RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,577
Posts: 5,403,075
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 468
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 11 2013, 08:20 PM   #46
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Leto_II wrote: View Post
This resulted in several rather inexplicable snips to existing scenes, such as Kirk's second, waspish, "Viewer off!!" in the crew Rec-deck scene, McCoy's "...Or a crew of a thousand, ten miles tall!" during the entry to V'Ger, etc.

.
The ten miles line is only in the SE from TV, not the theatrical. Why he cut it in the first place is the question ...

Sorry I haven't been chiming in on these TMP threads, but I've been really sick for about 10 days and not doing much of anything. Will try to check in more often, apologies to all.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 01:28 AM   #47
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

I recently watched the theatrical cut and I was surprised to see how superior the Directors Edition really is!! A huge improvement! However, I do like the theatrical cut so I will pick that up. I am surprised the Blu-Ray doesn't have both!
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 03:52 AM   #48
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

^ As I understand it, it's more a case of the Blu Ray can't have both, because the assets used for certain brand new special effects sequences in the DE were all done digitally, and those assets no longer exist so they'd have to spend money redoing them with new technology to make them match up to an HD standard. As opposed to the theatical cut, where they just need to run the original negative through a machine to scan it at a higher res. The simple fact is that no 'original negative' of the DE exists because it was an entirely digital production made specifically for the DVD era.

I assume the 'Special Longer Version' could be done in HD however, because it was sourced from original assets that probably still exist in the vaults. It'd just be a case of tracking down the relevant negatives, scanning everything and then splicing it together to match the previous SLV.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:29 AM   #49
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Lance wrote: View Post
I assume the 'Special Longer Version' could be done in HD however, because it was sourced from original assets that probably still exist in the vaults. It'd just be a case of tracking down the relevant negatives, scanning everything and then splicing it together to match the previous SLV.
I think that all the negatives where there when they did the DE. Some scenes from the SLV turned up in the DE, some as deleted scenes. No idea if those came from the original negatives, though.
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 01:10 PM   #50
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
I assume the 'Special Longer Version' could be done in HD however, because it was sourced from original assets that probably still exist in the vaults. It'd just be a case of tracking down the relevant negatives, scanning everything and then splicing it together to match the previous SLV.
I think that all the negatives where there when they did the DE. Some scenes from the SLV turned up in the DE, some as deleted scenes. No idea if those came from the original negatives, though.
Not everything in the DE came from the original negatives. The new special effect sequences (which Wikipedia tells me comprised "90 new and redesigned computer-generated images") were done digitally, and as I am led to understand it the assets used back in 2001 to construct these sequences no longer exist. So those sequences, at the very least, would have to either be cut (which would remove the whole point of the Director's Edition), or replaced completely with brand new versions remade with HD technology (which would be costly for the studio). Neither seems very likely.

As you say, in theory a number of the trims, cuts and redubbed live-action scenes from the DE could be made by simply scanning those negatives and then making the changes to reflect how they appeared in the DE. But those particular new special effects sequences could be what tips a release of the DE in Blu Ray format into the "too hard" basket.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 05:20 PM   #51
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Everything I've read suggests all the digital assets from the DE still exist. They just need to be re-rendered in high definition.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 07:33 PM   #52
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Harvey wrote: View Post
Everything I've read suggests all the digital assets from the DE still exist. They just need to be re-rendered in high definition.
Why do people keep claiming they have been lost?

Is it the same people who claim all the deleted scenes have been lost?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:26 AM   #53
Leto_II
Commander
 
Leto_II's Avatar
 
Location: Room 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

If they were lost, it'd be the exact same situation that happened to Babylon 5, and which is preventing that series from getting an HD upgrade -- essentially, the original CGI files created way back in the mid-'90s were dumped out of memory and lost.

What this means is that Warner Bros. will have to spent a huge amount of money to create brand-new visual FX from scratch if they ever want to release B5 on Blu-Ray.
__________________
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:37 AM   #54
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Harvey wrote: View Post
Everything I've read suggests all the digital assets from the DE still exist. They just need to be re-rendered in high definition.
Correct. The company that did the CG for the remaster, Foundation Imaging, is defunct, however the digital artists that worked on it have the files in their personal collections. One of them is Daren Dochterman, he has repeatedly said he's ready willing and able to redo the DE CGI if Paramount ever came calling.

Daren has also said that the newly color timed copy of TMP exists somewhere in Paramount's vaults, since they struck a new master of it as a starting place for the DE release.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 07:07 AM   #55
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

First, again, the release date was not arbitrary, but the fact that Paramount had pre-booked it with theater chains meant they were legally bound to release it by Dec. 7, 1979, and subject to lawsuit if they didn't. That the film ran into so many problems means the Producers fumbled badly and didn't deal with the production problems in an effective manner. They could easily have whacked 40% of the effects shots and saved time and money and probably ended up with a better film.

As to Wise's re-edit. I think it's safe to say that the DE is no such thing. We've discussed it again and again, and the DE feels like a fan edit that Wise said yes to. There's some good editorial choices and a lot of head scratchers.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 07:17 AM   #56
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Lance wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
I assume the 'Special Longer Version' could be done in HD however, because it was sourced from original assets that probably still exist in the vaults. It'd just be a case of tracking down the relevant negatives, scanning everything and then splicing it together to match the previous SLV.
I think that all the negatives where there when they did the DE. Some scenes from the SLV turned up in the DE, some as deleted scenes. No idea if those came from the original negatives, though.
Not everything in the DE came from the original negatives. The new special effect sequences (which Wikipedia tells me comprised "90 new and redesigned computer-generated images") were done digitally, and as I am led to understand it the assets used back in 2001 to construct these sequences no longer exist. So those sequences, at the very least, would have to either be cut (which would remove the whole point of the Director's Edition), or replaced completely with brand new versions remade with HD technology (which would be costly for the studio). Neither seems very likely.

As you say, in theory a number of the trims, cuts and redubbed live-action scenes from the DE could be made by simply scanning those negatives and then making the changes to reflect how they appeared in the DE. But those particular new special effects sequences could be what tips a release of the DE in Blu Ray format into the "too hard" basket.
You're talking about the DE, I was talking about the SLV ... referring to the post that I quoted. And I do think that all the negatives needed for the SLV were there when they did the DE, because all of the scenes turned up one way or the other on the DE DVD.

Regarding the DE, I coudn't care less ... I watched it once, and I will never watch it again. I think it's just wrong to fiddle with a movie's fx some 20 years after its release. But I've said that many times before, no need to revive that discussion again.
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn

Last edited by Oso Blanco; October 13 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 08:13 AM   #57
Leto_II
Commander
 
Leto_II's Avatar
 
Location: Room 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Maurice wrote: View Post
As to Wise's re-edit. I think it's safe to say that the DE is no such thing. We've discussed it again and again, and the DE feels like a fan edit that Wise said yes to. There's some good editorial choices and a lot of head scratchers.
According to the DVD documentary "Redirecting the Future," Wise himself personally supervised the re-cutting after approaching the Paramount executives about wanting to put together a final "check-cut" of the film.

It's probably safe to assume that he OK'd each of the changes made to the film, including many of those mystifying, "why-the-hell-did-he-trim-that?" edits. Though I've long wondered whether some of the later DE cuts were his idea personally, or suggestions of the editorial staff working under him.
__________________
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 10:22 AM   #58
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Leto_II wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
As to Wise's re-edit. I think it's safe to say that the DE is no such thing. We've discussed it again and again, and the DE feels like a fan edit that Wise said yes to. There's some good editorial choices and a lot of head scratchers.
According to the DVD documentary "Redirecting the Future," Wise himself personally supervised the re-cutting after approaching the Paramount executives about wanting to put together a final "check-cut" of the film.

It's probably safe to assume that he OK'd each of the changes made to the film, including many of those mystifying, "why-the-hell-did-he-trim-that?" edits. Though I've long wondered whether some of the later DE cuts were his idea personally, or suggestions of the editorial staff working under him.
Right. To call it a "fan edit" is false, heck, Wise has a better idea of good editing than most fans would claim (though not the best, if that masturbatory scene of Kirk looking at the Enterprise for five minutes says something). If the DE is anything it's a more polished version of TMP, something we may have gotten had he been allowed the time. Kind of like the BLADE RUNNER final cut, which is similar to the labeled "Director's Cut" but is actually more properly edited/pieced together.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 12:05 PM   #59
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post

I think that all the negatives where there when they did the DE. Some scenes from the SLV turned up in the DE, some as deleted scenes. No idea if those came from the original negatives, though.
Not everything in the DE came from the original negatives. The new special effect sequences (which Wikipedia tells me comprised "90 new and redesigned computer-generated images" were done digitally, and as I am led to understand it the assets used back in 2001 to construct these sequences no longer exist. So those sequences, at the very least, would have to either be cut (which would remove the whole point of the Director's Edition), or replaced completely with brand new versions remade with HD technology (which would be costly for the studio). Neither seems very likely.

As you say, in theory a number of the trims, cuts and redubbed live-action scenes from the DE could be made by simply scanning those negatives and then making the changes to reflect how they appeared in the DE. But those particular new special effects sequences could be what tips a release of the DE in Blu Ray format into the "too hard" basket.
You're talking about the DE, I was talking about the SLV ... referring to the post that I quoted. And I do think that all the negatives needed for the SLV were there when they did the DE, because all of the scenes turned up one way or the other on the DE DVD.

Regarding the DE, I coudn't care less ... I watched it once, and I will never watch it again. I think it's just wrong to fiddle with a movie's fx some 20 years after its release. But I've said that many times before, no need to revive that discussion again.

Ah, my mistake. Yeah, I agree 100% about the DE, it's interesting and all but it isn't by any means my definitive version. IMO, for all the shit it gets, it's far better that the theatrical cut is out there and available. I hate hate HATE it when movie makers restrict the original cuts on home video in favor of later re-edits.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 12:12 AM   #60
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

What the PR people said about the depth of Wise's involvement and what actually transpired isn't provable, obviously, but the editorial choices in the film don't match what Wise previously said he wanted to do if he could recut the film, and the number of fan wanky changes made in the DE smack of someone else driving the bus (hello Sharpline).
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.