Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 12 2013, 06:13 PM   #1
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Should Chapel Have Become a Doctor?

So we know that sometime between TOS and TMP, Christine Chapel went to medical school and became a doctor. Apparently, she was going to be Chief Medical Officer on the Enterprise under Captain Decker, before Kirk took command and "drafted" McCoy back into service.

My question is... Was this a good choice for her character? I can understand what Roddenberry was trying to do. He wanted to break out of the traditional "the men are the doctors, the women are the nurses" roles that had been portrayed in TOS. And, of course, he wanted to make sure Majel Barrett had something substantial to do in the film as well. But does it actually send the wrong message?

Nursing is an important profession unto itself. It is not just a "stepping stone" to becoming a doctor. The vast, vast majority of nurses never to medical school to become doctors. And it's certainly not a "lesser" profession. Doctors and nurses play different roles, but both are equally important.

Did having Chapel being "promoted" to doctor actually send the wrong message about the importance of nurses?

Thoughts?
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: Should Chapel Have Become a Doctor?

I don't think it was a bad thing. Sometimes a doctor needs another doctor.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Sran
Fleet Captain

CoveZombie wrote: View Post
So we know that sometime between TOS and TMP, Christine Chapel went to medical school and became a doctor.
Not to be nitpicky, but medical school lasts four years. Chapel was likely already enrolled as a medical student sometime during the five-year mission, as the two-and-a-half years that elapsed between TOS and TMP would not have been enough time for her to complete her degree.

CoveZombie wrote:
Did having Chapel being "promoted" to doctor actually send the wrong message about the importance of nurses?
I don't think so. For starters, it's never made clear why Chapel opted for the career change. Maybe becoming a physician was what she always wanted but never had the opportunity until she'd spent several years as a nurse. Maybe she realized she wanted a different role in patient care because of her work with McCoy. If one takes the time to look at age trends of people who attend medical school, the average age of enrollment is increasing. It's not twenty two or twenty three. It's twenty seven and rising.

I was twenty two when I started medical school, but there are fewer people like me around now than there were several decades ago.

--Sran
Old October 12 2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
So we know that sometime between TOS and TMP, Christine Chapel went to medical school and became a doctor.
Not to be nitpicky, but medical school lasts four years. Chapel was likely already enrolled as a medical student sometime during the five-year mission, as the two-and-a-half years that elapsed between TOS and TMP would not have been enough time for her to complete her degree.
--Sran
It might've been in a universe where Uhura can be mind-wiped by Nomad yet shortly return to being a Starfleet officer.
Old October 12 2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Sran
Fleet Captain

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
It might've been in a universe where Uhura can be mind-wiped by Nomad yet shortly return to being a Starfleet officer.
I thought about that. But even if Chapel were to have completed her degree in that timespan, I have a hard time believing she'd immediately receive the position of CMO on a vessel with a crew as diverse as the one Decker put together. Christopher's Ex Machina states that the refit Enterprise had the most diverse crew of any in Starfleet history until Will Riker's USS Titan crew surpassed it. The novels aren't cannon, of course, but what is cannon is the inordinate number of alien species seen on the rec deck of Enterprise watching the V'Ger footage.

--Sran
Old October 12 2013, 10:21 PM   #6
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
I don't think it was a bad thing. Sometimes a doctor needs another doctor.
True. And we've seen that there's more than one doctor aboard the Enterprise. TOS had M'Benga. TNG had Selar. But that doesn't mean it had to be Chapel.

In fact, if Roddenberry and Barrett had wanted to cement her status as an important member of the crew, I think it would have made more sense for McCoy, when he was drafted, to have specifically requested her to be his head nurse, thus bringing them back together. Nothing that she did in TMP required her to be a doctor. She could have been a nurse and had the exact same lines of dialogue.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Chapel was involved with "Bio-research" before joining Starfleet. It's possible she was on her way to a doctorate at that time.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Sran
Fleet Captain

In fact, if Roddenberry and Barrett had wanted to cement her status as an important member of the crew, I think it would have made more sense for McCoy, when he was drafted, to have specifically requested her to be his head nurse, thus bringing them back together.
Interesting you should put it this way, because who's to say that's not what actually happened? We don't actually know that Chapel was assigned to Enterprise. She's part of the all-crew assembly on the recreation deck, but she may have come aboard due to orders issued by Kirk or Nogura rather than because Decker asked for her. If McCoy had a hand in bringing her back, he may have thought she was still a nurse and found out she'd finished medical school in his absence. That would explain his line to Kirk in the transporter room.

--Sran
Old October 13 2013, 08:01 AM   #9
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Just because its 4 years for medical school now doesn't mean that it will be 4 years in the future.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Lance
Fleet Captain

I've always wondered about Chapel's involvement in TMP. It seems strange, as she's basically bumped up to doctor but doesn't really do anything more than she already did in TOS (of course, Phase II might have intended to use the character more thoroughly -- TMP was only the pilot episode after all).

The same with Rand. It's nice to see the lovely Grace Lee, but she's kinda a cameo isn't she? So is Chapel. It's a bit like TMP is trying to appeal to the fanbase, maybe a bit like those television reunion show specials. You know the sort of thing: "Hey look folks, the whole gang's back together again! Even Janice Rand is here!".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Remember that Chapel was only aboard in TOS because the ship was going to be near the area where her fiance, Dr Korby, vanished. She was already studying for her doctorate, and perhaps took the lower nurse position that was vacant.

And, yes, according to the script of "In Thy Image", Rand was to have more to do in "Phase II". She is even scripted to relieve Uhura at Communications in one scene.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Sran
Fleet Captain

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
Just because its 4 years for medical school now doesn't mean that it will be 4 years in the future.
If we're to believe Dr. Selar, medical school is actually longer in the future. There's dialogue in one of the NF novels specifying that a degree from Starfleet Medical requires six years of study.

--Sran
Old October 13 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Sran
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
It's a bit like TMP is trying to appeal to the fanbase, maybe a bit like those television reunion show specials. You know the sort of thing: "Hey look folks, the whole gang's back together again! Even Janice Rand is here!"
Which is actually one of the reasons why the film is criticized. As much as fans liked seeing the crew reunited, a lot of people have since observed that TMP suffers from trying to make it appear as though only a short amount of time has passed since the end of the five-year mission. The problem is that over ten years have passed for the actors. The cast was clearly aging. Shatner had a toupee.

Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer decided that aging was one of the themes they would embrace for the second film because it fit more with where the actors themselves were in their lives and was a much easier sell for the audience.

--Sran
Old October 13 2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

In all fairness, Shatner had a toupee long before TMP.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:42 PM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I always figured it was something like Chapel being a med student, and the opportunity to serve on Enterprise as a nurse came up and she decided to take it and finish school after the five year mission.