Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 10 2013, 01:43 AM   #76
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: To Boldly Go

True dat.
Old October 10 2013, 01:46 AM   #77
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

BigJake wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The more I think about it, the more I get the impression that Trek fans are a hindrance in themselves. They think other people would not understand something, even though that is complete bull.
It is rather ironic that some of the arguments for "needing" ties to the old continuity are similar to old arguments that were once used to kibosh the exercise of filming sci-fi at all. Better to give the viewers something "familiar" like a WWII or Western setting or a good solid cop or detective show, otherwise they might get confused and wander off.

I'm leaning further toward the theory that this is people unconsciously using the apocryphal "general audience" as a stand-in for preferences of theirs that they assume to be general.

David.Blue wrote:
Exercising my brain a bit more, another aspect of the League might be a genuine "Hive" mind, especially if they encounter another race first that badmouths them/it.
It would be refreshing to see a Hive-mind/collective-mind concept that is non-evil as part of the League. Challenging to find a really fresh way to do it after the Borg, but not necessarily impossible.

Let us say the Hive methodically exploits each system it inhabits, terraforming and settling such systems until they are industrialized in the extreme.
Hm. Maybe a bit too close to Borg "assimilation"?

Another thing that might motivate fear on the part of encountering peoples is if the Hive's lifestyle is a genuinely materially attractive one, it's possible to join the "Hive" voluntarily... and the "Hive" makes that offer freely to one and all. Thus presenting the unwitting appearance of "seducing" people into its fold and "enslaving" them.

On this interpretation the Hive would not really be a species but a paradigm. Perhaps even a collectively-sentient ecosystem whose tech is organically based, whose plant-life is just as much a part of decision-making as its humanoids, and which converts worlds into verdant paradises instead of industrial parks.

In this scenario, one of the junior officers would likely be a Vulcan, to be impacted by the proximity of the Hive ship.
I think there are other telepathic races one could use. OTOH it might be fun to see a Vulcan character who for once is not a scientific uber-genius -- though surely knowing it is stereotypically expected of them by everyone, including other Vulcans -- but is a gifted and intuitive telepath, who cannot fully develop her gifts because they are rooted in emotion. Some genuine conflict with the Surakian standard in which the argument isn't rigged in favour of Surakian... ism.
I like both these ideas, a lot! The whole premise of a Hive mind you can simply join, that forms a total gestalt with entire ecosystems--not only fascinating but would probably seem weird in the extreme! Heh heh heh...

And while there've been Vulcans who seemingly did not take the Science route (Saavik for one--and there must have been Vulcan tactical and engineering personnel aboard USS Intrepid), I totally love your notion of one whose telepathy in effect has a big dose of empathy entwined. Might as well be a left-handed lesbian Hispanic Muslim in Arizona!

Also seems to me we've come up with two of the characters--young Miss Kirk and this deviant Vulcan.
Old October 10 2013, 02:06 AM   #78
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Evans and Jake just need to hug. That'll fix everything.
Old October 10 2013, 02:14 AM   #79
BigJake
Rear Admiral

We're putting it in the Happy Box. Hug it out. Hug. It. Out.

David.Blue wrote:
I like both these ideas, a lot! The whole premise of a Hive mind you can simply join, that forms a total gestalt with entire ecosystems--not only fascinating but would probably seem weird in the extreme! Heh heh heh...
Glad you dig it! I was put in mind of it by a great old Mike Resnick story about an alien invasion of Africa by a sentient jungle... I'll dig around and see if I can find reference to it, he does a great job of bringing out how strange and terrifying it is...
Old October 10 2013, 02:25 AM   #80
R. Star
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
We're putting it in the Happy Box. Hug it out. Hug. It. Out.

Guess this is yall then?
Old October 10 2013, 02:39 AM   #81
BigJake
Rear Admiral

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Guess this is yall then?
Heh. Provided I get to wear the black leather pants...
Old October 11 2013, 01:21 AM   #82
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

This deviant Vulcan discussed earlier--the one whose telepathy seems interlaced with Betazed-esque empathy--methinks maybe should have an explicit bit of background of coming from an all-Vulcan colony, perhaps a truly ancient one predating any contact with Earth. An interesting bit of backstory not really touched upon and allows us to tease about which timeline is involved. Maybe.
Old October 11 2013, 02:33 AM   #83
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Interesting. Any particular reason?
Old October 11 2013, 03:14 AM   #84
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Keep folks guessing over whether this is Abrams' timeline or the original. And it opens up some possibilities. Perhaps those on this specific world attempt to be "more Vulcan than Vulcan." I'm just thinking out loud here.
Old October 12 2013, 04:59 AM   #85
BigJake
Rear Admiral

David.Blue wrote: View Post
Keep folks guessing over whether this is Abrams' timeline or the original. And it opens up some possibilities. Perhaps those on this specific world attempt to be "more Vulcan than Vulcan." I'm just thinking out loud here.
I see what you mean, fair enough. Although in fairness I don't think they'd really need to be trying to be "more Vulcan than Vulcan" to point up the absurdly outsized Vulcan obsession with the prestige of their Science Academy. (I have to give it to Abrams: the scene with NuSpock and the Science Academy's rectors in ST09 was nicely done, and believable as a part of Vulcan character as it played out even in the early days of the franchise.)

Perhaps we should have a Klingon pacifist aboard too...
Old October 12 2013, 05:43 AM   #86
BigJake
Rear Admiral

The short story mentioned above, by the way, is actually in an anthology edited by Mike Resnick called "Future Earths: Under African Skies." The story is "Toward Kilimanjaro," by an author whose name I can't recall for the life of me, but it's probably Google-able.
Old October 12 2013, 07:42 PM   #87
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

You know, since in this premise the Captain is not someone we see all the time, we can go with a more elaborate alien makeup as well as an atypical actor for television--perhaps someone with greater prestige who'd be okay with a recurring role but whose schedule doesn't allow for full time?
Old October 31 2013, 05:09 PM   #88
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I made a pinterest board on this idea: http://www.pinterest.com/dmacdowellb...-to-boldly-go/
Old October 31 2013, 10:49 PM   #89
BigJake
Rear Admiral

David.Blue wrote: View Post
You know, since in this premise the Captain is not someone we see all the time, we can go with a more elaborate alien makeup as well as an atypical actor for television--perhaps someone with greater prestige who'd be okay with a recurring role but whose schedule doesn't allow for full time?
Now that we see guys like Kevin Spacey and James Spader doing television, I'm not completely sure I know what "an atypical actor for television" really is anymore... but if one is to have an alien captain, someone who'd be fun to see in alien make-up and would be a badass leader is Nicole Kidman. (Or perhaps more realistically, Claudia Black.)

Some interesting ideas on the Pinterest board. I'm warming to the great-(great-great-great) grand-niece of Kirk notion as patterned on Jennifer Lawrence, whom I love, and I like Ensign V'Kree, too.
Old November 4 2013, 06:24 AM   #90
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

I expanded a bit on the Pinterest board--with two other characters (one human, one alien) among the young officers and a hint of the alternate history thing I mentioned in another thread. Just for fun I said it was the Mirror Universe.