RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,709
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 482
Newest member: fanficfan

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 13 2013, 04:57 AM   #16
WisTrekFan
Lieutenant

Re: Nostalgia of TOS on VHS!

The reason I bought my first VCR in 1985 was to buy and watch the Star Trek episodes that were being released on VHS. I think three or four tapes were issued at a time, so it took a while to get the entire series. I still have the tapes on my shelf and still haven't purchased TOS on DVD.
WisTrekFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:00 AM   #17
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

I try to get a VCR at a yard sale whenever I can. I keep wearing the belts (thats what i get for not finding me a rewinder-rewind is hard on vcr belts) out and screwing up the heads(Dont know how) . I have most of the first season of TNG on the Columbia House 2 episode Tapes. A few 2nd season episodes on single episode VHS tapes.
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:08 AM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

WisTrekFan wrote: View Post
The reason I bought my first VCR in 1985 was to buy and watch the Star Trek episodes that were being released on VHS. I think three or four tapes were issued at a time, so it took a while to get the entire series. I still have the tapes on my shelf and still haven't purchased TOS on DVD.
You must have been buying them around the same time I was. The ones I was getting (my copy of Private Little War has a 1986 copyright date on the box) were being released in lots of 10 about every 4 or 6 months in USA. I'd go to my local store and special order the entire lot as they were released. They probably really loved me for that as they always treated me well.
Old October 13 2013, 01:21 PM   #19
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Being a Johnny-come-lately to Trek, I first truly delved into the series via the VHS releases in the mid-eighties. A local video store had all of Season 1 and all but few episodes of Season 2. Let's just say that I only rented them once, but watched them many, many times....
Old October 13 2013, 02:38 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
Being a Johnny-come-lately to Trek, I first truly delved into the series via the VHS releases in the mid-eighties. A local video store had all of Season 1 and all but few episodes of Season 2. Let's just say that I only rented them once, but watched them many, many times....
The joy of patch cables!
Old October 13 2013, 10:18 PM   #21
publiusr
Commodore

I've got a lot of VHS tapes, and it is too costly for me to transfer them over now. My combo DVD VHS eats tapes, so I don't dare play anything on it.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:03 AM   #22
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
I've got a lot of VHS tapes, and it is too costly for me to transfer them over now. My combo DVD VHS eats tapes, so I don't dare play anything on it.
I amassed tons of cassettes over the course of my VHS "career," most of them home-taped off the air and from cable. I part with more of them every time I move, to lighten my load. I bought some TOS episodes pre-recorded.

Knowing that the VCR would die even if I had a free shelf by the TV to keep it on, I scanned the VHS box art from TOS, Lost in Space, and a few other things. Your memories never really fade if you have hi-res jpegs stored away. I love my scanner.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:10 AM   #23
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I've got "The Cage" on wax cylinder.
Old October 14 2013, 03:19 AM   #24
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Pffft. I have the original stone tablets Roddenberry brought down from the mountain.
Old October 15 2013, 08:40 PM   #25
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

The beauty of the switch to blu-ray is that I don't HAVE to replace my dvds like I had to replace my VHS. Blu-rays can play dvds. And DVD format is good enough for me. So even when they quit making dvds and dvd players, My current dvd library will be playable. I won't have to stock up on dvd players like i had to VCRs.
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 10:28 AM   #26
FreddyE
Commander

I still got my TOS VHS collection, they are actually bilingual...German / English, so I got to watch most of TOS in english waaaaayyy before DVDs became mainstream.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote