Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 14 2013, 01:57 AM   #46
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Was Sisko a Javert

Which part of "the colonists chose to live under the Cardassian government" wasn't clear to you?

I'm left wondering exactly what the colonists thought was going to happen to them. First they choose to live perilously close to a hostile government, then they choose to live under that government instead of leaving when they're given the chance, then they decide they'd rather stir things up and risk provoking an interstellar war than move.

If nothing else had persuaded them, I'd have thought Dukat's selling out of Cardassia to the Dominion would have gotten their attention. If I'd been a Maquis, the minute I learned that the Jem'hadar would be "resolving" the situation I would have packed up and fled for the nearest Federation planet. Hell, I might have even made an effort to (re)join Starfleet and worry about my own measly planet after the war was over.

In an age of transporters, replicators, holodecks, etc., "this is our home!!!" is IMO an especially weak argument under the circumstances.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 02:48 AM   #47
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Indeed.

The Federation had to sign that treaty; that much is obvious. Either sign the treaty, or go to war with Cardassia. And the Federation was perfectly willing to help the colonists move; it can be realistically argued that the colonists HAD to move, to preserve the greater good (peace with Cardassia).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:09 AM   #48
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
then they choose to live under that government instead of leaving when they're given the chance, then they decide they'd rather stir things up and risk provoking an interstellar war than move.
I'm pretty sure the trouble started when the Cardassian government violated the treaty by arming their colonies.

So yeah the federation failed the Maquis in that they never bothered to make sure the Cardassians (who have been known to violate agreements before) obeyed the treaty.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:21 AM   #49
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ It was Cardassian territory. What was the Federation supposed to do, barge into their space on their own?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 14 2013, 04:47 AM   #50
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
then they choose to live under that government instead of leaving when they're given the chance, then they decide they'd rather stir things up and risk provoking an interstellar war than move.
I'm pretty sure the trouble started when the Cardassian government violated the treaty by arming their colonies.

So yeah the federation failed the Maquis in that they never bothered to make sure the Cardassians (who have been known to violate agreements before) obeyed the treaty.
Sooo...a nation already believed to be oppressive to live under ended up oppressing people living under it?

It's too bad nobody could have possibly seen that one coming.
Old October 14 2013, 05:21 AM   #51
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Also, the Prime Directive would seem to apply here. These colonists renounced their Federation citizenship and lived as citizens of the Cardassian Union. So if the Federation tried to interfere, that would be a breach of the PD and could lead to war.

Indeed, wasn't Eddington bragging about how the Maquis were going to declare independence? (Although that could have been an instance of Eddington being the egotistical jackass that he was.)
Old October 14 2013, 05:34 AM   #52
DonIago
Rear Admiral

It's also entirely possible that the Federation would have done more about the situation but simply wasn't in a position to do so. Didn't Picard and Nechayev both agree that the treaty was sub-par? It's possible if Starfleet had been more built up at the time that they could have pushed for a better treaty and/or made more of an effort to uphold it afterward. As it was I suspect they were happy enough that war didn't break out.
Old October 14 2013, 07:24 AM   #53
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah because peace at all costs sure worked well with Cardassia. They only attempted to sieze Minos Korva while they were negotiating that treaty, routinely attacked Federaton targets when it suited their agenda afterward, and let's not forget that little thing called being the catalyst to the Dominion war. That was well worth selling out their own people for.
Old October 14 2013, 08:55 AM   #54
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Which part of "the colonists chose to live under the Cardassian government" wasn't clear to you?
Which part of - watch 'The Maquis' again - is not clear to you?
Among the many revelations you will have is that the colonists chose to live in the DMZ under federation government.
Also, if the Maquis were really under Cardassian government, then the federation had no right to hunt them down as criminals, etc.

As for the rest of your post, your attempts to blame the victims are transparent enough to be clear to everyone who caress to look at the depicted situation even half-way objectively.
Old October 14 2013, 02:24 PM   #55
DonIago
Rear Admiral

(laughs) Okie-doke.
Old October 14 2013, 02:26 PM   #56
DonIago
Rear Admiral

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Yeah because peace at all costs sure worked well with Cardassia. They only attempted to sieze Minos Korva while they were negotiating that treaty, routinely attacked Federaton targets when it suited their agenda afterward, and let's not forget that little thing called being the catalyst to the Dominion war. That was well worth selling out their own people for.
And yet none of those things ultimately led to a war which it seems the Federation couldn't have afforded at the time.

I think Star Trek fans have a tendency to assume Starfleet can handle any situation that arises when looking back at things that occurred during TNG it seems obvious that they must have had limits to their resources at the time.
Old October 14 2013, 06:33 PM   #57
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Or a tendency to assume that peace at all costs doesn't work on a nation that doesn't want peace. Sacrifice a lot to avoid a small war today, only to fight a big one tomorrow. Good call.
Old October 14 2013, 06:57 PM   #58
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
^ It was Cardassian territory.
No it was the Demilitarized Zone

Memory Alpha wrote:
The Demilitarized Zone (sometimes referred to as the DMZ) was a buffer zone in the Alpha Quadrant. The zone was established between the United Federation of Planets and the Cardassian Union, by the terms of the Federation-Cardassian Treaty of 2370. According to the treaty, neither side was permitted to deploy armed starships, or establish military bases in the Zone.

which means NO WEAPONS, none, zip, zero, nada

What was the Federation supposed to do,
How about making sure the Demilitarized Zone was staying demilitarized since otherwise that whole treaty the Federation and the Cardassians came up with the inconvenienced a lot of people for the chance of peace ISN'T WORTH S!@T.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 07:27 PM   #59
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Both sides messed up IMO.

Some of the Maquis had some strange ideas about home- colonize a planet on the border with Cardassia, even though they were warned not to do it.

Just taking a look at what Cardassian military can be like should have made that decision easy.

The Federation is prosperous- they have plenty of planets to choose from.

At the same time, the Federation bent over backwards to please the Cardassians, even after all their plots and schemes were uncovered.

The truth is though, that any group of people who are stubborn enough to move onto a planet right on a disputed border with a hostile power with a reputation for brutality, despite being warned--

-- is going to the be the same type to form a terrorist/resistance group and fight unto every one of them is wiped out.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 03:02 AM   #60
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Your location says you're from California.. would you feel the same if the US ceded California to Mexico as part of an agreement to stop drug cartel violence, and the Mexican Army began to oppress the people there? You'd just up and leave and not care because the rest of the US is prosperous? Even if it was your own family that was indiscriminately targeted?