloud, etc. etc.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 08:58 AM   #64
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

The San Francisco change was actually to reflect more clearly the ideal earth of Gene Roddenberry.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 01:34 PM   #65
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Leto_II wrote: View Post
If they were lost, it'd be the exact same situation that happened to Babylon 5, and which is preventing that series from getting an HD upgrade -- essentially, the original CGI files created way back in the mid-'90s were dumped out of memory and lost.

What this means is that Warner Bros. will have to spent a huge amount of money to create brand-new visual FX from scratch if they ever want to release B5 on Blu-Ray.
But at least they wouldn't look so fake. I loved B5 but thats the one thing I always hated about it.. The CGI was cool. But looked 100% fake. Great for the 90's Not so much today.
Old October 14 2013, 03:45 PM   #66
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Saturn0660 wrote: View Post
Great for the 90's Not so much today.
It wasn't even good in the 90s, although the FX guys were some of the early TV CGI pioneers and they got better as they went along.
Old October 14 2013, 04:52 PM   #67
Lance
Commodore

The original special effects for B5 were famously done on 'Video Toaster' technology used on the old Commodore Amiga computers, right? Did they ever get around to updating it to more regular PCs later on? Changing to a completely different computer system might have contributed to those earlier FX shots no longer being available. As well as the fact that the commercial life of the Amiga itself died sometime around 1994. Could the Amiga files have been migrated to a new operating system?

EDIT: Wikipedia tells me they stopped using the Amiga after the first season.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 01:33 AM   #68
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
EDIT: Wikipedia tells me they stopped using the Amiga after the first season.
Right. Video Toaster eventually became PC software, not tied to the Amiga, and then eventually morphed into software widely used today called Lightwave 3D.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 01:34 AM   #69
austen_pierce
Captain

milo bloom wrote: View Post
SLV or go home.

Seriously, there's so many character beats that are hardwired to my memory of that movie, watching it so many times on VHS, that no current version seems right.

I would gladly pay good money for a deluxe three version Bluray set: theatrical, DE and SLV.
What in the world does Paramount have against these type of releases for Trek?????

RAMA wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I am so relieved we got the original cut of The Motion Picture on Blu-Ray instead of the Director Edition abomination that came out a decade ago. The original cinema release from 1979 is the definitive cut of TMP and no one should tinker with it. It is what it is and shouldn't have been messed with.

I am just glad that Paramount had the usual foresight to render the new DE effects in SD thus sparing us from its HD release. If someone from Paramount reads this, please ensure you never let some fool looking for a quick buck talk you into remastering the DE for the undoubted future blu-ray special uber edition. It is not broken, it does not need fixing, it is what it is and we love it.

The best thing that could happen for any future TMP release would be to go back to original camera negative and rebuild the movie from there using the exact same system CBS digital are using on TNG right now. Imagine those wonderful effects recomposited with 21st century technology... the original elements but without noise/matte lines etc NO NEW CGI, just the original but better.

OH and please Paramount, when you re-re-re release TMP on bluray please please don't scrub the grain off. DNR SUCKS. Keep the grain intact, scan at 8k or 16k or whatever and do it right next time. Just ask CBS Digital to do it! (Not HTV)
Thats funny, I thought the DE was the only thing that made rewatching TMP worthwhile.
Actually, I wouldn't go quite that far (see below). My nirvana would be the DE effects with all the footage added back in. Pacing be damned, I want ALL the content.

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
One thing I wish the DE had included is the extended argument between Kirk and McCoy in Kirk's quarters ("And another thing..." "Get out of here, Bones.").
Ditto. Classic Kirk annoyance scene. Can't get enough of that!
Old October 15 2013, 09:26 AM   #70
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
The San Francisco change was actually to reflect more clearly the ideal earth of Gene Roddenberry.
Boy have you got that backwards.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 09:08 AM   #71
Mama Claus
Captain

I enjoyed the blu-ray version I have. It mentions the 82 AU size of the cloud so I assume it's not the DE...
Old November 2 2013, 12:49 PM   #72
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Jane O'Lantern wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the blu-ray version I have. It mentions the 82 AU size of the cloud so I assume it's not the DE...
It is the original theatrical release. All the TOS film Blu-rays are.
Old November 2 2013, 06:07 PM   #73
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Saturn0660 wrote: View Post
Great for the 90's Not so much today.
It wasn't even good in the 90s, although the FX guys were some of the early TV CGI pioneers and they got better as they went along.
Well, i guess "great" in the way that there was so much of it.. It did look kinda shitty but in a "cool" kinda way.. But i enjoyed it anyway.
Old November 3 2013, 03:53 AM   #74
Grant
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Jane O'Lantern wrote: View Post
It is the original theatrical release. All the TOS film Blu-rays are.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 03:03 PM   #75
borgboy
Fleet Captain

The lack of DE versions is why I have yet to re-buy the TOS movies on blu ray yet.