To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 12 2013, 06:51 PM   #871
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Yes, but future remastering projects are so incredibly determined by current sales figures.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 08:41 PM   #872
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post

Besides, this isn't just about Blu-ray sales. Preparing these shows in HD will pay dividends in digital distribution. That's where the "real" money will be.
Problem is, that it has been out for more than a year here in the States and there is still no deal for domestic TV or digital distribution.
Old October 12 2013, 09:04 PM   #873
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post

Besides, this isn't just about Blu-ray sales. Preparing these shows in HD will pay dividends in digital distribution. That's where the "real" money will be.
Problem is, that it has been out for more than a year here in the States and there is still no deal for domestic TV or digital distribution.
TNG HD is already being shown in the UK. I think TNG HD is also being sold on itunes right now.

I imagine the American networks are waiting until all the TNG seasons are remastered before buying the rerun rights.

I personally don't see any American network having any interest in buying VOY HD reruns. TOS and TNG have the nostalgic factor going for them, VOY doesn't.
Old October 12 2013, 10:49 PM   #874
BillJ
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post

I imagine the American networks are waiting until all the TNG seasons are remastered before buying the rerun rights.
The only place TNG is currently playing in the States is on BBC America. Not sure too many channels are falling all over themselves for the HD rights.
Old October 12 2013, 11:09 PM   #875
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

The only place TNG is currently playing in the States is on BBC America. Not sure too many channels are falling all over themselves for the HD rights.
This is just personal opinion, but my intuition tells me TOS is the only "keeper" Trek in the pantheon, the only Trek that's truly entered the long term public "zeitgeist" (hate that word, can't believe I just used it).

I feel the other Trek's, even TNG, will steadily decrease in their impact and extended awareness in popular culture - DS9, VOY and ENT are probably already a long way down the hole I'm sad to say.

It's always been about Kirk, Spock and Bones (Uhura)! Probably always will be - I'm not too unhappy about that though!
Old October 13 2013, 12:04 AM   #876
Dream
Admiral

TNG is also occasionally rerun on SyFy.

I don't believe any of the last three Trek shows are being being shown in reruns right now in the States.
Old October 13 2013, 12:15 AM   #877
Harvey
Admiral

Searching TV Guide doesn't show anything except TNG reruns on BBC. That can't be comprehensive, though -- TOS is in syndication on local channels all the time. At least, it was the last time I actually spent time at someone's house where they had cable (maybe six weeks ago).

Honestly, I mostly stick to Netflix these days. It's really the only affordable option (for me).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 10:37 AM   #878
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Reruns isn't going to be the only factor. There's streaming services like Netflix. Odd though, that Netflix hasn't replaced the older SD version with HD, while other programs like Hulu have. Perhaps when TNG is finalized in HD that's when networks and streaming services will offer more of TNG in HD.

As for DS9 and VOY, well, I suppose we'll find out about that sooner after TNG is finished. The last time I'm aware any of those shows aired on a network was as far as 2008 on Spike TV, and they only acquired the rights for VOY in 2007 so it was only for a year more or less that they aired them.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 10:20 PM   #879
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Searching TV Guide doesn't show anything except TNG reruns on BBC. That can't be comprehensive, though -- TOS is in syndication on local channels all the time. At least, it was the last time I actually spent time at someone's house where they had cable (maybe six weeks ago).

Honestly, I mostly stick to Netflix these days. It's really the only affordable option (for me).
TOS is in syndication with MeTV, they have a Saturday night block of Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows.
So aside from that and TNG on BBC America there is no other regular national syndication of Trek in the USA right now. Which is a huge shame, in the late-90s to early-2000s Trek was easily available on TV.

As you pointed out, the wide availability of Trek on streaming services (Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu all have Trek) may be part of the reason why we don't see it on linear TV much right now.
SpHeRe31459 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 11:01 PM   #880
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I feel the other Trek's, even TNG, will steadily decrease in their impact and extended awareness in popular culture - DS9, VOY and ENT are probably already a long way down the hole I'm sad to say.
I think TNG still has some public awareness, but, yeah, the public have all but forgotten the others.
Old October 13 2013, 11:07 PM   #881
Dream
Admiral

If you think TNG's bluray sale numbers are disappointing, you should definitely look at ENT's bluray sale numbers!
Old October 13 2013, 11:16 PM   #882
MakeshiftPython
Captain

If you think TNG's bluray sale numbers are disappointing, you should definitely look at ENT's bluray sale numbers!
Given how unaware I am of its trackings, it must be that bad.

Seriously though, I would like to know the tracking of all the Trek blus. What's the best place that has the info?
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 11:21 PM   #883
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Wasn't TOS still outselling ENT when ENT was first released?

EDIT: This is the post I remembered reading from the ENT Blu-ray threat in the ENT forum. Posted by Scotty on July 29. No actual numbers, though, just an Amazon ranking.
Today's Amazon UK's Film and TV (DVD & BD) rankings are:

TNG S4 #116
ENT S2 #3,222

To be fair, today is the release day of TNG S4 and ENT S2 isn't out yet. So let's compare the other TNG releases with ENT S1 and we get this.

TNG S3 #3,173
ENT s1 #24,584

TNG S2 #6,025
TNG S1 #5,582

Again, no sales numbers but these rankings show that even the 5 year old release of TOS season 1 (# 20,191) is currently outselling ENT S1. All I'm saying is that it's very possible that some Paramount UK marketer looking at this chart might think it's a good idea to try something different pricewise.
Not really that helpful.
Old October 15 2013, 09:31 PM   #884
LtChange
Commander

I'm not that worried for this sale numbers. They are OK. Season 1 was a curiosity so almost every fan wanted to buy day one. Now that it is something normal these releases I think there is no urgency to buy day 1, so the 2-3 month period is much better indicator of the success than the day 1/week 1 sale figures.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 09:40 PM   #885
BillJ
Admiral

LtChange wrote: View Post
I'm not that worried for this sale numbers. They are OK. Season 1 was a curiosity so almost every fan wanted to buy day one. Now that it is something normal these releases I think there is no urgency to buy day 1, so the 2-3 month period is much better indicator of the success than the day 1/week 1 sale figures.
I think the more concerning thing would be that they're difficult to find at local retailers on release day now. I went to a couple different Wal-Mart's looking for season four and they hadn't even received any after carrying seasons one, two and three. Plus people around here were having issues finding it at Target, my local one had ordered something like four copies for release day and I haven't seen it in stock since.

I can't speak for how they're selling but I did notice it was tougher to find season four on retailers shelves (in my area).