Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 14 2013, 03:36 AM   #91
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Anyone else sick of Miley Cyrus?

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
It's been like that since music became a business, we just feel that the quality has gone downhill.
Very true, but the technology has made it easier to market untalented people. In the 1960s the model was 'Find talented people, then decide how to market them'. Now it's 'Decide how you want to market your band, then staff it entirely based on looks'. They would have loved to do that in the 1960s, but they couldn't, because they didn't have modern technology to make somebody with no vocal or musical ability sound good.

The Monkees were a lot like a boy band, and marketed the exact same way. Only they were forced to hire people who sounded okay on their own, so the Monkees came out sounding okay if you ignore the asinine marketing.

Heck, Milli Vanilli got shamed, stripped of their awards and run out of the business for doing stuff that's just assumed now.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I only know who Miley Cyrus is because people complain about her all the time. It's the same with Justin Beiber. I have no idea what any of his music sounds like, but in EVERY YouTube comment section his popularity is being bitched about. If people ignored these two, they'd go away faster.
I know who Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber are because I used to have a job that had me spending a lot of time in supermarkets and retail stores, where they play that shit on repeat all day.

And because I occasionally watch Saturday Night Live and they wet themselves over those two.

If you don't expose yourself to a lot of other media and your job is far away from retail, you can ignore them, but you do kind of see them everywhere.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 04:09 AM   #92
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
I think she's a sweetheart, I think she's intelligent, and she does have a good voice. Right now she's young, she has star power, and she's trying to get away from a previous career where she was under the thumb of a rather draconian media corporation.
Making comments about "old jewish men" is not a terribly good way to show you're intelligent. And maybe she's got a good voice, but I've certainly not heard it in anything - and her "We Can't Stop" song is the most awfully caterwauly depressing "party" thing I've ever heard.
Old October 14 2013, 04:16 AM   #93
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Now that I've done a little more research on the Monkees. Do you know how much crap they took just because they didn't always play all their own instruments in the studio (Even though they did play them live)?

Over the last 50 years our tolerance for fakeness in music has drastically increased.
Old October 14 2013, 04:40 AM   #94
the G-man
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Now that I've done a little more research on the Monkees. Do you know how much crap they took just because they didn't always play all their own instruments in the studio (Even though they did play them live)?
One heartening thing: The shit that the Monkees took was more from the rock critics (ie those that couldnt) than their fellow rock musicians.

People like Frank Zappa and even John Lennon himself had a lot of respect for the talent that those guys (and especially Mike Nesmith) had.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 06:56 AM   #95
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Vulture Capitalist wrote: View Post
I think she's a sweetheart, I think she's intelligent, and she does have a good voice. Right now she's young, she has star power, and she's trying to get away from a previous career where she was under the thumb of a rather draconian media corporation.
Making comments about "old jewish men" is not a terribly good way to show you're intelligent.
She's also very young.

And maybe she's got a good voice, but I've certainly not heard it in anything - and her "We Can't Stop" song is the most awfully caterwauly depressing "party" thing I've ever heard.
Well, I've heard it, and she has a good voice.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 01:49 PM   #96
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Vulture Capitalist wrote: View Post
Making comments about "old jewish men" is not a terribly good way to show you're intelligent.
She's also very young.
No excuse.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 01:51 PM   #97
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Miley Cyrus? No. Miley Cyrus is beautiful, talented and spirited young woman.

Hannah Montana? Yes. Hannah Montana is a manufactured product with Miley Cyrus cast in the part. A product manufactured by the worst sides of Disney. Hannah lacks - "talent" and is little more than a flash-in-the-pan pop star.

Miley is a good role model for children and teens as she is unlike many other teen stars we've had in the past (Lindsay Lohan and Britteny Spears I'm looking at you) and her independent work (well, her work without the stigma of Hannah Montana) shows she's got real talent. If/when she sloths off the "product" of HM she should have a bright future ahead of her in the music field and maybe even the acting field.

Trekker, will be there on November 23, 2010 - although she'll be legal in much of the US this year.
I was about to quote this, because I didn't realize the thread is already 5 fucking years old.

But I quote it anyways, because it's absolutely hilarious! How things change.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 02:27 PM   #98
Lonemagpie
Writer

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I only know who Miley Cyrus is because people complain about her all the time.
Same here, and, TBH, the complaints people are making, and the culture of "oh she used to be a child star so shouldn't be allowed to grow up because if she does SHE'S AN EVIL CORRUPTING WHORE!*" that's fuelling it all, is really, really, really making me feel nothing but support for her even though I've never heard her music.

*- I blame CS Lewis. Note how the only one of the Narnia kids who grows up and dares to date someone outside of marriage is the one who is cast as evil, fallen, and not saved at the end of the book series.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:02 PM   #99
the G-man
Commodore

"oh she used to be a child star so shouldn't be allowed to grow up..
I don't think anyone begrudges her growing up. The question is why she thinks "growing up" means acting stupider than she did before she "grew up."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:08 PM   #100
Lonemagpie
Writer

the G-man wrote: View Post
"oh she used to be a child star so shouldn't be allowed to grow up..
I don't think anyone begrudges her growing up. The question is why she thinks "growing up" means acting stupider than she did before she "grew up."
A lot of the complaints I see are ones about someone who was a Disney child star and appealing to kids shouldn't be allowed to display sexuality that might influence other kids. They don't put it in those exact words, but...

As for acting stupid, that seems to be a common celebrity thing, and her, you and my definitions of "stupid" are probably all completely different.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:29 PM   #101
The Haunting
Admiral

I wouldn't say I'm sick of her as I don't know much about her. I do always find the tongue hanging out pictures of her somewhat disturbing however...

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 07:22 PM   #102
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I have a hard time believing anybody's going to seriously begrudge a pop star for saying the kind of things comedians base their careers off saying.

And all the parents who are mad about her sexualization have daughters who are already sexually active. Girls aren't going to copy Miley, Miley is copying the girls, and it's all just a marketing ploy.
Old October 14 2013, 11:23 PM   #103
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Miley Cyrus? No. Miley Cyrus is beautiful, talented and spirited young woman.

Hannah Montana? Yes. Hannah Montana is a manufactured product with Miley Cyrus cast in the part. A product manufactured by the worst sides of Disney. Hannah lacks - "talent" and is little more than a flash-in-the-pan pop star.

Miley is a good role model for children and teens as she is unlike many other teen stars we've had in the past (Lindsay Lohan and Britteny Spears I'm looking at you) and her independent work (well, her work without the stigma of Hannah Montana) shows she's got real talent. If/when she sloths off the "product" of HM she should have a bright future ahead of her in the music field and maybe even the acting field.

Trekker, will be there on November 23, 2010 - although she'll be legal in much of the US this year.
I was about to quote this, because I didn't realize the thread is already 5 fucking years old.

But I quote it anyways, because it's absolutely hilarious! How things change.
Indeed. That really seemed to be the case when I posted that but, alas, she has slipped into the darkside. She does really have tallent though and I hope she "grows out of this" and lets that tallent shine.
Old October 16 2013, 01:54 AM   #104
Gloomy Giver
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post

Hopefully, if she doesn't end up pissing away her career and talent like Lindsey Lohan (or, to a lesser extent, Christina Aguilara), she'll have a long career as a folk/country artist insofar as that seems to be where her voice really works the best.
▲Ok I had a listen to this ,this is what she should stick too, she also needs to look that gad awful hair style..
Old October 16 2013, 04:16 AM   #105
Festering Esper
Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I don't much like her current image and I've never been a fan of hers anyway, but I do want to point out that she does have talent. For example, listen to this cover of the song "Lilac Wine."
Wow. I didn't hate that. ツ