RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,175
Posts: 5,435,559
Members: 24,945
Currently online: 584
Newest member: Adm Nogura

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 24 2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: Transexxual...Transylvania
Re: Other USS Titan designs

Back when I was a young'un (10, 11 years old!), I trolled around the old Bravo Fleet starship encyclopedia and there was this ship. It was so cool looking! Looked like the badass ship Riker deserved.

Yes it looks a bit fanwanky, but who cares?
__________________
Here's proof that I can write something without using the word f**k.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Other USS Titan designs

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Personally, I dislike the official design that graces Titan novels. I expected something a lot more elegant, not something clunky and rather ugly.

I know there was a contest before that design was chosen.
The problem with Pocket Books' Titan design contest was how the ship was described. It was pretty much the exact opposite of the impression I got from Nemesis.

Riker's ship is called the Titan. This is obviously a reference to the powerful Greek gods, since it was established that Riker was holding out for command of the biggest, bestest, baddest ship in the fleet (which was the Enterprise, but he couldn't have that), so "Titan" is more of a meme for his ship being all of the above. But instead, PB decides that the ship is small, and "Titan" is just one of Saturn's moons like the other ships of the class. It kind of completely deflates the original intention of the name.

It also didn't help that, while adhering to PB's rules, the finished product looks like a cross between an Akira and a Sovereign. It's very unoriginal (and that's not a knock on the designer, who I know is very talented).

Did maybe John Eaves do a concept sketch for Nemesis, if it was ever considered to show the ship?
The only "official" drawing was a joke concept art that someone did and signed Rick Sternbach's name to it (Sternbach told me he didn't draw it). It was captioned, "Riker's ship for new movie," or something.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 07:15 PM   #18
JES
Captain
 
Location: Ocoee, Florida
Re: Other USS Titan designs

True, the Luna class as she came out doesn't hold a candle to the Sovvie in aesthetics, and the blocky impulse drives makes me wonder what Sean was thinking when he made them that way, but I've accepted things the way they are (but then again, Sean does have some design aesthetics I consider to be a little 'weird', but I accept his designs as the original ones they are).

The 3D models do justice to her design more than the 2D vector art.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 04:05 PM   #19
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: Other USS Titan designs

Dukhat wrote: View Post
The problem with Pocket Books' Titan design contest was how the ship was described. It was pretty much the exact opposite of the impression I got from Nemesis.

Riker's ship is called the Titan. This is obviously a reference to the powerful Greek gods, since it was established that Riker was holding out for command of the biggest, bestest, baddest ship in the fleet (which was the Enterprise, but he couldn't have that), so "Titan" is more of a meme for his ship being all of the above. But instead, PB decides that the ship is small, and "Titan" is just one of Saturn's moons like the other ships of the class. It kind of completely deflates the original intention of the name.
This was the same impression that I got from "Nemesis" I was expecting something at least Sovereign Class size.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 05:24 AM   #20
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Other USS Titan designs

The ironic thing is that we actually had a chance to see the Titan on screen in TATV, if the writers had chosen to represent Riker and Troi's true ages, instead of trying to make them younger and shoehorning them into a TNG episode that made no sense. Instead of creating a new CGI Enterprise-D, they could have created a new design for Riker's ship (and a better story to go along with it).
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: Other USS Titan designs

Agreed there. I once wrote an alternate version of TATV that had Riker and Troi on the Titan, sans holodeck, and on a post-"Nemesis" peace mission to Romulus, with Riker recalling to Troi from the logs of the era the Earth-Romulan War's Battle of Cheron in which Archer's Enterprise was nobly sacrificed.

Frankly, the easiest choice would have been to make the U.S.S. Titan a Galaxy-class ship. The name fits well, it seems plausible that Riker would want to command it, and plus if there was ever a sequel to "Nemesis" (I know, I know...) you could have both ships of the TNG family onscreen together.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:52 PM   #22
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Other USS Titan designs

Praetor wrote: View Post
Frankly, the easiest choice would have been to make the U.S.S. Titan a Galaxy-class ship. The name fits well, it seems plausible that Riker would want to command it, and plus if there was ever a sequel to "Nemesis" (I know, I know...) you could have both ships of the TNG family onscreen together.
First of all, I would have preferred not to see Riker and Troi at all in ENT's series finale. While the concept of someone from the future observing past events is a good one (and used to excellent effect in Babylon 5), Riker and Troi would have been my last choice for that, especially during the events of "The Pegasus."

Now with that said, if Riker and Troi absolutely had to be in it, here's what I would have done: For "Azati Prime," I would have made the Enterprise-J the Enterprise-F, and set the Procyon battle in the early 25th century, and establish that Riker was in command of the ship even if we didn't see him. Then for TATV, we could finally see both him and the Ent-F, with exposition indicating he took command of the Ent-F after the Titan (there could be a little desktop model of the Titan in his ready room or something). That way, we have links to the ship from Azati Prime, to Riker's original intent to command the Enterprise, and the name link to the NX-01. Then use the idea you came up with about the Romulan peace mission, and we'd have a true winner.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: Other USS Titan designs

Cool idea... you were probably on the money about not having them appear at all being the true solution, though.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 01:49 PM   #24
surak-toc
Commander
 
Re: Other USS Titan designs

that idea sounds bad ass, would like to see that, or possibly read it to say the least, going into detail what would said enterprise be class wise, would the crew be a mixture of rikers titan crew and who evers on the enterprise when riker takes it over and such.

Last edited by surak-toc; October 7 2013 at 02:27 PM.
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:49 PM   #25
JES
Captain
 
Location: Ocoee, Florida
Re: Other USS Titan designs

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Frankly, the easiest choice would have been to make the U.S.S. Titan a Galaxy-class ship. The name fits well, it seems plausible that Riker would want to command it, and plus if there was ever a sequel to "Nemesis" (I know, I know...) you could have both ships of the TNG family onscreen together.
First of all, I would have preferred not to see Riker and Troi at all in ENT's series finale. While the concept of someone from the future observing past events is a good one (and used to excellent effect in Babylon 5), Riker and Troi would have been my last choice for that, especially during the events of "The Pegasus."

Now with that said, if Riker and Troi absolutely had to be in it, here's what I would have done: For "Azati Prime," I would have made the Enterprise-J the Enterprise-F, and set the Procyon battle in the early 25th century, and establish that Riker was in command of the ship even if we didn't see him. Then for TATV, we could finally see both him and the Ent-F, with exposition indicating he took command of the Ent-F after the Titan (there could be a little desktop model of the Titan in his ready room or something). That way, we have links to the ship from Azati Prime, to Riker's original intent to command the Enterprise, and the name link to the NX-01. Then use the idea you came up with about the Romulan peace mission, and we'd have a true winner.
I myself didn't mind that Riker and Troi were in the ENT finale, but wasn't exactly crazy about it either, if you know what I mean.

But I suspect that even if you're idea was suggested, it probably would have been turned down out of hand, due to having to design a new Enterprise, which would only be used for one episode. True, they could have gone with making the F a tease like they did with the Ent-J, but I'd think fans would have expected more, as we are talking about the Enterprise after all. I'm sure that the executives didn't want to have the Enterprise-F designed quickly, only for the fans to be unsatisfied with it, and they sure weren't going to give a lot of time to design a brand new ship (let alone the interior), so... Even though I agree that it would have been a better idea, it would have also taken more time and expense to execute properly.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 10:47 AM   #26
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Other USS Titan designs

JES wrote: View Post
But I suspect that even if you're idea was suggested, it probably would have been turned down out of hand, due to having to design a new Enterprise, which would only be used for one episode. True, they could have gone with making the F a tease like they did with the Ent-J, but I'd think fans would have expected more, as we are talking about the Enterprise after all. I'm sure that the executives didn't want to have the Enterprise-F designed quickly, only for the fans to be unsatisfied with it, and they sure weren't going to give a lot of time to design a brand new ship (let alone the interior), so... Even though I agree that it would have been a better idea, it would have also taken more time and expense to execute properly.
Actually what I meant was that what we saw as the Enterprise-J, should have been the Enterprise-F. Drexler already had a CGI model made of the ship for "Azati Prime" (although all we saw of it was the underside of the saucer through the window). By the time we'd have seen it in "TATV," it would have been fully fleshed out.

And as for the interiors, I don't really see much difference between building sets for the Ent-F as opposed to building sets for all the other ships we saw in the show.

Also, by TATV, everyone pretty much knew Star Trek was dead for the forseeable future. So why the heck not give the fans a treat by designing a new Enterprise? Yeah, it would have just been for one episode, but by that point, so what?
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.