Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 6 2013, 07:16 PM   #856
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

The Caretaker wrote: View Post
I've just watched Night Terrors, and the promo surprised me. The very last shot contains what can only be described as a piece of cheap sponge flying behind the Enterprise. Was this an early abandoned special effect or is it something lifted from another episode? I don't remember ever seeing it before?!
Do you mean this thing (the alien ship in the episode)?

Old September 6 2013, 07:35 PM   #857
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

No, it's a completely different shot and looks pretty bad. It looks like an early version of th alien ship that was scrapped. It's kind of a cross between a sponge and a crystalline rock.
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 01:52 PM   #858
Langenscheiss
Ensign

Watched the art department reunion. While it was not as interesting as the cast reunion, I think it is still an interesting piece to look at. In particular because, unlike the writer's room feature, it was not a repetition of stories already told in the various audio commentaries. I agree, a moderator would have been helpful, but it's imo definitely not a lot worse than the writer's room VAM.
Langenscheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 07:12 AM   #859
Dukhat
Commodore

The Caretaker wrote: View Post
No, it's a completely different shot and looks pretty bad. It looks like an early version of th alien ship that was scrapped. It's kind of a cross between a sponge and a crystalline rock.
Yep, I just watched the promo on Youtube and it's there. Certainly looks like a scrapped VFX shot of a completely different-looking alien ship than what was seen in the ep, and I don't think that shot was used anywhere else.
Old September 12 2013, 02:37 PM   #860
NewHorizon
Captain

Just got my Season 4 Blus in the mail yesterday. Watched a few episodes and while it's not HTV bad, I can definitely notice the slight drop in quality over CBS-D's work.

Not bad, but noticeable.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 08:04 AM   #861
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Just got my Season 4 Blus in the mail yesterday. Watched a few episodes and while it's not HTV bad, I can definitely notice the slight drop in quality over CBS-D's work.

Not bad, but noticeable.
I'd say it's halfway between HTV's best work and CBS-D's average work.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 10:28 AM   #862
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Not counting Galaxy's Child, which contains some of the worst work in the whole project.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 09:24 PM   #863
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I was disappointed with "Galaxy's Child" it was a little *too* faithful to the original crude CGI work. If I didn't know better I'd say they used the same CGI. I was expecting to be utterly wowed by the look of the CGI "Junior" and its mother. But, instead, it looked exactly the same (by and large.) Which is fine but there are some cases with this project I wish they had just gone ahead and done a TOS-R-like "perfection" of the look of the show (in particular using the 6-foot model or a CGI-recreation for the whole project rather than keeping the various iterations of the ship in so we're maintaining the 3 or 4 different looks of the ship rather than one consistent look the entire series.)

But Junior, yikes. They go all out with making the Crystaline Entity look marvelous and beautiful in "Datalore" and in "Galaxy's Child" Junior looks pretty much exactly the same?! Sigh.

The next big "effect" I can think of in the series is the destruction of the ship in "Cause and Effect" be interesting to see how that's done or if they'll just use the same crude model explosion from the original cut of the episode.

One thing is for damn-sure, though. They better fix the phaser blast coming from the torpedo tube in "Darmok." That one will NOT stand!
Old September 13 2013, 09:35 PM   #864
trekker670
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But Junior, yikes. They go all out with making the Crystaline Entity look marvelous and beautiful in "Datalore" and in "Galaxy's Child" Junior looks pretty much exactly the same?! Sigh.

The next big "effect" I can think of in the series is the destruction of the ship in "Cause and Effect" be interesting to see how that's done or if they'll just use the same crude model explosion from the original cut of the episode.

One thing is for damn-sure, though. They better fix the phaser blast coming from the torpedo tube in "Darmok." That one will NOT stand!
I think a lot of it comes down to the Chrystaline Entity being done by CBS-D and Junior by Modern Video. I'm not one to bash the outsourcing companies, because any improvement is better than a straight upconversion, but CBS-D really are on the top of their game with this project (unlike TOS-R, where outsourcing probably would have been better).

I'm sure Cause and Effect will be great, given that's often considered one of the more popular episodes and it's being done by CBS-D.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was unofficially confirmed (perhaps by the Okudas?) that the torpedo/phaser shot in Darmok would be fixed.
trekker670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 10:20 PM   #865
MickJo1701
Commander

There's a shot from Cause and Effect at the end of the Season 5 trailer, I was hoping for an improvement similar to the Borg Cube explosion for BoBW but it looks like it wont happen.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 11:02 PM   #866
trekker670
Captain

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
There's a shot from Cause and Effect at the end of the Season 5 trailer, I was hoping for an improvement similar to the Borg Cube explosion for BoBW but it looks like it wont happen.
We've also seen a few times where fx shots in the trailers weren't the final version that was released with the final product.
trekker670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 02:32 AM   #867
NewHorizon
Captain

A few things that are really bugging me about MV's work is the bluescreen spill and the lack of grain in certain shots where the enterprise is orbiting a planet. The Enterprise is in the foreground with grain, but the planet is pixel perfect. That stuff should never have happened.

In any case, it's passable. I'm happy CBS-D will be handling the rest of the series though.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 09:26 AM   #868
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

The-Numbers.com has now posted Blu-Ray sales charts für the last week of July. According to the chart the fourth season was able to sell 12,362 units for a total of $741,613 in it's first week. You can see it here: http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-bluray-sales-chart

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that kind of bad considering what Season 1 sold in week 1 (also from the-numbers.com):

The best new release of the week was Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season One which sold 95,000 units and generated $5.73 million in revenue. This revenue was tops for the week. This is an excellent start for a TV on DVD release, especially one that's not a first-run release.

Seasons 2 and 3 didn't make it into the Top 10.

Last edited by Cap.T; October 12 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 02:24 PM   #869
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Cap.T wrote: View Post
The-Numbers.com has now posted Blu-Ray sales charts für the last week of July. According to the chart the fourth season was able to sell 12,362 units for a total of $741,613 in it's first week. You can see it here: http://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-bluray-sales-chart

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that kind of bad considering what Season 1 sold in week 1 (also from the-numbers.com):

The best new release of the week was Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season One which sold 95,000 units and generated $5.73 million in revenue. This revenue was tops for the week. This is an excellent start for a TV on DVD release, especially one that's not a first-run release.

Seasons 2 and 3 didn't make it into the Top 10.
If sales continue to slide, it may put in danger the HD releases of DS9 and Voyager. How is the Enterprise release going from a sales standpoint?
Old October 12 2013, 06:42 PM   #870
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I know of at least two friends who are waiting for the entire show to be out in order to buy them at once. Perhaps there will be a spike in sales after season 7 is out.

Besides, this isn't just about Blu-ray sales. Preparing these shows in HD will pay dividends in digital distribution. That's where the "real" money will be.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote